Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    my brain is getting softer and smoother, but i found the video. The whole thing is a classic, but the sequence with the great bump line skiing starts at 2:48
    Ha! Chuck, pre-Folsom, pre-Pit Viper ripping on Mojo 105s. Amazing

Even the village gave up on bumps.
    Thunder gets groomed regularly.
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Sirshredalot View Post
    It's not that you suck at skiing moguls - you suck at skiing. The moguls just prove it.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
    I always hate how they take them out of summer storage and don't put them back the right way. Fucks with my mojo.

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    Switch
    To the MFing road!

I just put one foot in front of the other.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1606864014.446742.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	215.9 KB 
ID:	350709

Quote Originally Posted by TurxSki View Post
    >>Don't fly off top of bumps, push tips down into troughs.
    Well, flying off the tops is really fun when you get the right air.

But seriously, when I start getting behind and the bumps are winning, that second part is my mantra to get my shit together. Extend your skis down into the troughs, really fucking fast. Then turn your hips, really fucking fast. The first gets you under control because you can now start edging on the shoulder before you hit full gravity, and the second sets you up to get out before the bottom. Those are my clues when I'm going fast and and losing the thread. Do that a few times and you get back on top of the bronco. Except when you are too far gone. Then you just keep your legs springy, point downhill, and hope you straightline out before you crack the aforementioned rib.

Extend into the troughs, turn your hips fast.

Where full grown men pretend to be cowboys
    I once asked Randy "The Hammer" Grosso this same question. He just replied, "Be like wattah."

SFD

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by evasive_MT View Post
    You do the hokey pokey
    And you turn yourself around
    That's what it's all about
    Shit. Yes. Hockey stop with solid pole plant! Thanks for the reminder!

/ my spelling no good

Quote Originally Posted by Sirshredalot View Post
    It's not that you suck at skiing moguls - you suck at skiing. The moguls just prove it.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
    So true! If you can’t shred bumps you can’t truly shred and everyone who can shred bumps is just a straight up ripper.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    I always hate how they take them out of summer storage and don't put them back the right way. Fucks with my mojo.

the TRUTH about moguls.....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3183.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	294.7 KB 
ID:	350737

It is fun to see into everyone's heads - how they perceive their bumps skiing with words. There's not too much time for the mental chatter while actually skiing bumps, is there?

I'm a sh!tty bump skier for the most part so I self coach a lot, just one thing at a time...I really like the cue to push those tips down on the other side of the bump (and lift the heels) - get a really good start on the next turn.

A simple drill I love is to perch on one bump and go straight into the back of the next one. Let the bump push your knees up and see how you really can control speed from that action alone. Magical...

Anyway, I like this thread, it's got so many good things to think about, got me excited to ski!
    Live each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit, and resign yourself to the influences of each.
    Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Abol98 View Post
    Look around.
    Make sure nobody is watching.
    Commence doomed attack while sitting in the backseat.
    Lose courage.
    Shoot out of the field sideways on one ski.
    Look at my skis like there is something wrong with them.
    Been there and still there ...

Quote Originally Posted by EWG View Post
    Well, flying off the tops is really fun when you get the right air.

But seriously, when I start getting behind and the bumps are winning, that second part is my mantra to get my shit together. Extend your skis down into the troughs, really fucking fast. Then turn your hips, really fucking fast. The first gets you under control because you can now start edging on the shoulder before you hit full gravity, and the second sets you up to get out before the bottom. Those are my clues when I'm going fast and and losing the thread. Do that a few times and you get back on top of the bronco. Except when you are too far gone. Then you just keep your legs springy, point downhill, and hope you straightline out before you crack the aforementioned rib.

Extend into the troughs, turn your hips fast.
    Hard to Extend your skis down into the troughs when you didn't pull the knees up in the first place.
    I thought I was using my legs and absorbing ... the video didn't lie though. I try to exaggerate that now and it has helped.
    Oh and #1, I was afraid of getting my skis sideways in the trough. Afraid it would throw me sideways and/or cause a knee explosion or something like that.
    Buttering the mogul, one knee in front (in the pocket) of the other, as the ski hits the end of the trough and rides up the hump -- that has helped me a lot.
    I still suck at them though. More practice.
    OH, MY GAWD! ―John Hillerman  Big Billie Eilish fan.
    But that's a quibble to what PG posted (at first, anyway, I haven't read his latest book) ―jono
    we are not arguing about ski boots or fashionable clothing or spageheti O's which mean nothing in the grand scheme ― XXX-er

Try and stay out of the operating room

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Find bumps that match your skis and pace

E.g. New England bumps suck. Short skis and hyper skiers that make quick turny turns like a furious masterbator.
    You can always spot the NE born and bred skiers out west. turn, turn, turn, turn.
    Eventually they learn turn, aaaand, turn, aaaand, turn, and flow and relaxxx

Wild West bumps, that's the best. Plus they're generally not an icy man-made skate park.

