Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Looks great! Was going to try and get to Catalahochee with my groms Wed/Thur but unsure if weather will cooperate. looks wet but not snowy.

no pics but another beautiful day at the beech today. people are lapping the mtb trails in troves. patrol can't seem to stop them at this point. look to be some quality tree runs if you like coreshots. hopefully the next storm will provide some more rock cover.

on a sadder note, we airlifted a second skier for the season today. another helmet-less gaper on the bunny slope, another traumatic brain injury at the least. fkna.
    swing your fucking sword.

Quote Originally Posted by stealurface831 View Post
    no pics but another beautiful day at the beech today. people are lapping the mtb trails in troves. patrol can't seem to stop them at this point. look to be some quality tree runs if you like coreshots. hopefully the next storm will provide some more rock cover.

on a sadder note, we airlifted a second skier for the season today. another helmet-less gaper on the bunny slope, another traumatic brain injury at the least. fkna.
    I gotta say Beech > Sugar

Best season we’ve had in 10 years

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Blackbeard View Post

i'm glad to hear it. it ain't a bad little hill.

i don't have any perspective on historical comparisons since i haven't skied NC regularly since i was a little kid but i have been thoroughly surprised by the quality of turns. it hasn't been crazy ice. we have had some freshies. there is some decent chop in the afternoons. the vibe of the mountain is...interesting to say the least. in a good way, of course.

The Southeast Thread.

Great nostalgia in these pics! Learned at Cataloochie. Raced the ribbon of death for Asheville High in ‘88. Some good road trips to Sugar and Beech partying at ASU dorms after skiing. Good good years for sure!

Oh and night skiing at Wolf Laurel.

Sx81 rear entries, jeans and gaitors. Prob a turtleneck too. Those were the days.......

North of South, South of North, West of East
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackbeard View Post

The black terrain at the top of Sugar is so much better than anything at Beech, but that flat ass run out that goes forever....fuuuuuuck me. And customer service is not their strong suit, it's no wonder they have a run called Gunther's Way because that's the way the whole place is run.
    I should probably change my username to IReallyDon'tTeleMuchAnymoreDave.

Cataloochee today, skied about a dozen runs before the crowds showed up.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1611525748.698623.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	177.0 KB 
ID:	359518

Quote Originally Posted by teledave View Post
    And customer service is not their strong suit, it's no wonder they have a run called Gunther's Way because that's the way the whole place is run.
    all my superiors and a lot of my coworkers were at sugar before coming to beech and all say the same thing: it was miserable and gunther was the reason. real authoritarian, i hear. no way to go through life.

I typically ski Cataloochee and hadn’t been to Beech/Sugar in a few years. Was impressed at the investments Beech has made over the past couple of years.

Yes Sugar is steeper for 2-3 turns at the top, but Beech skis better overall - especially when fully open.

Took the groms (4 and 5) to Cataloochee Wed and Thur this past week. Drove up Wednesday morning for post lunch turns, it was hot (50*+) and made for slushy and difficult chair loading for the groms. Thursday morning we awoke to a dusting of snow and temps in the teens. They had been blowing snow and combined with the dusting made for some decent turns. The kids had a blast and I got a chance to skied in my Hoji Frees for the first time. They need some fine tuning (will take to Tech Talk), but very happy with them so far.

Had a few frustrating experiences with employees not doing their jobs and/or being dicks. I've had more "seriously?! WTF!" moments at Catalahochee in 3 trips I've made there, than all my winters spent in Tahoe/Summit Co combined.

Going to try and get a Sugar/Beech trip in this winter and maybe another short midweek trip back to the 'oochee.

NC chairlift:

Name:	KIMG2993.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	1.61 MB 
ID:	360439

Same chair, Thursday:

Name:	signal-2021-01-28-103450.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	680.9 KB 
ID:	360438

Thursday Morning dusting:

Name:	KIMG3005.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	1.30 MB 
ID:	360440

Big brother helping drag his little sister through a flat spot, random snowboarder in the way. (On of the most stressful parts of skiing easy trails with kids is everyone else who is out of control and in their way).

