Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeeze View Post
    Saddlebag Lake is the place to be on the Eastside right now. Skin straight from the car, perfect corn on all aspects, not even getting sticky on the exit.

Conness north couloirs don’t have an open schrund surprisingly, but neither go from the top. Lookers right had a few tracks, lookers left doesn’t look worthwhile. Attachment 374131
    This is all true

Tremendous, whatsupdoc! Skiing Ionia about 20 years ago ranks pretty high among my favorite ski treks ever.

Way to go WUD!
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

WUD - if you don’t mind, what type of boot binding is that on the tele set up? Great TR & Thanks

Excellent TRs, whatsupdoc and jorion!

Quote Originally Posted by Skeeze View Post
    Saddlebag Lake is the place to be on the Eastside right now. Skin straight from the car, perfect corn on all aspects, not even getting sticky on the exit.

Conness north couloirs don’t have an open schrund surprisingly, but neither go from the top. Lookers right had a few tracks, lookers left doesn’t look worthwhile.
    lol maybe not perfect corn on all aspects

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5466.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	735.2 KB 
ID:	374177

partners bailed on a plan for a multiday tour but still a fun weekend out there

Quote Originally Posted by Surfer 7 View Post
    WUD - if you don’t mind, what type of boot binding is that on the tele set up? Great TR & Thanks
    He's using the Kreuzspitze Tele tech setup.

https://skimo.co/kreuzspitze-telemark-kit

He's got Speed Radical toes and uses Voile cables for the down. He uses Voile heel risers for touring. The boot is still the limiting factor. All of the NTN tele boots (? all 3 of them) with tech fittings are still heavy and don't walk well. He uses the Scott Voodoo NTN I believe.

We hit various aspects near Saddlebag rd on Fri and Sat to take advantage of the cooler nights. True north was softening around 11-12, and lots of good corn on NE aspects but more SE/E aspects were surprisingly deep slush by 10 am despite the 25 F morning temps. Overall some killer corn skiing that helped mitigate the sad trombone conditions I’ve been seeing posted on IG for Shasta. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D549FB7B-9002-49E0-8E0D-4692D1E01B5A.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	890.1 KB 
ID:	374179

Quote Originally Posted by whatsupdoc View Post
    He's using the Kreuzspitze Tele tech setup.

https://skimo.co/kreuzspitze-telemark-kit

He's got Speed Radical toes and uses Voile cables for the down. He uses Voile heel risers for touring. The boot is still the limiting factor. All of the NTN tele boots (? all 3 of them) with tech fittings are still heavy and don't walk well. He uses the Scott Voodoo NTN I believe.
    Yup he’s using the voodoo, quite a bit heavier and stiffer than the TX Pro. Much respect for his dedication on a longer tour like that. I said fuck it & went F1s but when Scarpa finally releases their light, stiff NTN tech fitting boot I look fwd to going tele backcountry again for at least the pow and corn days.

Quote Originally Posted by sruffian View Post
    lol maybe not perfect corn on all aspects

Name:	IMG_5466.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	735.2 KB 
ID:	374177

partners bailed on a plan for a multiday tour but still a fun weekend out there
    hard to tell, is that the lookers right Conness summit couloir? Can you get through to the plateau with some drytooling if you wanted to tag the summit, or is that just booting up to the high snow point and delicately putting skis on? (never seen it like that in 20 years of skiing Conness )

Quote Originally Posted by chill winston View Post
    hard to tell, is that the lookers right Conness summit couloir? Can you get through to the plateau with some drytooling if you wanted to tag the summit, or is that just booting up to the high snow point and delicately putting skis on? (never seen it like that in 20 years of skiing Conness )
    hey Rich. Yeah that is the summit couloir. you can still climb snow to the plateau from the summit couloir, but the upper portion above the ice was much too sketch for us to drop. Sruffian's pic is of me and JimW.

Good to meet you out there Sruffian.

Great TRs whatsupdoc and jorion

A comparatively mellow adventure, the beers didn't taste as good because we didn't have to carry them so far, but we managed. Some north facing lines hanging in there.

Name:	eOVC13JC_FPJK14oW3uMipw7pXit4y4yhV-DCOaBMXVD7lne661gZ5jLAsGrJK40bkfEqUhrKwuAn2CXNT1t7tqTClD1ueAq.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	482.5 KB 
ID:	374345

Long booter, but an easy approach. Felt pretty weird to leave the skins at the car.

Name:	UaFIeSs5NxvZBm9D4-FSBz_-55AArNmuhTBJYiDeCIpUlyRpfZPZhk6aaNKoUhQTwZZv-llFcRWbpsSYf4tNbTvu3MNqXNJm.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	423.8 KB 
ID:	374347

Green lake zone looking pretty cooked from the top. East face of Virginia peak looking pretty grim as well, maybe one day...

Name:	ZQsFJAKT2J8Dw3vCu6DEj0hGZKslj0PAsn-SFpW0JK1iawKi0DugGyhMRLOCg7-hMDyNWY-J66u3EKgrNjzUXMiOnCuQ-BOL.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	414.3 KB 
ID:	374346

We took our sweet time, got a late start, enjoyed the views and were rewarded with excellent spring snow for most of the run. Headed up to Sonora pass the next day, and scored some more excellent spring snow. Always a good time.

Name:	LClu_c8WhzWUfSjjhLY5Ga1pLx_7AW6ZpUypYe6lNctm4PWYDX8KbgoOz5TVZkw0kotzm-e1mIO05wmKCxYHbvGAddYURVrI.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	300.2 KB 
ID:	374348

Quote Originally Posted by pajamas View Post
    Good to meet you out there Sruffian.
    small world. That was a chill day I ended up skiing up GPS and then that line up the other side of conness from top of gps for a decently long tour after skunked on the coulie. I still never found my ice axe...

