Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    So after looking at my top 100 playlist I see one song from Jay Z and one from Los Tigres and six songs from Sturgill Simpson. What are the metrics? I have a hard time believing that I listened to those 2 songs more individually than the collective 6 from Sturgill?

I do like to sing La Puerta Negra when drunk, but it's not THAT often.
    I'm really not sure. I assume that they are in order of most listens. My list checks out in that way.
    swing your fucking sword.

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    So after looking at my top 100 playlist I see one song from Jay Z and one from Los Tigres and six songs from Sturgill Simpson. What are the metrics? I have a hard time believing that I listened to those 2 songs more individually than the collective 6 from Sturgill?

I do like to sing La Puerta Negra when drunk, but it's not THAT often.
    Mine is similar. Songs by bands I thought might be in the tops 5 are all over my top one hundred. There are two Beatles songs near the bottom of the list. Sometimes I accidentally hit the "play" button on my laptop and Spotify starts up while muted and I don't notice until later on. Maybe I did this over a long workday with "This is the Beatles" cued up?

My six year old has funny taste in music. His top 5 songs (the songs on my top 100 he has requested over and over again):

1) Good Times Roll- The Cars
    2) Juke Box Hero- Foreigner
    3) My My Hey Hey- Neil Young
    4) The Imperial March- John Williams
    5) Ghost Busters- Ray Parker jr.

The first three are 1, 2, 4 on my list. Recently he want me to play songs he's heard in video games. I mostly say "no."

Quote Originally Posted by North View Post
    Beastie Boys
    Black Sabbath
    Cobra Man
    A Tribe Called Quest
    Led Zeppelin

I mostly use Spotify to bounce around and listen to new stuff, so any repeated listening makes an outsized impact on the Wrapped. Sabbath phase in March, Beasties week in September, Cobra Man in August. Tribe and Zep are staples however.
    Yeah, I keep Spotify fresh and use it for music discovery. If I want to listen to something classic I use my own library or pull it up on Amazon.

Algorithms suck. Pandora just gets stuck in a death spiral of the same shit. I miss Songza and good curated playlists. They often spanned multiple genres but had a consistent vibe.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    All this is telling me is there is absolutely no reason to get Spotify, let alone pay for it, as it doesn't seem much better than regular radio. Or Pandora. Or Prime. Or Google/YouTube.

I blame the music industry.
    Most of what I listen to on Spotify are curated playlists that are 100% comprised of music that I put on the playlist. And obviously there's no ads. And I can add pretty much any music I want to any of those playlists at any time - it's pretty rare that I can't find a particular artist or song on spotify. I basically pay $10 / month to own every album ever made. And I can download all of that music, so I can listen in places that don't have cell reception (like while skiing, for example).

That's a lot different than regular radio. It's probably similar to the paid services on Pandora or Prime. Not sure - haven't used either of those in years.

But as someone who listens to a lot of music, Spotify is easily the best thing I've ever come across / used.

Spotify Wrapped - 2020

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post

But as someone who listens to a lot of music, Spotify is easily the best thing I've ever come across / used.
    X2. The algorithm has recommended artists to me that I really dig and I can’t see how I would have found out about them otherwise.

31k of listening minutes down from 48k in 2019
    Last edited by Self Jupiter; 12-03-2020 at 01:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Self Jupiter View Post
    31k of listening minutes down from 48k in 2019
    Yeah, I was at 53k minutes this year. That's almost 37 days of continuous music listening. I'm fairly positive there's no other app that I use more.

Whoa, 83k minutes/yr of listening here. I put on Daily Mixes a lot of the day.

Right now it’s playing Sing To Me, Willie - Edie Brickell and Willie Nelson.

Most of what I listen to on Spotify are curated playlists that are 100% comprised of music that I put on the playlist. And obviously there's no ads. And I can add pretty much any music I want to any of those playlists at any time - it's pretty rare that I can't find a particular artist or song on spotify. I basically pay $10 / month to own every album ever made. And I can download all of that music, so I can listen in places that don't have cell reception (like while skiing, for example).

That's a lot different than regular radio. It's probably similar to the paid services on Pandora or Prime. Not sure - haven't used either of those in years.

Yep, this is how I use it too.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    Yep, this is how I use it too.
    Same here. After 5 or so years of heavy use the recommendations have gotten pretty good too.

