Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackbeard View Post
    Winterplace - 50/50 on masks, shit load of busses in the parking lot, vertically challenged

Attachment 366143

Attachment 366144

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Forgot the trail names, but definitely remember plenty of laps there. Including some night storm skiing as a VT student. We used to hit a strip club now and then on the way home, Southern Exposure, which must have burned down in 2000 I think.

Lots of fun trips and good pow days at snowshoe as well. Skipped a final for an 18” storm there, which I fortunately was able to make up later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://www.redbull.com/us-en/videos...b-snowboarding

Pretty wild edit from Snowshoe. I'm surprised they were able to put this together up on the mountain.

Looks like some places have made enough snow to open. It feels like a warmer than usual start of a winter.

Planning to take the groms out on a NC overnight or two when it snows. Then we're looking at spending 4-5 midweek days at Snowshoe first week in February. There is a BMX National in VA the weekend before so we're eyeing a race and ski week. Should be fun.

Despite growing up in the Atlanta area, I've never skied anywhere east of the Rockies except Catalahoochie (and not until after having kids). I've heard Snowshoe is fun. Any beta or recommendations?

On a side note: Are there boot fitters (that anyone can recommend) anywhere better Atlanta and Snowshoe?

Glad that this thread got started last year (even though I think the OP went west as you should). We had a baby last Sept so our plans to spend a few months out west are on hold.

Are you in Atlanta? The drive to Snowshoe is a haul, 9 hours, but it’s the closest thing you’ll get to a “ski vacation” in the Southeast. Majority of the lodging is booked thru the resort with lift ticket deals tied to them. Just avoid going over MLK or Pres weekends. Western Territory has the best skiing, with some newer glades at the top of the resort (Widowmaker area).

Beech Mtn in North Carolina is a closer option, but with less skiing. Somewhat of a resort feel there compared to the other NC ski areas.

Boot fitters in ATL - you’re limited to Peter Glenn or Rocky Mtn Ski & Board, the guys at Peter Glenn are pretty knowledgeable - might be worth stopping by to see them.

Thanks Blackbeard!

Haven't skied Beech yet but was considering making a trip there as it's not a lot further than Catalahoochie. Snowshoe is only 2 hours from the BMX race in VA and most importantly, we're going to take my parents to watch the 14 month old and hopefully the groms some. The resort feel and village should provide them with more things to do and feel more like vacation for them.

I've never even stepped foot in either of those places in ATL so I haven't a clue if they're reputable. I've spent 5.5 winters between Tahoe and Summit county and just always had connections/friends in shops there. Ill stop in Peter Glenn and see what they have to say. I'm open to waiting to be at Beech/Maggie Valley/Snowshoe too if there is a solid recommendation at any of those places.

Somehow allowed myself to get roped into a night session at beech tonight. Easily the worst conditions I have ever skied. Boilerplate ice with patches of 1-2 inches of WETTT man made mixed in. 60 to 0 in half a second, even with freshly hot-boxed bases. Snowmaking in full effect with gusty wind to boot. Same old sketchy lighting situation.

White Lightning is completely bare and there is no blowing going on over there. Understandable though with the warm temps returning soon.

swing your fucking sword.

Quote Originally Posted by stealurface831 View Post
    Somehow allowed myself to get roped into a night session at beech tonight. Easily the worst conditions I have ever skied. Boilerplate ice with patches of 1-2 inches of WETTT man made mixed in. 60 to 0 in half a second, even with freshly hot-boxed bases. Snowmaking in full effect with gusty wind to boot. Same old sketchy lighting situation.

White Lightning is completely bare and there is no blowing going on over there. Understandable though with the warm temps returning soon.

Nice :-) love the wet marshmallow grabby goo when it's too warm or they don't have the guns dialed up just right. I prefer the squealy Styrofoam stuff. If coverage looks sketchy I just ski Little Apple instead. Less to worry about covering there. How long are you out of school for? My kid's back from college in Oklahoma said he'd like to get some turns in over the break. Thinking the days just after NYD. I'm off til the 6th.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    Nice :-) love the wet marshmallow grabby goo when it's too warm or they don't have the guns dialed up just right. I prefer the squealy Styrofoam stuff. If coverage looks sketchy I just ski Little Apple instead. Less to worry about covering there. How long are you out of school for? My kid's back from college in Oklahoma said he'd like to get some turns in over the break. Thinking the days just after NYD. I'm off til the 6th.
    School is back in session the 16th but unfortunately I’m headed westward next week. Hopefully weather will cooperate and you guys can get some quality turns in. If slush turns are able to be had when I am back home in March, I’d love to ski ya then.

Haven’t even bothered heading out yet, pretty depressing start after such a good start last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackbeard View Post
    Haven’t even bothered heading out yet, pretty depressing start after such a good start last year.

Seriously depressing. Everything on the frontside was fully opened and skiing well this time last year. Oz wasn't far behind.

Seriously depressing. Everything on the frontside was fully opened and skiing well this time last year. Oz wasn't far behind.
    I've only been there once when Oz was open....... I only get there a couple times a season though..

