Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Christmas Presents

Every Christmas i get asked what i want as a gift from friends/family. Problem is, I rarely actually want material things that are within a gift-giving price range (eg. new house, catski trip, boat, etc), and anything that is small enough to be within a gift-giving price range i usually already have bought (at significant discount) and feel like i can get a few more years of use out of and it would be wasteful to get a new one. Its the reason why im still driving a 17yr old 4runner and very happy with it. I'd much rather have everyone just save their money and spend it coming to visit, but... 2020.

What are people's answers this year to the "what do you want for xmas" question?

I defer to KQ on all Christmas present matters.

Donations. That's been the trend around here for the last several years. My parents may be the worst ever gift givers.

bacon.

That Pfizer or Moderna shot be great.

Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    Every Christmas i get asked what i want as a gift from friends/family. Problem is, I rarely actually want material things that are within a gift-giving price range (eg. new house, catski trip, boat, etc), and anything that is small enough to be within a gift-giving price range i usually already have bought (at significant discount) and feel like i can get a few more years of use out of and it would be wasteful to get a new one. Its the reason why im still driving a 17yr old 4runner and very happy with it. I'd much rather have everyone just save their money and spend it coming to visit, but... 2020.

What are people's answers this year to the "what do you want for xmas" question?
    I could have written the same exact thing.

No insight from me unfortunately, it's actually a point of contention with Ms Boissal at Xmas and birthdays. When I want or need something I research it extensively then wait until it goes on mega sale and pounce on it. I'm cheap and have a high treshold to pull the trigger on anything so I tend to run things into the ground before replacing them (I'm completely fine wearing stuff from 5+ years ago if it works well). I also am allergic to clutter and having piles of stuff I don't use.
    As a result I don't really like most of the gifts I get, either because I have no need for them and they'll gather dust forever or because I was planning on buying the thing myself but was given a slightly different item that doesn't tick all the boxes and was bought for more than I'd want to spend on it. I know, extreme 1st world problems.

So, this year I asked Ms Boissal and the in-laws for nothing. I made an exception for books cause it's nearly impossible to go wrong on that front. And I told them that if they really need to give me a gift I have a few things I bought this year that are still unopened and can be wrapped and given to me if they're so inclined. I guarantee I will like those.
    If pushed I'll say that "the greatest gift I've already received this year is that all of you managed to avoid dying of COVID despite haf of you behaving like absolute morons about the whole thing" and that should ensure I'll never get gifts again.
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    I could have written the same exact thing.

No insight from me unfortunately, it's actually a point of contention with Ms Boissal at Xmas and birthdays. When I want or need something I research it extensively then wait until it goes on mega sale and pounce on it. I'm cheap and have a high treshold to pull the trigger on anything so I tend to run things into the ground before replacing them (I'm completely fine wearing stuff from 5+ years ago if it works well). I also am allergic to clutter and having piles of stuff I don't use.
    As a result I don't really like most of the gifts I get, either because I have no need for them and they'll gather dust forever or because I was planning on buying the thing myself but was given a slightly different item that doesn't tick all the boxes and was bought for more than I'd want to spend on it. I know, extreme 1st world problems.
    GET OUT OF MY HEAD!!!
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post

In later years my Grandmother's response was: If I can't eat it, drink it or wear it I don't want it. I've just about reached that point. That said check this out. I just posted it in "Ask KQ Claus." A wonderful gift to give and receive:

DEAR ABBY: As a grandparent, I feel the Christmas gift my husband and I received last year from our granddaughter was a gift of a lifetime. We have enjoyed it all year. It was a gift of memories, written on 12 cards to be opened on the first day of each month. She had inserted each card into an individual envelope, designated with which month it was to be opened. She put them in a box wrapped with a bow and placed it under the tree.

The excitement generated while anxiously awaiting a new month's arrival so the new memory could be read created enthusiasm among the entire family. In each envelope were experiences we had forgotten or never realized had made an impact on her life.

A gift like this requires only time and 12 pieces of paper. The concept could even be reversed so it would be from grandparent to grandchild. Few of us grandparents need material gifts, but the caring, thought and love shown by this gift will remain with us all our lives. -- WANTED TO SHARE, FRESNO, CALIF.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    ^^^ the only acceptable answer on the TRG ^^^

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

It's people like you guys is why people gift socks. If you don't wear them, no one will know or care.

Ask for consumables or experiences. Like a monthly cheese or wine or beer or steak subscription, or tickets to a baseball game, ski passes, dinner out or delivered, etc.

My folks are cheap as well (they don't have to be, but by this point it's a way of life). I've stuck to a mantra of 'Buy them a really nice version of something they use every day' and it has worked well.

