iphones and cold temperatures

I have an iphone SE (1st gen), that has served me well over the last couple of years. However, at some point I upgraded the software and battery life in the cold turned into a nightmare overnight. This was already predicted and I postponed the upgrade until it became annoying because of incompatible apps. It was still workable though, and I could call, take pictures etc while out in the snow, as long as I stored the phone close to my body. Fast forward to the current winter, and now on IOS 13.7 and my iphone has become practically unusable in the mountains. Taking it out for some emails on the chairlift or a short call and the phone instantly shuts down. Battery health is at 85%.
    A phone is an important device for me in the mountains, I need to rely upon it in case of an emergency. But I also need it to communicate with people throughout the day, relay avy conditions etc.

- Is there something that can be done to mitigate this behavior? I am pretty sure this is largely a software issue, as the upgrade a while back introduced this problem that was non-existent before.
    - Will replacing the battery mitigate this?
    - Will it be the same if I buy a new iphone? I really don't want to as I am perfectly happy with the device otherwise, but this current situation is unacceptable.
    - Any other experience, tips?

planned obsolescence in action....

I’ve had similar experiences. I have twice replace the SE battery myself: easy to do with patience, and I did notice an improvement. Keep the phone close to your body so it stays warmer. Those small USB battery packs are useful for situations like this.

Same problem with the original SE and 6, problem solved with the 8 (or new SE). I think it's a combination of more efficient processor and software, but I doubt Apple engineers think in terms of skiers during the design phase . . .

I have a 1st gen SE as well (actually on number 3). I have the same issue with cold battery but not as extreme. A new battery will help, 85% health is pretty low, mine is at ~95% and i can use it in the cold but not for long. External battery will help a bunch as they are big compared to the tiny one in the phone. Also keep it warm and use a headset if you need to make calls. I will likely move to the new mini but not until prices come down a bit.

Stick a toe warmer to the back of the phone.

https://www.amazon.com/WORLD-BIO-Toe...4-135149aa9081

I bought a phoozy pouch and it seems to really help. There are other insulation pouches as well on the market

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Quote Originally Posted by Utagonian View Post
    Stick a toe warmer to the back of the phone.

https://www.amazon.com/WORLD-BIO-Toe...4-135149aa9081
    I'd be careful not to get the battery too hot but keeping the phone warm should help. Using headphones and keeping the phone in an interior pocket could be the ticket.

I'm not super familiar with the iPhone SE in particular but I do work on batteries for consumer electronics. The way your phone understands your batteries state of charge (SOC) is by measuring the cell voltage (phone batteries are typically single cell). The battery management system (BMS) measures other things as well but we'll skip that for now. A measured cell voltage during charge or discharge is associated with a given SOC. In phones with HVLCO cathodes, like your iPhone, 100% SOC is usually around 4.35 Volts and 0% SOC is around 3.0 V. The ionic conductivity of the electrolyte in Li-ion batteries is a function of temperature. As the temperature does down, ionic conductivity does down (resistance goes up) and you start to see larger voltage responses for the same applied current. Your phone now sees a low voltage sooner and thinks the battery is "empty" when you still have charge left that would be transferred. This is why warming up your phone/camera can give you back a little battery life.

As your battery is cycled and breaks down you do lose capacity but you also frequently see an increase in internal resistance due to a build up of surface electrolyte interface layers (shit growing on the electrodes) and other mechanical degradation So together old battery + cold weather means higher internal resistance, even more voltage drop, and really bad battery life for your device.

TLDR: With current Li-ion batteries you will almost always have much worse battery life in cold conditions but replacing your battery could give you some improvement. Also worth noting, newer batteries use electrolytes with fancy additives to improve low temperature ionic conductivity. I don't think replacement batteries for your iPhone SE will have this but newer phones/consumer electronics will.

Edit: One thing to add. Third party replacement batteries, like the one you linked, are frequently not made the to same standards as the OEM supplied battery.
    Last edited by Crow; 12-02-2020 at 02:39 PM.

I have heard that the cases with a built in external battery trick the phone into thinking it has more battery life left.

Might seem crazy but I tuck my Iphone up my sleeve, under base layer right next to my skin. Works best if you have a tight fitting elastic or velcro cuff. You will not even be able to feel it. Beware, the first few times you might forget its there and panic a bit until you remember where you put it. That might be the pots tho ...
    That Don't Make No Sense

the ski club sticks toe warmers on radio linked timing gear & I phones

the sticky is handy for sticking inside gloves, I buy them by the display pack

forget the hand warmers
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I carry mine in a neoprene beer coozy, sometimes chuck a handwarmer packet in there on bitter days. I'm often 'working' while skiing so keeping it working is important to me too, so is having a coozy onhand

FWIW had the iPhone 6 for the last few years and now the new SE

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    Same problem with the original SE and 6, problem solved with the 8 (or new SE). I think it's a combination of more efficient processor and software, but I doubt Apple engineers think in terms of skiers during the design phase . . .
    they must think of cold temp performance though. Not everyone who buys an iphone lives in a warm climate.

Used to have this problem , then purchased Lander Torrey phone case . The cases are is equipped with a layer of ThermoLine, which regulates and insulates against harsh temperatures.

Thought this was just marketing BS , but have used it in extreme cold and battery did not drain and had it out in the sun this summer and did not get the overheat message .

Quote Originally Posted by whyturn View Post
    I bought a phoozy pouch and it seems to really help. There are other insulation pouches as well on the market

This has been perfect for me. Really easy solution.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by whyturn View Post

I picked up a neoprene pouch, but to solve a different problem. I sweat a lot when touring, and get a lot of condensation. I then get a dirty USB port message on my phone that takes hours to clear. I got tired of carrying it in a Ziploc bag ;-)

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

The bought some soft shell material and sewed a pouch for my iPhone se first gen, but now I upgraded to a 12 and have no battery problems in cold temp.

My beta is still effective though, sewed a soft shell pouch and sewed it to the inside of my snow pants so no matter how many layers I shed it’s still on my skin

Thanks everybody, some good info here.
    I ordered a new battery and a case w. external battery. Will report back once I find the time to install the new battery.