Name:	KIMG3007.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	881.2 KB 
ID:	360441

Name:	IMG-0468.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	1.65 MB 
ID:	360809

the picture is of course sideways but a lil Oz stoke from last Thursday at the Beech. i got there later in the afternoon but there was a good 6" of freshies that morning.

awoke to a fresh 5" yesterday at Elk River. probably a few more on the mountain. didn't get any turns in but probably will on wednesday with the forecast calling for 8"+ today and tomorrow.

Whatever happened to the base webcam? Someone years ago posted it so we could watch people crash at the bottom into the mud one spring.

Now all we got is a rimed-out wobbly phallic thingamabob to look at on the summit cam.

https://www.resortcams.com/webcams/b...untain-summit/

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    Whatever happened to the base webcam?
    https://cataloochee.com/the-mountain/webcams/

-thier all interchangeable.
    "Can't you see..."

Quote Originally Posted by jables View Post
    The kids had a blast
    well, careful. The NC 6 yr old model (french fry until i hit the orange net then ask the guy in the red jacket wheres mah dad) doesn't translate well to say snowbird (dad frantically chosing a base area to head to/search; only to find said grom having a coke with an old c0llege bud -

I heard him say to the patrol 'my dad is marshall tucker you probably know him the red coats always stop him to talk to him where we live"
    'do you live in atlanta / is your dad from "x" ?
    'howd you know?'
    "Can't you see..."

Learned to ski at Cataloochee, this thread was a real trip down memory lane. Moved to the Rockies in 2014 and haven't been back since. Need to change that soon.

North of South, South of North, West of East
    Quote Originally Posted by stealurface831 View Post
    a lil Oz stoke from last Thursday at the Beech. i got there later in the afternoon but there was a good 6" of freshies that morning.
    Is Oz even steep enough to actually maintain downhill momentum with 6"? I've been stopped by an uphill breeze there before.
    I should probably change my username to IReallyDon'tTeleMuchAnymoreDave.

anybody getting some this weekend?

i was hoping all these winter weather events would translate to at least a storm day or two in the high country but it seems all we've gotten is rain and ice. looks like we are at the turning point of the season where everything starts to melt but i don't know.

Creamy + dreamy splitboard adventures in Canaan before it froze up Thurday night. Hopefully last nights couple inches will rebond to the bomber base and the crust monster will go away

Name:	GH014725_1613691226588.JPG 
Views:	90 
Size:	473.7 KB 
ID:	363871

Taking a Southeast Ski Safari on the Indy Ski Pass, stop 1 Massanutten

Name:	Image1614909798.191613.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	188.2 KB 
ID:	365895

^^^^^^^^
    That pic of Massa nuttin brings back many fond memories roadtripping in from NoVa and RVa back in the 80's.
    keep 'em coming.

West By God - Canaan Valley

Name:	Image1614959170.709633.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	184.4 KB 
ID:	365950

Winterplace - 50/50 on masks, shit load of busses in the parking lot, vertically challenged

Name:	Image1615067805.604216.jpg 
Views:	239 
Size:	193.9 KB 
ID:	366143

Name:	Image1615067817.002704.jpg 
Views:	238 
Size:	204.5 KB 
ID:	366144

Nice, looks like you're getting 2nd or third trax. Way to get after it early.

Canaan Valley as a kid was maybe the first place that I skied in an absolute blizzard at night. Hardly anyone there, filling in my tracks for the first time. Trying to see, but hell, viz was less important all of a sudden, skiing by braille in the hazy yellow light.
    Traveling with my parents to WV to ski was another level for me then.

Oh, also, that Winterplace appears to have a lot of No-Fall zones. Off the snow into the trees, I remember that now. That was at that other place in WV.

had the meltdown games at app today for the last runs of the season. 120 foot pond skim along with a super impossible rail and chinese downhill. storm rolled in during the middle of the pond skim so that got cut short but everything else picked back up after a lightning break. caught the w in the chinese downhill and netted a new pair of anon googles which made up for the absolute yardsale i took after crossing the finish line. facesplant, tomahawk, ragdoll, the whole deal. it was a good one.

This thread has been fascinating and I will ski a southeast hill one day.