Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ntblanks View Post
    look what you did SUF. a legit thread.
    ain't that something
    swing your fucking sword.

North of South, South of North, West of East
    I lost all respect for Snowshoe when I went up with a couple buddies in 2013 ('ish) and there was a monster storm forecast. Sure enough the weather came through and it snowed about 18" in 24 hours. Stoked to hit some legit pow, we got up early in the morning and found.........

the entire fucking mountain had been groomed that morning; every single run. There was about 1-2" of fresh on to[ of the groomers. Everyone was just raving about how great the powder skiing was, dumbasses wouldn't know powder if I shoved up their noses. To add insult to injury, got my ticket pulled for skiing the trees between the runs and actually finding some snow.

So yeah, fuck Snowshoe.

Did manage to find this little spot on the edge of one of the runs though.

Name:  SS Tele.jpg
Views: 2636
Size:  55.5 KB
    I should probably change my username to IReallyDon'tTeleMuchAnymoreDave.

meadows stoke. a day not too long ago. pretty crowded.
    -might have been poached early.
    -Allegedly.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	meadows02.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	763.1 KB 
ID:	353187
    "Can't you see..."

The Southeast Thread.

In a really good snow year, the Beech Mtn powerline clearing is in play.

SkiATL, SEMaggot, and I were able to partake the last good snow year we had, about 10 years ago

Name:	Powerline.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	252.8 KB 
ID:	353195

Name:	Powerline Bottom.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	230.4 KB 
ID:	353196

Name:	Beech Mtn Powerline.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	156.7 KB 
ID:	353197

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Blackbeard View Post
    In a really good snow year, the Beech Mtn powerline clearing is in play.

SkiATL, SEMaggot, and I were able to partake the last good snow year we had, about 10 years ago

Name:	Powerline.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	252.8 KB 
ID:	353195

Name:	Powerline Bottom.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	230.4 KB 
ID:	353196

Name:	Beech Mtn Powerline.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	156.7 KB 
ID:	353197

This was a great day. Best I ever had in the SE. Made my gf at the time really upset when I ditched her for the entire morning, haha. I think we made 5 or so runs and tracked it out. All lift served too.

Quote Originally Posted by teledave View Post
    I lost all respect for Snowshoe when I went up with a couple buddies in 2013 ('ish) and there was a monster storm forecast. Sure enough the weather came through and it snowed about 18" in 24 hours. Stoked to hit some legit pow, we got up early in the morning and found.........

the entire fucking mountain had been groomed that morning; every single run. There was about 1-2" of fresh on to[ of the groomers. Everyone was just raving about how great the powder skiing was, dumbasses wouldn't know powder if I shoved up their noses. To add insult to injury, got my ticket pulled for skiing the trees between the runs and actually finding some snow.

So yeah, fuck Snowshoe.

Did manage to find this little spot on the edge of one of the runs though.

Name:  SS Tele.jpg
Views: 2636
Size:  55.5 KB
    Hah, their patrollers are pretty hard up. Only time I have ever had my ticket threatened to be pulled, was after we ducked a rope at the end of the day trying to catch the last lift to save a walk from Western Territory over to Widowmaker. Guy threatened to clip it, so what? It's the end of the day, not like we're using it tomorrow.

Also got yelled at on other days for skiing the lift lines under both Ballhooter and Grabhammer. Buncha damn rope-nazis. I went ahead and dropped that Old Man Rock under Ballhooter after getting yelled at by a patroller riding the lift and just evaded the patrol the rest of the day.

WTF on grooming the powder, though. That's fucked.

Quote Originally Posted by skiATL View Post
    This was a great day. Best I ever had in the SE. Made my gf at the time really upset when I ditched her for the entire morning, haha. I think we made 5 or so runs and tracked it out. All lift served too

SkiATL and I hit the Powerline New Years 2009/2010 when it dumped like 20 inches in 2 days. It was the coldest I recall the high country ever being so as close to blower as you can get in dixie.

Name:  17344_1181904343816_796621_n.jpg
Views: 1354
Size:  62.4 KB
    Last edited by SirHeady; 12-16-2020 at 03:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tetzen View Post
    Hah, their patrollers are pretty hard up. Only time I have ever had my ticket threatened to be pulled, was after we ducked a rope at the end of the day trying to catch the last lift to save a walk from Western Territory over to Widowmaker. Guy threatened to clip it, so what? It's the end of the day, not like we're using it tomorrow.

Also got yelled at on other days for skiing the lift lines under both Ballhooter and Grabhammer. Buncha damn rope-nazis. I went ahead and dropped that Old Man Rock under Ballhooter after getting yelled at by a patroller riding the lift and just evaded the patrol the rest of the day.

WTF on grooming the powder, though. That's fucked.
    Not as bad as Winterplace

Quote Originally Posted by SirHeady View Post
    Not as bad as Winterplace
    Pray tell...