Damn, I haven't been on the eastside thread in a while, or to the eastside itself in like 2 years (I'm not counting a trip last Feb in about the worst snow conditions possible; after riding Old Man's Bowl with sagebrush sticking out at the top, we ended up doing more mountain biking and climbing than snow sliding). Just when you think there's nothing good to report, this thread delivers! Some great stuff here folks, thanks for keeping the stoke alive!

I gotta call out jorion though, man that was some of the funniest (and still rad) shit I've seen in a long time. This could be the soundtrack to my backcountry "career":

Quote Originally Posted by jorion View Post
    We felt plenty strong and stoke was high. Shit, were we actually going to get this done?

And then we turned the corner and...[RECORD SCRATCH]

A few more notes:

Quote Originally Posted by pajamas View Post
    hey Rich. Yeah that is the summit couloir. you can still climb snow to the plateau from the summit couloir, but the upper portion above the ice was much too sketch for us to drop. Sruffian's pic is of me and JimW.
    Damn I thought that ass looked familiar! Oh wait...

Quote Originally Posted by chill winston View Post
    Steeleman! I was thinking the same thing, I've never seen the summit chutes looking like that. No schrund at the bottom of the main summit chute or "fruitcake" on lookers left, but way thinner than usual. Basically the summit chute is the only one over there that even goes to the ridge. It does go, but right where it gets thinner at the top it's above a huge patch of blue ice. It is doable, but you have to make a quick skiers left jog above the blue ice in a tight/steep spot. PJ and I weren't feeling it. On the way up were talking shit about how we were going to straightline it over the ice ... then we got up in there and were like uh, no. I did boot up to the top just to get on the plateau and look around, it's easy right now to boot the rest of the way if you wanted to summit, just a sketch descent so I downclimbed back to the spot where it widens out next to the ice which is where we dropped.

Quote Originally Posted by sruffian View Post
    small world. That was a chill day I ended up skiing up GPS and then that line up the other side of conness from top of gps for a decently long tour after skunked on the coulie. I still never found my ice axe...
    SHIT!!! I was out there again the next day and on the way back out by Greenstone a group literally asked me if I knew anyone who lost an axe!! Shit shit shit! Didn't get their names. Group of 3, 2 gals and a dude, and a dog. I have some pics somewhere, though prolly doesn't help at this point. I mentioned they might want to leave it at the parking area in case whoever owned it came back but dunno if they did.

Anyway, uh... nice to meet you out there! Hope you find your axe...

Also PJ, your last post was number 395. Coincidence? I think not!!

Quote Originally Posted by jimw View Post
    SHIT!!! I was out there again the next day and on the way back out by Greenstone a group literally asked me if I knew anyone who lost an axe!! Shit shit shit! Didn't get their names. Group of 3, 2 gals and a dude, and a dog. I have some pics somewhere, though prolly doesn't help at this point. I mentioned they might want to leave it at the parking area in case whoever owned it came back but dunno if they did.
    Here's a pic of the crew on Sunday with the cute dog who asked about the missing axe, in case it helps you find it...

oh that's funny as shit! never had anything like that happen before

maybe i can track it down this weekend...might even be quiet out there w/ thundersnow in the forecast but who knows any more in the bc.

nice ass jim w

Hot tub rumors of it nuking up at VA Lakes yesterday afternoon. Clouds clearing now and it looks like there was a snowfall to our north towards June. Driving that way in a few hours. Should be pretty.

No pics, but the peaks around VA Lakes and up toward the Sawtooths were covered in fresh snow at 2:30-3pm yesterday. Not a ton of it from looking from 395, but you could see snow on the talus still. Raining pretty hard as we drove past Mono. Heavy hail and then a good amount of rain falling on the west slope of 108. Pass did not look like it got fresh snow.

Opening Sonora weekend

Name:	IMG_7844.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	1.49 MB 
ID:	375208Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7846.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	1.44 MB 
ID:	375209Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7849.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	1.77 MB 
ID:	375210Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7862.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	1.79 MB 
ID:	375211Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7897.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	2.05 MB 
ID:	375212

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I scored a solo ski day in the eastern Sierra on May 18th during my family ski vacation last week. It started with pushing my bike up 2,700 vertical feet in about three miles, flowed by a half mile walk in ski boots to the couloir. From there it was 2,000 feet up to the summit. I had low expectations in snow quality and likelihood of topping out since I started later than planned at six am, but the boot pack up was in two inches of corn until near the top, when it became firmer, but still starting to turn to corn. Two inches of snow had fallen several days before that corned up and filled in sun cups which made the ski down totally blissful. The super fast bike ride out to the car was just as fun and a total bonus. I was really stoked to get onto my first eastern Sierra line in a couple years and ski something classic, but new to me.

Name:	IMG_1033.JPG 
Views:	65 
Size:	184.2 KB 
ID:	375667

Name:	IMG_1045.JPG 
Views:	67 
Size:	314.4 KB 
ID:	375668

Name:	IMG_1075.JPG 
Views:	68 
Size:	218.6 KB 
ID:	375669

Name:	IMG_1101.JPG 
Views:	66 
Size:	217.5 KB 
ID:	375670

Is there any reason you're not making this couloir?

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk

Eastern Sierra Backcountry Thread 2020-21

Do you need a picture from the top?

Name:	IMG_1116.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	777.6 KB 
ID:	375677

I know where this is, i skied it twice, i just don't get the"it's secret" attitude

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk

Cmon rod…..in this day and age of internet fuckery that’s just how it is. You said you’ve already skied it twice so why do you even care? It’s responses like yours that will just get people to stop posting anything at all. If someone doesn’t want to share location then you need to respect that and stfu