Page 2 of 53 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by gretch6364 View Post

Took my 5yo son for his first day on Ajax. Stood in line about 20 minutes for the gondola, then down to the express, which also had a big line, back down to FIS, down Ruthies, then back to top and top to bottom to find some hot cocoa. Took him about 2.5 hours, but was really fun covering almost all parts of the mountain. He fell asleep within minutes...haha.

good day, great parenting!

Can't wait to see what happens with Pre-Devo this weekend. Supposed to have them and a few other groups of AVSC kids at Highlands this weekend. I'm sure they'll try to keep as many of them as possible on Thunderbowl. Snowmass was pretty quiet on Saturday all things considered. Got my youngest skiing around them mountain now, which will be our game changer for family ski days this year. Last part of month looks like we finally break down this ridge.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by uglymoney View Post
    Negative covid test requirement seems likely to change our plans next month, but with the way things are going I was pretty negative on the idea we were going to make it happen anyway. I'm a rule follower and risking a $5000 fine isn't my cup. Looks like we could just cancel our airbnb in Aspen and stay up in Carbondale and still ski, at least at this point. We were planning to be in Utah for the first half of the week then Aspen. Not sure I want to fuck around getting all of us tested on Sunday or Monday in SLC and hope for a result by Wednesday. Not planning to share air with a anybody anyway.

Sigh...really hope these vaccines makes an impact so later this spring we can make something happen.

Country club for you locals.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

Quote Originally Posted by One (+) Sentence View Post
    Our Christmas trip to visit family is now up in the air. Not so much because we don’t want to get tested before we come, but moreso we just don’t want to be in contact with any of those RFV “interns.”
    Might not be terrible for some people to postpone a bit. I would stay away from any traveling during the holidays...personally.
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

2020/21 Aspen/Roaring Fork Thread

^^
    I wouldn’t disagree. I ski everyday and don’t have any problems skiing.
    But just being in town, increases your exposure. I felt safer at the J Bar last week, than at Fuel in Snowmass today.
    Place was packed with instructors.

Where's the go-to spot for getting bindings mounted in the valley?

Hamilton Sports

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    But just being in town, increases your exposure. I felt safer at the J Bar last week, than at Fuel in Snowmass today.
    Place was packed with instructors.
    Heh, I ran into Fuel on Sunday afternoon and it was oddly packed: both a lot of employees and 3-4 customers coming in while I was trying to pay for my takeout. Weird vibe

Quote Originally Posted by alpinevibes View Post
    Heh, I ran into Fuel on Sunday afternoon and it was oddly packed: both a lot of employees and 3-4 customers coming in while I was trying to pay for my takeout. Weird vibe

Time to see what Fletcher has at the grab and go window at Stew Pot.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by JaytaeMoney View Post
    Hamilton Sports

so killer that place is still going strong. remember when the original speed skier founder/namesake moved next to us in Basalt. Thought he was crazy to open it at the time, I mean he was crazy, but that was a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
    so killer that place is still going strong. remember when the original speed skier founder/namesake moved next to us in Basalt. Thought he was crazy to open it at the time, I mean he was crazy, but that was a good idea.
    I would second Hamilton sports, and I work for a competitor. Good crew. Good work. Those guys also rip.

Has anyone got their vouchers to show up in the app? For like half off, etc.

Yeah mine are all there. Tap account, then passholder benefits

Thanks. My app must not be properly linked to my pass. It is also not tracking my days. There was a weird mix up with my accounts and I ended up with two. They must not of fixed it right.

Quote Originally Posted by gretch6364 View Post
    They must not have fixed it right.

FIFY. Sorry, that one hurt me to read as it was written.

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    FIFY. Sorry, that one hurt me to read as it was written.
    That is my western PA sentence structure creeping up for all yinz guys. No matter how long I am gone...it still seems to do that every once in while. Ha!

Posting to follow.

I got kicked out of last year's thread for trying to figure out how to navigate the Pitkin covids without being flogged. Got flogged anyway. Running here with tail between legs. Carry on.
    Last edited by uglymoney; 12-09-2020 at 11:16 AM.

Posting to follow.

I got kicked out of last year's thread for trying to figure out how to navigate the Pitkin covids without being flogged. Got flogged anyway. Running here with tail between legs. Carry on.
    Just get tested?
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    Just get tested?
    We'd get tested in Utah, maybe after we ski Monday. Then hope to have results by Wednesday so we could roll into Aspen legally. But we have to cancel our reservation by the previous Saturday, so if we didn't get our results in time to stay in Pitkin Wednesday evening we'd be out a few hundred dollars. And to really do it right we should really get tested in Iowa before leaving for Utah. And if we somehow picked up the virus in Utah in a lift line or something since we don't plan to go inside anywhere except to our hotel room, it wouldn't show up as a positive on that test, but we could be positive in Aspen. If we tested positive in Utah, we'd have to isolate in a hotel for ten days, which we could swing, or same in Aspen, which we can't afford because Aspen is Aspen.

All to use 2 days on our MC pass in Aspen because I love to ski those mountains.

Seems like a lot of juggling and a lot of deep thinking and a lot of what ifs.