Yikes, once in the past 20 years I saw conditions this bad just BEFORE Christmas but NEVER during or anytime in January.

Sugar webcam 1/1/22. Beech is ever so slightly better.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SkiSugar Worst Ever.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	83.9 KB 
ID:	399196

Atlanta feels like April/ May rn

Now that im back living in my homeland , not sure I see the utility in skiing Cat when in roughly the same time to get to MV I can be using my Altabird pass

Quote Originally Posted by SirHeady View Post
    Atlanta feels like April/ May rn

Now that im back living in my homeland , not sure I see the utility in skiing Cat when in roughly the same time to get to MV I can be using my Altabird pass

I'm with you for multi day trips. As long as you have about 12-18 hours to devote to the airport, rental car, parking/UBER etc flying makes sense. The rental car and flight cancellations shitshow right now just has me opting for a day trip here and there.. So it's local options only..

Definitely felt like Spring in ATL warm enough to not even need long sleeves before sunrise. Wild pop up tornado yesterday that looked to be headed our way but fizzled out, thankfully. Only thing worse about the warm temps is the rain which is keeping mtb trails closed.

We just booked midweek trip to Snowshoe for first week in Feb. We were hoping to do an overnight to NC before and are fortunate we can go midweek on short notice but at this rate not sure it'll happen. Fortunately the groms will have fun no matter what.

Sugar reporting 8" from 24 storm total. Let's hope temps are favorable for snow making and retention. Naturally, I'm helping my sister move tomorrow and Wednesday so I can't provide any in person reconnaissance.

Hopefully some of y'all get out and it's good.

We skied Sugar today. Nice laps until about 1pm then slammed as usual. Guns were on a little too long blowing sticky goo on the lower side. Fun day though. Beats working.

Name:	Sugar Summit.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	222.5 KB 
ID:	399751

We skied Sugar today. Nice laps until about 1pm then slammed as usual. Guns were on a little too long blowing sticky goo on the lower side. Fun day though. Beats working.

Name:	Sugar Summit.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	222.5 KB 
ID:	399751
    Glad ya'll were able to make it up.

Any Gunther sightings/interactions?

Glad ya'll were able to make it up.

Any Gunther sightings/interactions?
    Closed and not even close to poachable. Looked like 8"-12" maybe a little more up top but that's rental ski coverage there LOL.. Birch and Northridge to FM all day.. Mostly just standing in brutal lines after 1pm..

Closed and not even close to poachable. Looked like 8"-12" maybe a little more up top but that's rental ski coverage there LOL.. Birch and Northridge to FM all day.. Mostly just standing in brutal lines after 1pm..
    I was referring to the run's namesake, the old Austrian guy who runs the place. He is a notorious asshole and has beef with my old man. He alleged to have seen my father slipping and/or shadowing a course on a few different occasions in high school, getting him DQ'd. Pulled his passes multiple times throughout the 80s-90s.

I was referring to the run's namesake, the old Austrian guy who runs the place. He is a notorious asshole and has beef with my old man. He alleged to have seen my father slipping and/or shadowing a course on a few different occasions in high school, getting him DQ'd. Pulled his passes multiple times throughout the 80s-90s.
    i don't need another reason to prefer Beech but thanks. I actually felt kinda sad passing the resort that used to be Hawksnest on the way. I totally would have skied there today if it hadn't died a horrible tubing park death..

i don't need another reason to prefer Beech but thanks. I actually felt kinda sad passing the resort that used to be Hawksnest on the way. I totally would have skied there today if it hadn't died a horrible tubing park death..
    I was just talking about Hawksnest with my uncle and old man the other day. I skied there once but was too young to remember. I rue the fact that I never got to participate in a night session. Fuck Seven Devils for what they did to that place. I'd love to see it get back up and running with the expansion plans eventually realized.

Quote Originally Posted by jables View Post
    except Catalahoochie (and not until after having kids).
    yeah funneh how that happens. We generally made Snowshoe in 7.5-8 hrs (dwoody) (92 sssoooo much better than 219). But. So worth it to go one hour further to Canaan/Timberline. Terrain is at least the equal of Snowshoe, snow generally better, housing cheaper, and some interesting, if mild, OB to add. And that was when Tline totally sucked, I mean you were taking your life into yer hands on their lifts. Now that it has good ownership...Also as you probably know Cat is really fun if/when you can catch a meadows day. They are few and far between, but if you see a storm coming. You'll need chains or 4wd.
    "Can't you see..."

Timberline and Blue Knob are the places I took the kids for ski house weekends. Super affordable for 3-4 families to chip in together on one of those slopeside or walk to slopes ski houses for a 4 day weekend. Excellent terrain, as good as it gets south of Vermont.

First time we ever skied Catalahoochie was a meadows day, but it was also first time ever taking kids on skis and they were freshly 2 & almost 3, so needless to say we didn't get to enjoy meadow's much. In fact my wife was only one to get over there solo while I was giving the kids their first taste of Cherry Coke in the lodge to rally for a few more magic carpet rides.