Page 18 of 53 FirstFirst ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by pfluffenmeister View Post
    Will be @ Highlands tomorrow. Likely Ajax Tuesday, Sunlight Wednesday.

Fluorescent yellow jacket and maybe matching skis.
    Ask for change!
    If your flexible, I’ll be at 1A about 10:30.
    You won’t find a better guide.

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    The wife was supposed to be in the clinic and didn’t rally early enough. I knew parking would be an issue.

Aspens been good. They’re running Bell and all the gated terrain was open from the get go.
    Yeah...it was crappy, but she found a spot. Still took them forever to get skiing. That is one thing they need to fix about the clinics. Shouldn’t take an hour after everyone arrives to make first turns.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

Hey all,

Will be in town Fri, Sat, Sun, Mon. Staying in Basalt, unfortunately. How early do I have to get to Highlands to get a parking space? Where do I park to ski Ajax? Finally, is there a place to park at Snowmass that doesn’t use the shuttle?

Sorry to ask, normally we stay in town and just use buses. Appreciate any info. Feel free to PM. And thanks. Looking forward to the good snow.

If your flexible, I’ll be at 1A about 10:30.
    You won’t find a better guide.
    I'm pretty much a newb at Aspen, so a guide would be awesome!

I'll shoot you a PM.

Quote Originally Posted by EWG View Post
    Hey all,

Will be in town Fri, Sat, Sun, Mon. Staying in Basalt, unfortunately. How early do I have to get to Highlands to get a parking space? Where do I park to ski Ajax? Finally, is there a place to park at Snowmass that doesn’t use the shuttle?

Sorry to ask, normally we stay in town and just use buses. Appreciate any info. Feel free to PM. And thanks. Looking forward to the good snow.

In Aspen the 2hr residential zones are not being enforced right now due to Covid. So you can park in those zones all day for free at the moment. You can also park in the core and pay the meter, 4hr maximum.

Snowmass, you have to take the shuttle if you want to park for free. If you are willing to pay then you have options (Two Creeks, Parking Garage). Several of the permitted lots up by the mall are free after 12:30pm.

Highlands... can't speak to that, I've steered clear during Covid weekends but I heard it has been bad lately. Maybe save that one for a weekday.

Highlands was a shitshow sunday considering they reported less than Ajax and, half of Snowmass' 8". I need to start checking AVSC schedule, and avoid highlands like the plague on those kids race days.

Quote Originally Posted by JaytaeMoney View Post
    In Aspen the 2hr residential zones are not being enforced right now due to Covid. So you can park in those zones all day for free at the moment. You can also park in the core and pay the meter, 4hr maximum.

Snowmass, you have to take the shuttle if you want to park for free. If you are willing to pay then you have options (Two Creeks, Parking Garage). Several of the permitted lots up by the mall are free after 12:30pm.

Highlands... can't speak to that, I've steered clear during Covid weekends but I heard it has been bad lately. Maybe save that one for a weekday.
    Pretty sure Two Creeks is also free after noon

Yesterday looked like a fun one bummed I had to take the day off to rest a back injury
    Quote Originally Posted by other grskier View Post
    well, in the three years i've been skiing i bet i can ski most anything those 'pro's' i listed can, probably

I skied Ajax 9-3 yesterday with my wife, great day on the right aspects. Had some all-time runs on Jackpot; great snow quality in wind-sheltered S1 and Christmas Tree.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1614010308.768006.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	1.17 MB 
ID:	364323

Name:	Image1614010334.821530.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	331.6 KB 
ID:	364324

Name:	Image1614010349.889694.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	199.4 KB 
ID:	364325

Name:	Image1614010369.659239.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	267.7 KB 
ID:	364326

We cashed in a free day of babysitting and had our first full ski day together in a few years. I reserved a $50 igloo at Bonnies for lunch - full tourist mode.

Quote Originally Posted by EWG View Post
    Hey all,

All paid parking in town is also free on Sundays.

I haven’t been parking at the Highlands lot in the mornings but my sense is that Fri and Mon would likely have available parking till 9:30-10ish unless there’s a big snow or a race. Weekends, probably best to aim for 8:30.

The mask mandate on buses now excludes buffs, so it’s a little better for the 5-10min ride.

Great stuff Alpine. It is tough when the kids are still really young to get out and ski with the wife.

