Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ZomblibulaX View Post
    $5 make your cheap kids boots warmer: spray foam insulation. Bear with me. The operation is seemingly a pain in the ass but it works a treat.

IF there is no boot board in there, there’s probably a bunch of vertical fins instead, to create a boot bottom without having a solid lump of plastic. Which means a bunch of air beneath the foot, that is cold as balls because it’s a few mm from the elements with no insulation. So... run blue painter’s tape around the perimeter inside the boot, right above the bottom, then spray silicon spray or wd40 on a rag and wipe it everywhere you don’t want foam to stick (i.e. above the tape). Vvvveeeerrrryyy carefully spray foam into the voids in the boot bottom, keep the nozzle right on the bottom. You don’t even need the foam to fill all of it, just reduce the amount of air your kids’ toes have to heat up. Let it dry, scrape off the excess with a flex blade/putty knife, put foil tape over the top of the foam. Voila. It sounds a lot more involved than it is, but it works awesome.
    genius

Semi custom footbeds, heated insoles have worked for my girls. The 11 year olds is on her fourth pair of boots and 400 days on the same set of heated insoles. I buy batteries in the off season when cheap.

Heated boot bag as well so they start warm.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

Like hotronics? Or do you mean something else?
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by volklpowdermaniac View Post
    Another lower hanger : I have a problem if I wear my ski socks from the house to hill... I always go no socks or athletic socks to the hill then put on my ski socks right before they go on my boots....my issue was my feet would sweat, sometimes a lot but often just little amounts then go into my boots just a little wet and that would f me up. Now I’m sure to make sure my feet are bone dry before going in the booties.
    I actually read this same tip from Ingrid Backstrom a long time ago and I have done it ever since. Never wear your ski socks on the drive. You don't realize how clammy your feet get in that short time but it makes a huge difference. Put ski socks on just before you put on your boots at the hill and the feet stay much warmer for a lot longer.

Yep like hotronics. Thermics iirc

I've hear of people putting cayenne pepper in their socks and it keeping their feet warm. No idea if it works, and probably a bad idea for little girl who will surely find a way to get it on her hands and on her eyes. But I've always wondered if it actually worked.

Quote Originally Posted by Name Redacted View Post
    I've hear of people putting cayenne pepper in their socks and it keeping their feet warm. No idea if it works, and probably a bad idea for little girl who will surely find a way to get it on her hands and on her eyes. But I've always wondered if it actually worked.
    It does work. A 50/50 blend of cayenne and baby powder will keep your feet warm and dry all day.

Luckily, I have no issues w/ cold feet, like ever. I think the booze helps with circulation. I'd rather marinate my brain than batter up my feet like a damn fried chicken.

Alcohol and caffeine are perhaps the worst things for cold feet

Quote Originally Posted by detrusor View Post
    Alcohol and caffeine are perhaps the worst things for cold feet
    Hopefully Danno isn't giving those to his kid and like I said, I have zero issues despite partaking in my vices. However, alcohol is a vasodilator which means it actually does keep hands and feet warm by increasing blood flow to extremities. But like I said, none of that really applies here as little girls should probably stick to drinking hot chocolate which can have a similar effect.
    Last edited by Name Redacted; 12-02-2020 at 08:25 AM.

Many good and valid ideas. ^^^

Dude - Earplugs. For you. /end

Quote Originally Posted by Name Redacted View Post
    Luckily, I have no issues w/ cold feet, like ever. I think the booze helps with circulation. I'd rather marinate my brain than batter up my feet like a damn fried chicken.
    TBH, I never had issues with cold feet or hands until a few years ago. Late-40s and my hands started getting cold, started using mittens. Now even most mittens aren't enough. My feet and core also have started to get cold. Aging fucking sucks.
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Ski harder

;p

Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    Ski harder

;p
    there IS truth to that. In fact, I told my daughter that on Monday, that when she skis really timid and slow she's not working as hard and not generating heat. But as I have gotten older I've gotten colder, no matter how hard I ski.

You tele, too, don’t you?

I’d think that would keep you cooking

So, I created a nice summary of this thread for my wife, of all the things we could try that don't cost money, and the few that do cost money (with cheap options first).

She wants to skip all the options and drop $200+ on hotronics.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    So, I created a nice summary of this thread for my wife, of all the things we could try that don't cost money, and the few that do cost money (with cheap options first).

This should be in the things that amuse me thread.

That reminds me of how my wife always turned up the heat in the house instead of just putting on a sweater.

did I mention we're broke, and the money we spend on this kid's skiing is already killing us?

https://boulder.craigslist.org/spo/d...240505946.html

At least somewhat cheaper. Gotta make sure the batteries still have life.

Quote Originally Posted by EWG View Post
    https://boulder.craigslist.org/spo/d...240505946.html

At least somewhat cheaper. Gotta make sure the batteries still have life.
    I'm sure she's already scoped those out.

Fwiw I wouldn't buy hotronics or thermics used unless they're damn near free. Batteries don't seem to last all that long (2 - 3 years at most) and often die over the summer even following directions to discharge and partially recharge every month or so. I want a warranty and have used it a couple of times.

Quote Originally Posted by dcpnz View Post
    Fwiw I wouldn't buy hotronics or thermics used unless they're damn near free. Batteries don't seem to last all that long (2 - 3 years at most) and often die over the summer even following directions to discharge and partially recharge every month or so. I want a warranty and have used it a couple of times.
    thanks for the advice. She actually told me about a craigslist ad already (maybe the one posted above) where the guy said he hadn't used in a while and she asked him to try and charge it, and it didn't charge.

thanks for the advice. She actually told me about a craigslist ad already (maybe the one posted above) where the guy said he hadn't used in a while and she asked him to try and charge it, and it didn't charge.
    Yup. When they go bad I buy the internal batteries online for about $10 per side and rip them apart, replace the batteries, and epoxy them back together.

Quote Originally Posted by EWG View Post
    Yup. When they go bad I buy the internal batteries online for about $10 per side and rip them apart, replace the batteries, and epoxy them back together.
    Hotronics or thermics??

Ive got thermics and want to do this but I can't figure out how to get the damn casing open