Page 16 of 53 FirstFirst ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast
    It will still be really good! I’m ripping the Powderoy at Snowmass early! Then I swing by the poma around 10 and take a couple of laps in HV.

Probably take the dog for some XC in the afternoon.

Went out for dinner last night for the first time since Christmas. Got the window seat at Tatanka. Foods only fair, but it’s a great spot for people watching.
    Nice to see town somewhat busy!

Ya think? Ajax was getting pretty manky by the time I left yesterday, thinking it's going to be dust on crust up there today. Might skip around on McClure and save myself 100 miles of driving.

Absolutely. The low angle north facing stuff at Snowmass doesn’t get the sun.
    Plus, if I only ski three hours, NBD.

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    Ya think? Ajax was getting pretty manky by the time I left yesterday, thinking it's going to be dust on crust up there today. Might skip around on McClure and save myself 100 miles of driving.
    I think they closed 133 for avi mitigation last night.

That was you on the swing? So fun. Skied so well In there.

Already been a good day.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0483.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	1.52 MB 
ID:	362870

Quote Originally Posted by skideeppow View Post
    I think they closed 133 for avi mitigation last night.

That was you on the swing? So fun. Skied so well In there.

Well, shit, looks like I'm driving around after all.

Yeah, in the yellow helmet. It's nice to finally have halfway decent coverage in those trees.

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    I let my wife ski early yesterday and took my kid to Buttermilk in the morning. I didn't get to Ajax until 12:45 and skied until the end of the day and I thought it was still excellent (on the right aspects/elevations) up to and including the last run of the day.

Sent the wife out just now; cleared off the car for her and damn that snow is light!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I had to stop in the office, so hit Ajax this morning. The bumps were super soft and fun...got a core shot though.

Speaking of Ajax and days like today...what skis do you guys typically run? I think I need something a little quicker then my Sick Day 104 in 186cm for days like today.

I am 5’11”..195lbs. Any suggestions? I do prefer skis I can find from prior years for good deals or I can get a deal on K2s.

Thanks.

"We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

I ski a 183cm Salomon Stance 102 as my everyday ski around here. Sometimes it can be a handful in tight spots or big bumps. I may go with something a little more maneuverable for next year, but the stability at speed is nice.

I'm 5'7" 155lbs.

Yeah...I love the sick day 104...and would like to add something in the mid 90s and like 112

"We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

Quote Originally Posted by gretch6364 View Post
    Yeah...I love the sick day 104...and would like to add something in the mid 90s and like 112

Man... if you can find some old Fischer Watea 94's. Damn those were fun skis.

Confused. You mean quicker as in more stable/chargy? By "mid 90s and like 112" I assume you mean 190-something and 112mm underfoot? At 195#, surely you don't want a quicker as in lighter, narrower, shorter, more turny ski than the 186cm SD 104 for primo conditions like we had today... right?

2020/21 Aspen/Roaring Fork Thread

Sorry Jay...two different skis. Something in a mid 90s the bumps that is quicker side to side and then also add something around 112 for in the trees on powder days.

Yesterday was just soft bumps and really not reason in my mind for my 104s....but maybe I am just not quick enough for them...I find myself always skiing the tops of bumps or alternating...rather then straight down the fall line (zipper)...with the skis.

Might also need my sarcasm meter turned on...not sure ;-)

Anything 95-105 underfoot with camber is good for the RFV daily driver.

2020/21 Aspen/Roaring Fork Thread

I’ve been very intrigued by the Rustler 9 or Enforcer 93 as a low tide DD here. Maybe Stance 96 too? I have an old Brahma that’s fine but not quite my style.

Currently, myself and another 6 of my usual ski partners have the Atris as our DD. If you’re not a Coshise/BMX105HP/Kore105 charger, it’s a nice do-it-all that kills in softer conditions.

Heading up for a few Bowl laps. Looks to be sub-zero up high!

Last edited by alpinevibes; 02-15-2021 at 10:29 AM.

Nice...it will be cold up there...keep the face covered.

I am getting older and less of a charger then I used to be. I replaced a full titanium ski with the Sick Day 104 and I honestly love it everywhere but at Ajax on a no new snow day. It is just a bit much for me when skiing nothing but things like Bell all day. Also is a bit much on dry days on some of the really bumped up runs on DT. I cut my teeth out east on bump skis...and while I don't want to go that far...I do think I would have more fun on something mid-90s underfoot. Probably more fun on non-storm days in April as well. Or...I could just ski more get stronger and stop making excuses...ha!

I don't think I need to go much shorter and would want to stay in the 180s. Oddly...the 104s also become too much ski in the bumps for me after two or so beers...lol

I’ve been really liking the moment PB&J as an everyday ski for around here, especially for Ajax. A very playful charger that seems well suited to going fast and jumping off stuff even when things are pretty firm and bumped out
    Quote Originally Posted by other grskier View Post
    well, in the three years i've been skiing i bet i can ski most anything those 'pro's' i listed can, probably

Might also need my sarcasm meter turned on...not sure ;-)

No sarcasm, was just confused after several glasses of wine. I skied soft chop at Snowmass all day yesterday and I thought 108 was just about perfect.

Anyway I think a 180 Brahma sounds pretty good for what you're describing and would be a nice complement to your SD 104. They will come in very handy during early season WROD as well. Read the Blister review, the 187 is a very different ski and not quite as versatile.

Nice...it will be cold up there...keep the face covered.

I am getting older and less of a charger then I used to be. I replaced a full titanium ski with the Sick Day 104 and I honestly love it everywhere but at Ajax on a no new snow day. It is just a bit much for me when skiing nothing but things like Bell all day. Also is a bit much on dry days on some of the really bumped up runs on DT. I cut my teeth out east on bump skis...and while I don't want to go that far...I do think I would have more fun on something mid-90s underfoot. Probably more fun on non-storm days in April as well. Or...I could just ski more get stronger and stop making excuses...ha!

I don't think I need to go much shorter and would want to stay in the 180s. Oddly...the 104s also become too much ski in the bumps for me after two or so beers...lol
    Fulll titanium?! The ski marketers got ya. Titanal is.....aluminum.

love my 187 Brahmas when its hard and fast out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Asspen View Post
    Fulll titanium?! The ski marketers got ya. Titanal is.....aluminum.

love my 187 Brahmas when its hard and fast out there.
    But it's got tits AND anal, therefore it is superior to even titanium.

Also, conditions were pretty damn good out there today. Went to Snowmass to ski the morning and ended up getting back to the car at 2:30.

Yes...I guess they did get me. Aluminum seems like a dumb choice...doesn’t typically rebound well back to its original shape.

Enjoyed a classic Highlands day-after session yesterday from 10-2. Ran into a buddy who is also a new dad; great to ski, commiserate and laugh about babies.

We skied off DT a few min after the rope drop for the Bowl. I got to set the boot pack up the top half, which was a sweat fest all day. Cold, but very sunny and still.

Name:	Image1613484076.248892.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	156.3 KB 
ID:	363201

Name:	Image1613484090.932957.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	214.8 KB 
ID:	363202

We dropped into Full Curl (meh), but the G’s were good. Two more DT laps then he had to bail to tag out his wife. I hiked two more to Steep and Deep. The Upper B’s are finally in with good coverage. Surfy, soft chop for big turns.

mammary lane