Page 1 of 53 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

2020/21 Aspen/Roaring Fork Thread

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    This.

Good to ski with you and the kids Gretch.

Most people are doing what they are supposed to. A few covidiots here and there. An amazing amount of out of towners and many foreigners!? If not, many are not english speakers, which has made some of the mask wearing messaging interesting.
    As always, good to ski with you guys. Watching all the kids grow up on these slopes has to be one of the great joys of living here.

I am having a blast watching my own kids, but almost as fun is watching locals like GR’s kids grow up skiing.

One of the valleys many blessings for sure. Cheers to a new season and hope of no shut down.

One of my last pics before last season ended. Can’t wait to be up there again!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1606796669.605440.jpg 
Views:	262 
Size:	220.1 KB 
ID:	350587
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

Alright, here we go!

Been hearing rumblings but unsure, is there going to be a reservations system? If so any idea how it’s going to work?

Quote Originally Posted by gotpow View Post
    Been hearing rumblings but unsure, is there going to be a reservations system? If so any idea how it’s going to work?
    Yes there will likely be one, for the busiest times at least. No word or idea how it will work.
    "They don't think it be like it is, but it do."

It’s been alluded to, but only as a worst-case scenario. I could see it being implemented for the black-out weekends if they see bookings rise. But assuming COVID stays high, PitCo requires a Negative test to be here and more terrain continues to open, they may not have the demand that could require it.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by alpinevibes View Post
    PitCo requires a Negative test to be here
    Not really sure how they're actually going to enforce this though...

Quote Originally Posted by SkiNowWorkLater View Post
    Not really sure how they're actually going to enforce this though...
    exactly. They have no power to enforce this. As they dont for all the people having house parties. They know they are having them, but can do nothing.

For those who have been here a while, I just did this Go Fund Me page for Tyler Williams. Tyler is a product of the Aspen Ski Club. I raced in teh 24 hours of aspen with him where we got third. He went on to race 6 more times winning 2x, once with Chris Davenport.
    He has been diagnosed with a Brain AVM. Basically a cyst that lays dormant in your brain until it starts growing.
    He is in great spirits but he is confined to a wheel chair and needs some help with alternative treatments.

Anything you can do would be greatly appreciated.

https://gf.me/u/za4mpu

Quote Originally Posted by skideeppow View Post
    For those who have been here a while, I just did this Go Fund Me page for Tyler Williams. Tyler is a product of the Aspen Ski Club. I raced in teh 24 hours of aspen with him where we got third. He went on to race 6 more times winning 2x, once with Chris Davenport.
    He has been diagnosed with a Brain AVM. Basically a cyst that lays dormant in your brain until it starts growing.
    He is in great spirits but he is confined to a wheel chair and needs some help with alternative treatments.

Anything you can do would be greatly appreciated.

https://gf.me/u/za4mpu
    Shit, crazy! I met Tyler our first year here; he hooked me up with some RX 130s from Ajax before Basalt Bike took over the corner. Really nice guy, didn't know his backstory/credentials

Nothing like looking out for our community. Nice work St Regis

https://www.aspentimes.com/news/coro...ntern-program/

There are a lot of pieces of that story to pick out and go down a wormhole.
    18 interns in a 9 bedroom house...

But the comments, the comments are gold.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

For those of you scoring at home, this super spreader event courtesy of the St Regis was happening on the same day that the hoteliers were in the news publicly blaming locals' "lackadaisical offseason behavior" for spreading COVID-19 in Pitkin County.

https://www.aspentimes.com/news/aspe...heir-capacity/

Quote Originally Posted by JaytaeMoney View Post
    For those of you scoring at home, this super spreader event courtesy of the St Regis was happening on the same day that the hoteliers were in the news publicly blaming locals' "lackadaisical offseason behavior" for spreading COVID-19 in Pitkin County.

https://www.aspentimes.com/news/aspe...heir-capacity/
    Even though hoteliers are trying to deflect with their position, I think their point is valid. I would wager the St Regis spread can be attributed to off-work activities, Thanksgiving and the "crowded house." I don't think community spread is being strongly increased by lax hotel protocols, despite what their workers (and all workers) do in their free time.

But... skiing! Got out for my first day today and had some nice laps. All was good besides patrol keeping Dipsy "groomer" open in the afternoon when there are softball size rocks littering the run. I didn't ski it, but the surface was criminal to those who did.

Quote Originally Posted by alpinevibes View Post
    Even though hoteliers are trying to deflect with their position, I think their point is valid. I would wager the St Regis spread can be attributed to off-work activities, Thanksgiving and the "crowded house." I don't think community spread is being strongly increased by lax hotel protocols, despite what their workers (and all workers) do in their free time.

But... skiing! Got out for my first day today and had some nice laps. All was good besides patrol keeping Dipsy "groomer" open in the afternoon when there are softball size rocks littering the run. I didn't ski it, but the surface was criminal to those who did.
    If you were dumb enough to go down dipsy, you deserved the core shots you got.
    We have had no snow and there is no snow making on the run.
    Skiing has been great everywhere else all things considered.

Looking dry the next 10 days or so. Really hoping we can get a big storm before Christmas.

"We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

Quote Originally Posted by gretch6364 View Post
    Looking dry the next 10 days or so. Really hoping we can get a big storm before Christmas.

Still dirtbike season until the jet stream drops down.

If you were dumb enough to go down dipsy, you deserved the core shots you got.
    We have had no snow and there is no snow making on the run.
    Skiing has been great everywhere else all things considered.
    Truth. The only people I saw skiing it were on the struggle bus to begin with, so the beat goes on. Great conditions, for our weak Nov snow, otherwise

I'll keep saying it until I don't have to, but snowmaking to the top of Ajax is about as big of a game changer as we're going to see here. Only reason we're not crushing skis like a few years ago when we had nothing on top.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Yeah we'd be on the Nell to Bell program this year without it. Which I did on Sunday just to remind myself how bad it sucks.

Ajax skied pretty darn great today, as GR said, the snow making is pretty key right now.

Took my 5yo son for his first day on Ajax. Stood in line about 20 minutes for the gondola, then down to the express, which also had a big line, back down to FIS, down Ruthies, then back to top and top to bottom to find some hot cocoa. Took him about 2.5 hours, but was really fun covering almost all parts of the mountain. He fell asleep within minutes...haha.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1607207613.926684.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	750.3 KB 
ID:	351341

Nice sunday, super chill on the 1A. Ruthi's skied great till 11ish. Roch and Reardon's were fun and pretty soft.

Snowmass was pretty empty today crowd wise. It skied ok for a family ski day, got pretty slick by mid day, but the weather was good and we got to ski. Not much else matters right now as far skiing in my mind. Just great to be able to go.

Skiing is what it is, not great but Ajax is the king during low tide.

Panda Peak has been incredible with the little one. No main lift so you can stroll up at 11am and get front row parking and they aren't scanning right now which is awesome for parents who didn't get the premier pass.

there is a lot not to like there, including how many interns they have and what they are doing ( waiting tables)
    When I worked there the hotel was 2x as big ( wing closest to gondola all residences and spa now ) and we did it with actual employees. Interns in Aspen especially with the housing, etc there is terrible.

The testing and protocols that most hotels have in place would have stopped that outbreak cold. Sad to see.