Our normal plan is, someone gets sick we turn the car the 17 hours toward home (13 hrs 42 minues from Aspen to home) and call it a week. We are expert Euro style ditch pissers, all of us. And we've done 3 trips living out of a cooler for a week during the pandemic, without going near anybody. But I understand shit happens, knees blow, cars break, and we don't live in a vacuum. Thus I will respect the rules your county has made.

We'll most likely find a way to keep things simple or I won't enjoy the vacation...I'm already always filled with anxiety about nothing, can't add too much into the mix before it isn't worth it. And I think I can get some days off in April. Hopefully by then the vaccine will be in my blood and we can all go back to loving one another. As a courtesy to the Aspen airbnb dude we are going to go ahead and cancel our cool little condo. Breathe easy.

I'm out for now. Will stay tuned for snow info. Stupid of me to post about this in the first place. Maybe I'll check back in the spring.
    Last edited by uglymoney; 12-09-2020 at 01:13 PM.

We'd get tested in Utah, maybe after we ski Monday. Then hope to have results by Wednesday so we could roll into Aspen legally. But we have to cancel our reservation by the previous Saturday, so if we didn't get our results in time to stay in Pitkin Wednesday evening we'd be out a few hundred dollars. And to really do it right we should really get tested in Iowa before leaving for Utah. And if we somehow picked up the virus in Utah in a lift line or something since we don't plan to go inside anywhere except to our hotel room, it wouldn't show up as a positive on that test, but we could be positive in Aspen. If we tested positive in Utah, we'd have to isolate in a hotel for ten days, which we could swing, or same in Aspen, which we can't afford because Aspen is Aspen.

All to use 2 days on our MC pass in Aspen because I love to ski those mountains.

Our normal plan is, someone gets sick we turn the car the 17 hours toward home (13 hrs 42 minues from Aspen to home) and call it a week. We are expert Euro style ditch pissers, all of us. And we've done 3 trips living out of a cooler for a week during the pandemic, without going near anybody. But I understand shit happens, knees blow, cars break, and we don't live in a vacuum. Thus I will respect the rules your county has made.

We'll most likely find a way to keep things simple or I won't enjoy the vacation...I'm already always filled with anxiety about nothing, can't add too much into the mix before it isn't worth it. And I think I can get some days off in April. Hopefully by then the vaccine will be in my blood and we can all go back to loving one another. As a courtesy to the Aspen airbnb dude we are going to go ahead and cancel our cool little condo.
    I think everyone can get behind this level of respect and attitude. Hopefully we get to see you skiing in April and the family has a great time in Utah. Stay safe and healthy.

Promised I was done but...

An article today for others that may be in the situation I was in before we canceled. Could be helpful trying to decide what direction to go.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usa...amp/3800400001

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Promised I was done but...
    You don't have to be done, nor do you need to issue any promises. On the grand scheme of American behavior, I actually think that a skiing road trip can be towards the lower end of risky behaviors. More specifically, I think about the act of burning a tank of gas and staying in a hotel room or STR being on par with something like a trip to the grocery store.

The issue I have is simply based on two of my own opinions. One is that every action we are taking is either making the pandemic better or worse. Every social interaction...worse. Every social interaction avoided...better. Where we each want to draw the line for acceptable is our own deal. But with where we are at currently, we should all be moving our line is the more conservative direction.

Second is managing our behavior based on something other the public health response. The whole idea that you'll change your lodging situ based on the pain in the ass factor highlights to me an issue with our collective response. No shit COVID is a pain in the ass. To some extent we are all living that on a daily basis. Some are paying with their health and the checkbook and even their lives.

Those of us that have to give up visiting our friends and family, going on vacation, flying in airplanes, parties, bars an whatever other awesome things need to get up everyday, do a bit of yoga and feel fortunate.

Play a board game, try to do 1000x burpies in a week, learn to juggle, vacum behind the fridge, volunteer. Make some phone calls to your friends, wax your skis, good deep in some science. Is is hard? Maybe. Think back on world history. When your grandkids read the chapter on Corona, who do you want to be? This is our time in history. Are we gonna suck or kick ass?

We'll most likely find a way to keep things simple or I won't enjoy the vacation...I'm already always filled with anxiety about nothing, can't add too much into the mix before it isn't worth it. And I think I can get some days off in April. Hopefully by then the vaccine will be in my blood and we can all go back to loving one another. As a courtesy to the Aspen airbnb dude we are going to go ahead and cancel our cool little condo. Breathe easy.

I'm out for now. Will stay tuned for snow info. Stupid of me to post about this in the first place. Maybe I'll check back in the spring.
    I doubt you’d pick up the virus in a Utah lift line, but if you end up going to one of the non-alcoholic dance parties in a Provo strip mall where no one is wearing masks you just might...

Quote Originally Posted by One (+) Sentence View Post
    I doubt you’d pick up the virus in a Utah lift line, but if you end up going to one of the non-alcoholic dance parties in a Provo strip mall where no one is wearing masks you just might...
    When I go on vacation their in nothing a like more than a dirty soda and a good soak!