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    Same here. After 5 or so years of heavy use the recommendations have gotten pretty good too.
    Yup. And I've found a bunch of good stuff off of the recommendations in the Discover Weekly playlist.

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    Who were your top 5 artists on Spotify this year now that their 'Wrapped' is out?

Mine were:
    -Hiss Golden Messenger
    -Drive By Truckers
    -Fruit Bats
    -Jason Isbell & the 400 Unit
    -Wilco

So is that "New Americana" or "Indie Folk"?
    lets hang out

Mine
    Isbell & 400 Unit
    John Moreland
    Jesse Daniel
    Son Little
    John Prine

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
    lets hang out

Mine
    Isbell & 400 Unit
    John Moreland
    Jesse Daniel
    Son Little
    John Prine
    FWIW - I listened to 1609 different songs in 2020, but I like your style.

I guess in a pandemic you revert to "comfort music."

Despite having listened to, apparently, 366 new to me artists this year and 851 total artists, my top 5 were:

Old 97s
    Talking Heads
    David Bowie
    Eric Clapton
    Grateful Dead

Top 10 songs (no song over 15 times):
    Steady Rollin Man - Clapton
    Blue Sky - Allman's
    Fat Man in the Bathtub - Littlefeat
    Give it Up or Let Me Go - Bonnie Raitt
    The Man Who Sold The World - Bowie
    Rock and Roll - Velvet Underground
    Steady - Giant Panda Guerilla Dub Squad
    If - Kat Edmonson
    Aladdin Sane - Bowie
    City Looks Pretty - Courtney Barnett
    Climb to Safety - Widespread Panic

(yes, that's 11, you Spinal Tap lover you.)
    I can't figure out how many songs I listened to. Don't see that stat.

We have a family subscription, so this is just stuff I listened to on my phone on my personal account. Would be a totally different mix for the family account that plays over the speakers in the house. I might have to try to figure that one out. Would be interesting.

Finally, when I was growing up one of my biggest fantasies was winning one of those contests to go on a $5,000 music shopping spree and get all the music I wanted. That's what spotify is. Greatest thing ever.

Also, my kid apparently listened to 18,000 minutes of the Dead on his account. I am a success as a parent, obviously.
    Last edited by EWG; 12-03-2020 at 04:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ticketchecker View Post
    It appears we're both trending with the Indie Folk. Did Cotton Jones or Rose City Band come into your rotation at all? I like Rose City a lot
    RCB is the shit. They were my most listened to album.

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    Whoa, 83k minutes/yr of listening here. I put on Daily Mixes a lot of the day.

Right now it’s playing Sing To Me, Willie - Edie Brickell and Willie Nelson.
    I was getting into it with my 17 and 19 year old daughter's who each have their own accounts and put in just about 52K minutes. That's excessive (for them).

Quote Originally Posted by stapes View Post
    RCB is the shit. They were my most listened to album.
    I found them by googling Wooden Shjips who got served up to me a few times. Same guy as RCB I think

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I was curious to see my stats. But my account is a family account, shared by five people.
    The top ten stuff was all garbage.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Spotify Wrapped - 2020

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	54790401-8C78-4D66-9859-4E01F280AAD0.jpeg 
Views:	55 
Size:	125.6 KB 
ID:	351028

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5BFA4FA1-E570-4756-AAE3-539C65228DD0.jpeg 
Views:	36 
Size:	207.0 KB 
ID:	351029
    Washed Out rules. Quite the variety!

I’m thinking my top 5 really favors what I listen to while I do chores or something active

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    FWIW - I listened to 1609 different songs in 2020, but I like your style.
    1,116 different artists for me.

Listening to my top 100 tonght, lot of Petty, Justin Townes Earle, tribe called quest, waxahatchee, Michael Kiwanuka..

Spotify Wrapped - 2020

We have a family account so the Sonos is logged in as me and the Spotify is a little twisted on the other listeners

Usually a lot of lo fi chill music for the work day in the studio

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
    1,116 different artists for me.

Listening to my top 100 tonght, lot of Petty, Justin Townes Earle, tribe called quest, waxahatchee, Michael Kiwanuka..
    1523 artists for me.

My top 100 has a lot of good songs, but is a little too diverse to make a great playlist.

Ok, fair enough.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Self Jupiter View Post
    But how many times did you get sued by Metallica?