Really a shame about Highlands lately, but yes, race days really put a cramp in the parking. Ski Co REALLY should remove Highlands from Ikon....and expand the parking lot at Buttermilk (if possible). In a dream world...we would have a larger Tiehack lot and a gondi between there and base of Highlands...and Pandora would get the green light. ;-)
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

Quote Originally Posted by gretch6364 View Post
    Great stuff Alpine. It is tough when the kids are still really young to get out and ski with the wife.

Really a shame about Highlands lately, but yes, race days really put a cramp in the parking. Ski Co REALLY should remove Highlands from Ikon....and expand the parking lot at Buttermilk (if possible). In a dream world...we would have a larger Tiehack lot and a gondi between there and base of Highlands...and Pandora would get the green light. ;-)
    They don't own most of the parking at Buttermilk. The County does. When it is non pandemic time, brush creek to whatever mountain you want is really, really easy and convenient.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by alpinevibes View Post
    I skied Ajax 9-3 yesterday with my wife, great day on the right aspects. Had some all-time runs on Jackpot; great snow quality in wind-sheltered S1 and Christmas Tree.

Name:	Image1614010308.768006.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	1.17 MB 
ID:	364323

Name:	Image1614010334.821530.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	331.6 KB 
ID:	364324

Name:	Image1614010349.889694.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	199.4 KB 
ID:	364325

Name:	Image1614010369.659239.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	267.7 KB 
ID:	364326

We cashed in a free day of babysitting and had our first full ski day together in a few years. I reserved a $50 igloo at Bonnies for lunch - full tourist mode.

All paid parking in town is also free on Sundays.

I haven’t been parking at the Highlands lot in the mornings but my sense is that Fri and Mon would likely have available parking till 9:30-10ish unless there’s a big snow or a race. Weekends, probably best to aim for 8:30.

The mask mandate on buses now excludes buffs, so it’s a little better for the 5-10min ride.

This is all good advice.

Great pics, Alpine!

Really a shame about Highlands lately, but yes, race days really put a cramp in the parking. Ski Co REALLY should remove Highlands from Ikon.... ;-)

Highlands upgrade is the best thing to ever happen to Aspen Mountain. The only problem, they didn’t extend Cloud Nine down to the base of the old Poma, at Memory Lane. Thus Exhibition is the only way to the upper lifts.

Highlands upgrade is the best thing to ever happen to Aspen Mountain. The only problem, they didn’t extend Cloud Nine down to the base of the old Poma, at Memory Lane. Thus Exhibition is the only way to the upper lifts.
    I have never had to wait tooooooo long at Exhibition, but man is it a long lift ride over blue groomers. Makes lunch laps there a bit tougher.

GR...agree on your point about Brush Creek, but quick question for you....Saturday morning last season when you were dropping the kiddos off at Snowmass, were you parking at Brush Creek and taking the bus with everyone or Two Creeks? I honestly don't know the answer to that question...but it is enough work with two kids and parking at the base...lol

I have to be honest with myself, after utilizing the garage this season when we are doing the AVSC thing at Snowmass, I am just not sure I will go back to rodeo and buses with two kids. When by myself..sure, but there is something to be said for parking at the base of a hill and walking up and skiing..and I still think it would be cool to have Buttermilk and Highlands connected via a lift!

Could do the tiehack to highlands base gondola with the base being a mid-point drop off, then run the gondola up to Cloud 9...lol. Obviously, none of this will ever happen...but I think it would be cool. All the locals parking at Tiehack for lunch laps could have access to laps at Highlands.

Find a Snowmass resident that will get you an upper lot only pass for $40.
    Only good in lots 10-13, but that’s where you want to park.
    All numbered lots and the Divide, are free after 1.
    I park at the Divide anytime I want to avoid the Base Village chaos..

How much is a Two Creeks parking pass this year?

I have never had to wait tooooooo long at Exhibition, but man is it a long lift ride over blue groomers. Makes lunch laps there a bit tougher.

GR...agree on your point about Brush Creek, but quick question for you....Saturday morning last season when you were dropping the kiddos off at Snowmass, were you parking at Brush Creek and taking the bus with everyone or Two Creeks? I honestly don't know the answer to that question...but it is enough work with two kids and parking at the base...lol

I have to be honest with myself, after utilizing the garage this season when we are doing the AVSC thing at Snowmass, I am just not sure I will go back to rodeo and buses with two kids. When by myself..sure, but there is something to be said for parking at the base of a hill and walking up and skiing..and I still think it would be cool to have Buttermilk and Highlands connected via a lift!