I had one of the best (by WV standards) sleeper pow days at Winterplace in 09/10. Snuck out of work early after seeing it snow most of the day and drove the turnpike over to Winterplace. I really wanted to ski this new pair of BD Zealots I had just mounted at the time. Got up and skied probably 6-8" of fresh power from 4PM to when they turned the lights off. It was practically empty. There was one other guy and myself on that top chair and we kept lapping this fresh pow line under that top lift that lets you off at the radio towers. There was just enough ambient light from their night lights to ski the line and the adjacent trees. Fun as shit, and never once got yelled at once by patrol. I was under the impression they were running a barebones crew at night.

Whiteknuckled the frozen twisty-ass turnpike back to Charleston at midnight to get to work again the next day.

Late January 2016 was an insane day at Wintergreen, crazy dump one day with refills all day and then decent bluebird next day, little traffic because roads were shit. Never seen it again. Took out some 114s for the day.

Name:	Image1608159046.102417.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	1.39 MB 
ID:	353231

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

That Grocery/General Store in Wintergreen has great Chicken Salad Sandwiches

Went to college in VA... Winter of 2010 was sick if I recall...got snowed in and couldn't leave to head back to Central VA- ended up staying the week up there skipping class and drinking my friend's parents liquor cabinet dry with a few fraternity bros....good times. Weird mountain layout though

Quote Originally Posted by skysos View Post
    OMG, you guys ski on that? Props...
    It can be rough, but you know what they say - any port in a storm.
    Lurking in the Dirty South!

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeRidges View Post
    Late January 2016 was an insane day at Wintergreen, crazy dump one day with refills all day and then decent bluebird next day, little traffic because roads were shit. Never seen it again. Took out some 114s for the day.

Name:	Image1608159046.102417.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	1.39 MB 
ID:	353231
    Catching a good storm like that makes it all the sweeter around here. Bonus, too if you can drive in ahead of the storm. Shitty roads will keep the gapers away around these parts. Barely anyone knows how to drive snow covered roads with a sheet of ice underneath them here.

The Southeast Thread.

Pretty sure 2010 was the year that Snowshoe got more snow than CB when I was living there. I planned a trip home over spring break with my cousin to go stay at our parents' place and ski all the lines that would get our passes pulled, since we would have day tickets.

A few days before I flew home, it warmed up and started raining at the 'shoe. By the time we got there, everything in the trees was mud.

Quote Originally Posted by SirHeady View Post
    SkiATL and I hit the Powerline New Years 2009/2010 when it dumped like 20 inches in 2 days. It was the coldest I recall the high country ever being so as close to blower as you can get in dixie.

Name:  17344_1181904343816_796621_n.jpg
Views: 1354
Size:  62.4 KB
    That's not the power line. That's the lift #6 lift line. That day was sick and we def got in trouble with patrol.

is skinning up beech during the night ride a dick move?
    swing your fucking sword.

North of South, South of North, West of East
    Quote Originally Posted by skiATL View Post
    That's not the power line. That's the lift #6 lift line. That day was sick and we def got in trouble with patrol.

Lol,the SE crew; always in trouble with the patrol.
    For no good reason on the patrols part, I might add.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    I should probably change my username to IReallyDon'tTeleMuchAnymoreDave.

This thread should really just be a photo montage of Beaters on Church Group and boyscout ski trips

I’ll be at beech Sunday morning half day and probably sugar tomorrow night. Black pants, puke yellow puffy jacket, will be found bent over adjusting my boots at the bottom and top of every lift ride.

Give a shout if you’re around

Cataloochee wasn’t terrible today, hopefully this system coming thru will produce

Name:	IMG_2917.JPG 
Views:	96 
Size:	201.0 KB 
ID:	354410

Name:	IMG_2918.JPG 
Views:	94 
Size:	230.2 KB 
ID:	354411

When it snows in Knoxville and you have skis

Name:	Image1608854746.326399.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	116.3 KB 
ID:	354658

Found some soft turns on 12/22 in WV at the ski area with the gaudy villageName:  FB_IMG_1608901937210.jpg
Views: 978
Size:  33.9 KB

The Southeast Thread.

Beech was decent today until the crowds showed up. Stealurface was working the quad, can confirm he was with redhead today

Name:	Image1609012727.755698.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	186.3 KB 
ID:	354918

Covid and current circumstances have limited traveling abilities for the season. In the spirit of still getting out on skis I decided to revisit some local haunts and a few places I haven't been before this season.

Took a trip to the Homestead Resort earlier this week. I'd never been before. It's basically WROD. As expected, it is fun for a few turns to stretch the legs and get out of the house along with zero crowd at all. If the lift went all the way to the top of the mountain it would have a very steep first pitch by east coast standards. Unfortunately, it stops just shy of it, but the slope probably fits the most prevalent skill levels for the region.

I'm considering driving up to Winterplace on MLK Monday, but I expect it will be super crowded still. If the snow keeps coming over the next two days, it may be too much to pass up though in this low tide year.

The Southeast Thread.

Good day at Sugar yesterday with Teledave and Paj

Name:	Image1611430712.518807.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	1.10 MB 
ID:	359322
    Teledave

Name:  Image1611430819.550395.jpg
Views: 774
Size:  137.8 KB
    Paj