Page 32 of 53 FirstFirst ... 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    Any news from Highlands closer?
    Highlands was mellow. Light crowds all day and from what I saw people cleared out when the lifts closed. Alehouse had a big fence around it and was limiting entry with a $20 cover so that turned most people away, plus there was a pretty noticeable police presence. Not sure if it devolved after that but we took off a little after 3. Really fun ski day - plenty of stupid costumes and shenanigans on the hill and at merry go round but no covid mobs so it was pretty perfect
    Quote Originally Posted by other grskier View Post
    well, in the three years i've been skiing i bet i can ski most anything those 'pro's' i listed can, probably

I thought I was gonna burst into flames while hiking the bowl on Saturday, so hot with no clouds and no wind. Seems like our temps are going to be more seasonal this week with highs in the 50s which is ok with me.

I'm looking good for Friday at 11am right now, work stuff tends to find its way onto my calendar throughout the week but I'd love to meet you guys so I'll definitely stop by if at all possible.

I would love to meet up with some of the local mags on Friday at 11am...deck at 1A.

I skipped skiing this weekend, but will probably get the kids out Saturday...wife is meeting her gang on Sunday. Which makes some laps on Friday perfect. We definitely need this coming 10 day forecast of freezing temps over night and below 55 during the day in town. I have kind of switched over to fishing and Saturday the Fork below Basalt was already getting colored up and a good bit higher then it was Friday. Hopefully we can have a mild April/May and a nice slow runoff...for the sake of summer and our forest!
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

Just flew back from HI yesterday; missed Highlands closing but I could probably swing a quick visit to 1A on Friday

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Sounds like despite the junior-sized party, the people still lived it up

"Aspen Police, Pitkin County see spike in DUI arrests" - https://www.aspendailynews.com/news/...0d6020792.html

Of the eight DUI arrests — the number reported across Aspen Police and the Pitkin County Sheriff’s Office from Friday to Sunday — two were associated with Aspen Highlands’ closing day, Linn said.
    Linn, who was in uniform at Highlands on Sunday, wasn’t impressed by the general conduct.

“I can tell you that what I saw there did not seem like COVID was on anybody’s mind,” he said. “Although the crowd size was a lot smaller than previous years’ Highlands closing parties, the behavior looked pretty much like it did in any other year.”

Quote Originally Posted by alpinevibes View Post
    Sounds like despite the junior-sized party, the people still lived it up
    Unfortunately not too surprised by the DUIs, people were boozing pretty hard while skiing and without a place to congregate after the lifts closed and limited bus service I think a lot of people just drove elsewhere to keep it going

As far as covid concern goes from what I saw if cops had been there on st paddys day they would've been considerably more appalled - Highlands closer looked organized and sparse compared to the st paddys superspreader. Not that any of it is okay but I don't think the behavior was that different from what I've seen the rest of the season, this just got more attention. But I didn't stick around after the lifts closed so who knows maybe it devolved a lot
    Quote Originally Posted by other grskier View Post
    well, in the three years i've been skiing i bet i can ski most anything those 'pro's' i listed can, probably

Hey I will be there 4/16-18. Suggestions for lodging? two of us/2BR. thanks!
    I <heart> hot tele-moms

Quote Originally Posted by jhyatt View Post
    Hey I will be there 4/16-18. Suggestions for lodging? two of us/2BR. thanks!
    get here before the snow is gone, unless you are here for fishing and golf.

So I think I am gonna have to miss the Friday get together. Would love to find a time for lunch laps with some mags before the lifts close or a late afternoon and some beers.

I am now scheduled in the Friday J&J vax group just before 11 with the wife. We had the VID, so probably shouldn't come and rip right after the shot. We signed right on at 10 worried it would fill up immediately...it felt like buying concert tickets back in the day.

Anyhow, looks like there is still availability.
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

coming to ski. aspen and snowmass should still be open for slushy laps? coming from A-basin/Copper

Quote Originally Posted by Asspen View Post
    get here before the snow is gone, unless you are here for fishing and golf.
    I <heart> hot tele-moms

I went to dinner at a friends place in Meadowood at 6 and there seemed to still be a police presence about.

Aspen and from what I hear Snowmass, has been dead.

It’s been as warm as I’ve ever seen and the snows going fast. Since we haven’t had a mini and we have a bunch of mags in town, I’m proposing Friday 4/9 at 11:00. We can meet at the Shadow Mountain deck, just across from 1A.
    Be fun to check in and say Hey! on Friday.

What’s skiing better in the heat, Aspen or Snowmass?

Quote Originally Posted by 54-46 View Post

Kind of a loaded question, but snowmass is generally higher.

Quote Originally Posted by jhyatt View Post
    coming to ski. aspen and snowmass should still be open for slushy laps? coming from A-basin/Copper
    Open, Ajax till the 18th, Snowmass till the 25th.

But the heat is on and the snowpack is cooking fast.

2020/21 Aspen/Roaring Fork Thread

Quote Originally Posted by 54-46 View Post

Aspen’s steeper East/West facing slopes soften earlier, but the window of good skiing is shorter.

Snowmass is higher and mostly north facing.
    It takes longer to soften, but the window a bit longer.

I’m usually done skiing Aspen by 2:30. I skied Snowmass till 4 yesterday. Today was firm.

I’ll probably hit 1A 10:30ish tomorrow and Snowmass around noon on Thursday.

Good info^^^!

Quote Originally Posted by gretch6364 View Post
    So I think I am gonna have to miss the Friday get together.

I am now scheduled in the Friday J&J vax group just before 11 with the wife. We had the VID, so probably shouldn't come and rip right after the shot..
    At the tent? show up early, no reason to not go take a lap or two.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    At the tent? show up early, no reason to not go take a lap or two.
    Well...except jobs. Will need to get a couple hours of work done before in case we are both stuck in bed the whole afternoon.

Besides...how is the skiing currently first thing in the morning? We have not gotten any snow since that crazy warm up

Most reservations show up early and the tent is empty in the afternoon.

We’ll probably be lapping thru 1A every 30 minutes or so. Just sit on the deck and drink my beer.
    We’ll probably do lunch 12:30-1:00ish and then head back out.

I'm going to try to swing by, depending on my work schedule. Would be fun to meet a few folks.

I've only skied two days on Ajax this season where I didn't start on 1A. It's going to be sad to see that side of the mountain change. A slow double to start the day really sets the mood.

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    I'm going to try to swing by, depending on my work schedule. Would be fun to meet a few folks.

I've only skied two days on Ajax this season where I didn't start on 1A. It's going to be sad to see that side of the mountain change. A slow double to start the day really sets the mood.
    Can always Nell to Bell if you miss it.....

Bell’s usually only open weekends.

Quote Originally Posted by gretch6364 View Post
    Can always Nell to Bell if you miss it.....
    That's never open other than busy, rando spring, or pandemic days
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Well...can still get your double fixed grip fix from Bell when it is open.

When Bell is spinning (and the snow is decent) I ski it and FIS exclusively. Back of Bell to Gents laps alternating with Face to FIS to the Dumps/Silver Queen and back to Bell Chair. That's a day well spent in my book.

Don't forget about Sunlight, it's there for all of your excruciatingly slow fixed grip double riding needs. Plus bonus center pole, inattentive lifties, and angle iron lift towers for the full ambiance.

You guys have fun with the mini summit today. How about a weekend meetup next time for us working stiffs?