Could do the tiehack to highlands base gondola with the base being a mid-point drop off, then run the gondola up to Cloud 9...lol. Obviously, none of this will ever happen...but I think it would be cool. All the locals parking at Tiehack for lunch laps could have access to laps at Highlands.
    4 park for free at Two Creeks. Kaia's AVSC started there, Bodhi took the AVSC bus from Two Creeks to Base Village.

Parking at Tiehack has been scarce for lunch laps the last two seasons.. I obviously haven't been since new years this year though
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by whipski View Post
    They used to have a page for that, I can't find it right now.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com

Quote Originally Posted by whipski View Post
    I think the sign on the booth said $300 last time I was there
    well, in the three years i've been skiing i bet i can ski most anything those 'pro's' i listed can, probably

Is (or was) there a separate Two Creeks pass?
    They didn’t offer the Highlands/Two Creeks pass this year.

Sunday morning at Tiehack was pretty decent. I'm pretty over the Highlands crowds/parking and would rather have fun with the wife on more mellow terrain. Probably should try to ski Ajax more. Thanks for the beta about the 2 hr parking above -- that's great to know coming from Carbondale.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Quote Originally Posted by dcpnz View Post
    Is (or was) there a separate Two Creeks pass?
    They didn’t offer the Highlands/Two Creeks pass this year.
    When I asked at the window, they said the two creeks is a separate pass from the Snowmass garage.

Yeah it was deep but a little heavier/more cohesive overall - what would be considered pretty blower in the PNW. But 100% the best kind of snow to get our base and coverage moving in the right direction. Ajax skied really well, especially E and N facing. The late opening was a bummer, but it never felt busy once we were on-mountain. Supposedly the delay was do to some bros who had snowmobiled up top, skied terrain before 9am and set off some slides, leading ASP to do a full sweep(?)

The delay at 1A led to some bizzare line drama. I got to 1A at 9 and there were already 200-300 people snaked up the hill - by far the most people I've ever seen at 1A.

Attachment 361246

Around 9:40 they started to load the chairs and then the confusing snake of a "line" deteriorated. The green folks were in front, snaking up to the edge of Norway, the line then came back down past the corral (yellow) and turned back toward the liftline, banking over toward Norway and dropping down the middle (orange) - the end of the line. The red line also built up as people came over from Nell Chair. As the green group started to move, a group from the orange section, near Norway, start to follow the green, immediately eliciting boos and yelling from the rest of the line. Eventually the main orange group realigned properly but 15-20 from the orange section kept cutting and coming downhill. A few guys marched up from the yellow group and tried to talk to and stop the defiant bunch, but they didn't relent and kept coming down, despite being yelled at and cut off by many of us in the yellow section. Very bizarre. The main guy getting yelled at ended up on the chair behind us and doubled-down by getting on 1A solo, much to the chagrin of the crowd. No friends on a powder day...

Attachment 361247
    A sweet, sweet public call-out from PaddyO - https://www.skimag.com/culture/why-s...es-powder-day/

You can do nearly anything in a ski town, all sorts of nefarious and morally questionable activities, and get away with it. You can flirt with your best friend’s significant other. You can sleep with you boss’ mom. You can “forget” about your bar tab, drop in on someone’s line, no show your work shift, fart in an overcrowded gondola cabin—any number of grotesque public behaviors the general population deems unethical buffoonery are permissible in a ski town. But you cannot cut in line on a powder day, ever. Period.
    I have since seen the man in the Turquoise jacket around. Black BMW with cali plates - fits the bill.

A sweet, sweet public call-out from PaddyO - https://www.skimag.com/culture/why-s...es-powder-day/

I have since seen the man in the Turquoise jacket around. Black BMW with cali plates - fits the bill.
    I was going to post that up today. I got a few chuckles.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com

I was going to post that up today. I got a few chuckles. I haven't been up valley in a while.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com

Love this. I wasn't quick enough to throw a snowball but had fun booing him

On a completely off topic note - anybody have recommendations for a trusted (toyota) mechanic around here? I'm in Carbondale but happy to go to anywhere in the valley or further if need be. Just looking to get some brake work done on a first gen Tacoma and don't know who to go to. I'm not really into DIY'ing brake stuff and figure Bighorn will be 30-50% more expensive unless that's the best option