Case in point: Yeti cups. My dad drinks a ton of water, always out of a plastic tumbler or whatever big cheap cup is around. Bought him a 32 oz yeti because he'd never, ever, ever, spend $30 on a water cup. He loves it.
    I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.

I have this same thing going on, but have largely given up and now I maintain a Amazon wish list for just this reason. Random books I want to read, that nice pair of Knipex pliers I don't really need but would be cool to have, etc. I just add to it periodically.

And yes, I have socks on the list.

I'm not sure why "I've researched and decided I want it, but don't want you to spend 20% more than I would" is a good reason to not to share.

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    It's people like you guys is why people gift socks. If you don't wear them, no one will know or care.

Ask for consumables or experiences. Like a monthly cheese or wine or beer or steak subscription, or tickets to a baseball game, ski passes, dinner out or delivered, etc.
    The only person who gets me gifts regularly is my wife. So she would know and care. And because she's my wife, those consumables/experiences also come out of my pocket. Which makes them less worthy as gifts.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

I’m really picky about my socks, and other stuff as well. I’m like Bossai that way. Since I sold my lucrative dental practice I don’t need much, so I ask people to make a donation to the local animal shelter, wildlife rescue, or some similar organization.

But that thing KQ posted is pretty cool. Also, if you don’t like the donation idea, ask for a pro massage* or spa/hot tub thing.

* The “tip” for a happy ending is on you tho.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    The only person who gets me gifts regularly is my wife. So she would know and care. And because she's my wife, those consumables/experiences also come out of my pocket. Which makes them less worthy as gifts.
    So you are saying you are a hopeless case then.

Or you could just become an atheist and be off the hook on Christmas gifts.

That said, I even send the atheists that work for me Christmas gifts.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

16 responses and no hookers and blow???? Slippin.......
    What we have here is an intelligence failure. You may be familiar with staring directly at that when shaving. .
    -Ottime
    One man can only push so many boulders up hills at one time.
    -BMillsSkier

Quote Originally Posted by Mazderati View Post
    Donations.
    This. Win all the way around

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    Since I sold my lucrative dental practice I don’t need much, so I ask people to make a donation to the local animal shelter, wildlife rescue, or some similar organization.
    Finally got up the nerve to tell a GF that we needed to cut back on the gifts. She would send me TONS of stuff most of it just fluff that I had no use for or desire to own. Last year she donated to a donkey rescue in my name. Yay!

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    Or you could just become an atheist and be off the hook on Christmas gifts.

That said, I even send the atheists that work for me Christmas gifts.
    Christmas is a secular holiday regardless of what spin people put on it NTTAWWT but yanno... we've had this convo so many times. Gifts are fun no matter what reason.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

I send out an actual Christmas list to my wife, who then disseminates it as appropriate (usually to my parents and in-laws). I keep track of the "nice to haves" for a while beforehand.

If you don't need more stuff, ask for consumable stuff. Or experiences - hardly anybody ever says "oh boo hoo I need to get a massage today."

My list so far is,
    New motor and speed control for the rc car I just got for even more power!
    https://www.hobbywingdirect.com/prod...18438418104435

Digital oscilloscope rigol ds1054z
    https://www.tequipment.net/Rigol/DS1...googleshopping

Need a new pair of googles for skiing this winter...

A catch can for the Porsche would be cool

A big dead power amplifier would always be welcome...

A new lawnmower would look sweet under the tree.

sent from Utah.
    sigless.

For the first time in 15 to 20 years I received a Christmas card in my mailbox from “your friendly post man“. It came with a photograph of his entire family. I stuck 20 bucks in the envelope and put it in the outgoing box. Personally, I want a tandem angling kayak, a pair of Felt house shoes with rubber soles and a couple flannel shirts. I bought my wife a Suunto watch.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    ^^^ the only acceptable answer on the TRG ^^^

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Right?

/Thread

I just want to point out she likes donations to cool causes.

And that she rocks on Xmas threads.

Circa 2007 or so I skied one of the Tele Tuesdays at the Beav wearing a poncho and cowboy hat, fully representin' a few tele brands at the time and managing to look like a complete dork. Just happened to ski by one of the photogs on larkspur so I thought, why not, send mom the photo link of you skiing, she'll enjoy that. Then a few years later when visiting, she handed me a tiny cup of coffee and on it was a pic of me skiing that day, she had ordered it for herself after I sent her that link. Cool mom, glad you got yourself something you like! Fast forward 10 years at Christmas and what does she send me, that tiny coffee mug, stained and everything. At least it was gift wrapped.