Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    Don't go there.

Quote Originally Posted by wickstad View Post
    More like Bob Mann there.
    That would be Bob Boogie Mann.

Sorry for the intrusion. I just wanna sell some boots and I've been told up my post count to do that. I do enjoy the blasts from the past and that Donny is funny.

The first time I recall seeing snowboarders riding moguls was a dual competition at Breckenridge - probably in 1987 or so. Those dudes ripped fall line with some wild style and were really impressive. I guess it's a lost art -- backwards progression.

Always see Hannah every weekend at Killington in the spring. Great result today

www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

The greatest N. New Mexico resort in Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by Vt-Freeheel View Post
    Always see Hannah every weekend at Killington in the spring. Great result today

See, you just do that. I don’t know why we need six pages of this.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Back in the day the bumps were rounder, the powder was deeper, the women were freer, the music was louder, the drugs were trippier . . .
    Underrated comment

Quote Originally Posted by Eric1207 View Post
    Sorry for the intrusion. I just wanna sell some boots and I've been told up my post count to do that. I do enjoy the blasts from the past and that Donny is funny.
    This is a mogul thread so you better make sure they’re fulltilts...

Point, shoot, let the skis run, and hang on, that is if you can ski bumps

Lift those tails up as you make your turns.

Quote Originally Posted by shera View Post
    It is fun to see into everyone's heads - how they perceive their bumps skiing with words. There's not too much time for the mental chatter while actually skiing bumps, is there?

I'm a sh!tty bump skier for the most part so I self coach a lot, just one thing at a time...I really like the cue to push those tips down on the other side of the bump (and lift the heels) - get a really good start on the next turn.

A simple drill I love is to perch on one bump and go straight into the back of the next one. Let the bump push your knees up and see how you really can control speed from that action alone. Magical...

Anyway, I like this thread, it's got so many good things to think about, got me excited to ski!
    just a series of fluid speed checks.
    be water my friend
    embrace the gape
    and believe

stay in control for 3-4 turns....2-3 too fast turns......1-2 out of control airing the tops to .....full stop.......repeat.......

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    I've degraded far more than the moguls have.

I still like getting after them in the right conditions.
    That's my situation. Powdery or Slushy... no hard bumps for me.

Any opinions on soft versus stiff boots in bumps? I've heard people claim soft is better, but how soft? I've been running the soft tongues on my dalbello kyptons for the past few years due to injuries, but finally switched them back to the regular stiffer ones (probably 120 or so, not race stiff). Been much better for me in bumps (felt like I was folding over in the softer ones a bit and then rocking back and forth too much to compensate).

Quote Originally Posted by singlecross View Post
    Stay out of the troughs and off the tops... keep your tips pointed downhill and carve the shoulders of the bumps. Think where would water flow if it was running down the hill and follow that line. Find a ramp and air into the next good line. Cat tracks for bigger air and tricks. Thanks Mary Jane.
    Water would follow the troughs, just saying!

First off I suck at bumps (and would rather ski trees, etc.). Mainly because I avoid them and don't force myself to ski them. I realize that's not always an option depending on where you ski and if there is recent snow.

But a drill that I was taught years ago for learning how to ski them was to pick a number (between 2 and 4, I "think"). Count it out in your head and force yourself to turn on that count. 1,2,3 turn, 123 turn...
    Maybe that was just to make us keep the tips pointed down the fall line and not the best as more advanced skill. But it definitely helped me to limit my gaper traversing. I need to make myself do that again, because I'm still a bump gaper.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 3PinGrin View Post
    Water would follow the troughs, just saying!
    Not quite. Water would have momentum coming downhill, so would slosh up the backs/sides of bumps a bit, before continuing down. Think wave pool surfing??
    https://youtu.be/s_rXQJoGc1U

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using TGR Forums mobile app

...Remember, those who think Global Warming is Fake, also think that Adam & Eve were Real...

Grip it and Rip it.....until you hit that fucking snowboarder who's sitting on the back of bump where they can't be seen causing you to knock him out cold and you to blow out your ACL, and shatter your toe piece into 5 pieces.....yep sounds about right.

Quote Originally Posted by CnRzG View Post
    That's my situation. Powdery or Slushy... no hard bumps for me.
    They’re almost never soft where I live

Quote Originally Posted by himavan View Post
    Any opinions on soft versus stiff boots in bumps? I've heard people claim soft is better, but how soft? I've been running the soft tongues on my dalbello kyptons for the past few years due to injuries, but finally switched them back to the regular stiffer ones (probably 120 or so, not race stiff). Been much better for me in bumps (felt like I was folding over in the softer ones a bit and then rocking back and forth too much to compensate).
    Like anything, “soft” means different things to different people, so yeah I’d say soft boots are the norm, but there’s also too soft. Imo most mogul competitors are right where you are now, just shy of race stiff....which if you’re talking in high-performance ski circles is on the soft end of what people typically ski.

As long as your foot can tolerate it, there is no better mogul skiing boot than fulltilt...most comp bumpers are skiing a 8 or 10 tongue.

Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.

Quote Originally Posted by himavan View Post
    soft versus stiff boots in bumps
    Just like with ski flex: if you have to ask, you're going to want soft.
    Quote Originally Posted by digitaldeath View Post
    Here’s the dumbest person on tgr
    "What are you trying to say? I'm crazy? When I went to your ski schools, I went on your church trips, I went to your alpine race-training facilities? So how can you say I'm crazy?!"

Speaking of moguls, Mikael Kingsbury fractured some vertebrae and will be out 4 to 6 weeks.
    Here's to wishing him a speedy recovery!
    OH, MY GAWD! ―John Hillerman  Big Billie Eilish fan.
    But that's a quibble to what PG posted (at first, anyway, I haven't read his latest book) ―jono
    we are not arguing about ski boots or fashionable clothing or spageheti O's which mean nothing in the grand scheme ― XXX-er

Lame.
    I wonder who the next top dog will be

Quote Originally Posted by gimpy View Post
    stay in control for 3-4 turns....2-3 too fast turns......1-2 out of control airing the tops to .....full stop.......repeat.......
    Always fun to try to get the backseat to recline another notch

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    Shoulders square, eyes four turns down the hill, hands out front, shins firmly in tongue on boot. Absorb with knees/lower body, keep upper body quiet, pole plants are flicks of the wrist. Turns are on the front side of the mogul while pressing tips down the back side and slip the tails to control speed.
    There have been sporadic sightings of great advice in this thread from Goldmember and several others, but these three sentences from 2FUNKY summarize it best in my opinion.

There are several drills to help, but here are two that will get you started: (1) Practice short swing turns on moderate groomed slopes, not stacked long turns, but those with your body and arms facing the fall line as your skis turn underneath you. The key is to feel your big spring working through engaging your core. (2) Practice absorption and extension on a moderate bump run by skiing across the fall line with no turns at whatever angle works for you. Key elements are to keep a quiet upper body, to stay balanced, to concentrate on the extension part, and to keep your tips on the snow as much as possible, especially on the back side of the bump. Increase the angle as you gain proficiency.

In my limited experience, if you can do these things well, you will have an impossible time avoiding a breakthrough in the bumps.

Good luck!

cheers,
    john