Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Holy shit this is awful. Plenty of injuries and apparently one person was frozen to the lift.

https://youtube.com/shorts/39AxzhhohAQ

Talk about a bad break! Imagine of the chair stopped right there :-O
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Longer video from ECRC thread shows it did stop on guy for quite a few minutes. Beech better give that guy a lifetime sauna for that torture.

Apparently two people were blown off the lift before it stopped. Bar up or bar down question answered yet again..

No sir, you’re in chair 32. You’ve always been in chair 32. I should know. I’ve always been here.

JHFC what a fucking incident, holy shit! Vibes.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    If we're gonna wear uniforms, we should all wear somethin' different!

hawksnest had some of the better terrain in the state… only time i skied it was in 2010 after it closed during that epic new years eve storm cycle

Quote Originally Posted by SirHeady View Post
    hawksnest had some of the better terrain in the state… only time i skied it was in 2010 after it closed during that epic new years eve storm cycle

How overgrown were the trails? I'd think everything that's not a tubing run would be covered with saplings and small trees by then.

As for still functioning NC resorts. Sunday evening should be pretty good. No doubt they'll have it all rolled down by Monday morning. Meadows at Cat might be fun though..

It was only a few years since shuttering when I skied it so I remember it being pretty open ...haven't been back in over a decade

Last time I skied NC on a pow day was before I moved to Utah and it was the feb Storm in early 2016. Lapped the Wolf Ridge main lift line which no one was skiing and it was deep for NC standards...it was a cold storm as well. If I recall when I skied Cat the next day they had the Meadows open which is the only time I've hit it.

Wish Cat would just expand snowmaking to make it full inbounds

Sunday's looking to be a fantastic fucking evening. They're talking up to two FEET now. ALAS, not in the cards for me ATM.. But please someone get up there and share the stoke!

Hope it's nukin' up in the mountains. Go get it! Meanwhile back at home, conditions report. Snow folowed by sneet right now. Here's the thing. It almost never snows around here but I do see plastic sleds and saucers in the thrift stores from time to time.. usually for a DOLLAR so I buy them. My kids are grown, one still finishing high school so don't need a shed foll of plastic sleds.

I live in a neighborhood packed with people fairly new to America. Most of these kids have NEVER experienced a snow day. So, when that rare event happens, I put out a couple of the plastic saucer sleds for them to play with.. I also had some gloves my kids have outgrown.. Hope they have fun!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Snow Day 1.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	161.8 KB 
ID:	401352

Name:	Snow Day 2.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	270.0 KB 
ID:	401353

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    Apparently two people were blown off the lift before it stopped. Bar up or bar down question answered yet again..
    it was blowing all the bars up. at 1:50 in the video tetzen posted you can see the guy that they mercilessly stop in the flow lose the battle to hold his bar down. Having their skis/board on the footrest could just as easily been the reason those two got blown off.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

didn't really make a difference in this case. folks with the bar down had it blown upwards. you can see folks fighting mightily to keep that bar in place.

Hope it's nukin' up in the mountains. Go get it! Meanwhile back at home, conditions report. Snow folowed by sneet right now. Here's the thing. It almost never snows around here but I do see plastic sleds and saucers in the thrift stores from time to time.. usually for a DOLLAR so I buy them. My kids are grown, one still finishing high school so don't need a shed foll of plastic sleds.

I live in a neighborhood packed with people fairly new to America. Most of these kids have NEVER experienced a snow day. So, when that rare event happens, I put out a couple of the plastic saucer sleds for them to play with.. I also had some gloves my kids have outgrown.. Hope they have fun!

Name:	Snow Day 1.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	161.8 KB 
ID:	401352

Name:	Snow Day 2.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	270.0 KB 
ID:	401353

Solid work right there!

PSA for Central NC Maggots. This Rocket Box was at the Durham NC Habitat for Humanity ReStore on 15501 this morning. They want $125 for it, unlocked but no key. If I needed another I'd get it and just order new lock cores.

Appalachian has announced that Sunday will be their last day, closing at 5pm for the season. I'll be there from about 11am til 2ish
    Lame, I know but beats NOT skiing at all..

Appalachian has announced that Sunday will be their last day, closing at 5pm for the season. I'll be there from about 11am til 2ish
    Lame, I know but beats NOT skiing at all..
    Now it looks like Saturday afternoon is the bright spot there between the rain events. Might head up for a few laps but might decide that I'm done for this season. Might not be that crowded but might be a total zoo at that time.

Forecast temps in the 60s Saturday and 40s Sunday.. Back to Sunday if I decide to sneak in a few more runs before they shut it all down for the season. Not getting up early to do it.. Probably won't be crowded at all, rain morning, clears at noon.

Happy Appy was fun today. Never seen them shut it down with more snow than this.. Everything but the little terrain park jump at the top was open. Hard Core did have some thin spots starting to show but the rest of it would be good for another 2 weeks.

Checked out the pond skim for a little while. Didn't see anyone hit it switch but a couple did some test runs at it switch only to abort..

Quote Originally Posted by m2711c View Post
    Solid work right there!
    Agreed, Brings back memories of a kid. Those kids are having as much fun as us on a non-powder day.

Pretty solid early spring storm came through WV last weekend. Only 1 or 2 scratchy turns . The rest were good to go.

VC is offline Calmer then you are Dude
    Where was that? Just moved to VA and looking for some hope that I might actually ski again without getting on a plane.

Quote Originally Posted by VC View Post
    Where was that? Just moved to VA and looking for some hope that I might actually ski again without getting on a plane.
    Pretty sure that’s Snowshoe. Highway12 brings the stoke when it comes to SE skiing/riding.

Just have to time storms that hit WV, lots of good terrain in the Canaan Valley that’s skiable with a good 6-7” storm.

Happy Appy has their Anniversary Weekend special next weekend Dec 3rd and 4th. It's doubled in price though.. It's now $10 for a 9-5 lift ticket... online in advance only.

I'll be there for a little while Sunday skiing all the glorious 350 feet of vert... baring any unforeseen catastrophes or horrible weather..

https://appskimtn.com/event/anniversary-weekend-3

Hooked up and skied a coupe hours with my Cakalaki Canada Crew today. Refrozen NOISY firm conditions. Definitely a day for carvers. God times!

^^^^^^^^^^^I'll be there again tomorrow. ^^^^^^^^^
    Son's back from college so we're going to drive 3 hours, take a few turns.. and drive another three hours. I'm no longer motivated to do that more than a couple times a season. But when I've got a co pilot still all in. I hope after college he gets a job somewhere closer to skiing where I can impose a couple times a season hahahah..