Someday I'd like to try my hand at New England bumps with an actual narrow and short bump ski.
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    Find bumps that match your skis and pace

E.g. New England bumps suck. Short skis and hyper skiers that make quick turny turns like a furious masterbator.
    You can always spot the NE born and bred skiers out west. turn, turn, turn, turn.

Wild West bumps, that's the best. Plus they're generally not an icy man-made skate park.

Someday I'd like to try my hand at New England bumps with an actual narrow and short bump ski.
    Over the years I watched the bump lines disappear at my old hill in the midwest...Boston Mills mane'. The last few seasons I was there I remember the bumps frequently being groomed down a to line that was less than 10 bumps long. It would usually turn into a single bump line starting with 3-4 normal bumps before the turn radius opened up and the bumps disappeared.

One guy's technique during this time was so funny to watch. He had long park skis with a healthy forward mount and super short poles. He'd pick up so much speed through the first few bumps, things would fall begin to apart from here. At this point his pole plants would be at a totally different cadence than his turns, but he'd keep it going 10 "turns" past the last bump. Looked like he was playing the drums with his ridiculously short poles, or an anxious child furiously stabbing at the snow in the lift line. He'd do this over and over, so for most of the season the only bumps were from him...And then there was the guy who'd ski bumps in his white Absolute Vodka branded one piece.

After some spring storms would come through the better skiers would start skiing bumps and the field would grow a level of consistency. It would corn up nice and we'd ski the troughs down to the grass.

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    Holy frig, attacked and called out as a furious massdebater. Mass sucks! (Wicked funny, bub.)

ski very stiff skis and just straightline over the tops of them.

The greatest N. New Mexico resort in Colorado
    You can’t learn to ski bumps on snow! You gotta put in the miles on dirt first!

Donna Weibrecht wrote a little article in Ski in ‘92 or ‘94 before the olympics about the importance of pole planting, and how that motion is elbows-down, mostly wrist, and that helped me immensely with posturing and body position. A quiet upper body isn’t something to strive for after you work on the feet, it’s a fundamental posture that your lower body movements stem from.

Compression, extension, loose tails, pole plants. It’s just that easy!

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    Quote Originally Posted by alpinevibes View Post
    Ha! Chuck, pre-Folsom, pre-Pit Viper ripping on Mojo 105s. Amazing
    chuck and almost all the pit viper crew was workin for the 9 when i showed up
    thanks fer that smile
    my stratogies ussually involves
    gittin high

above and away from overskied terrain and the people who overski it
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Just like all things sking. Point Them down the Fall line and deal with it as it comes. Be a legend in your own mind
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

Quote Originally Posted by snojones View Post
    CONTROL YOUR SPEED!!! CONTROL YOUR SPEED, CONTROL YOUR SPEED! As you learn to navigate bumps, speed control is critical. Go slow to begin with,until you can feel rhythm in your turns. Only when you have control of your rhythm, should you start working on increasing speed. There are people who just bash on the tops of bumps and fly over the other bumps. Most of them are in their 20s and won't be doing that in their 30s because their knees will refuse. Focus on being smooth through your turns. I am in my 60's and I still enjoy bumps despite my battered knees. Smooth is the long term goal.
    This. 20s I bashed bumps with brute force, 30s stopped skiing bumps due to knees, 40s started skiing them again with my kids with more finesse less trauma and slower speeds. Smooth is the key and you can ski bumps without abusing your knees.

I think someone already said it but yeah, look farther down the hill. Bumps are a great place to practice this.

North of South, South of North, West of East
    I knew this would happen when Epic went under.
    I should probably change my username to IReallyDon'tTeleMuchAnymoreDave.