Page 51 of 53 FirstFirst ... 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 LastLast
Results 1,251 to 1,275 of 1301
    Skico is going to re-plant 15 trees on Basalt Mountain for every 1 that is cut down in Pandora's.

Quote Originally Posted by gretch6364 View Post
    https://www.aspentimes.com/opinion/j...-pandoras-box/

The glading for Pandora's is what is keeping John up at night? lol

Also, what light pollution is going to be caused by the Pandora expansion? A porch light on the new patrol shack? More groomers? So many better places for him to direct is outrage...
    some people hate 2 things:
    -change
    -the way things are

'i've lived in this area 43 years'
    (sigh)
    north bound horse.

Everyone here introduces themselves with how long they've been here...
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    Everyone in every ski town introduces themselves with how long they've been here...
    Fixed it for you.

Got to have the LOCAL ski town all stars hat.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    Got to have the LOCAL ski town all stars hat.
    My joke during introductions is I've been here 15 years which means I'm 1/2 to having my local's club card.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.

My joke during introductions is I've been here 15 years which means I'm 1/2 to having my local's club card.
    Love it. I've asked people if they have their card yet.
    what card
    your locals card
    ha!

but yeah, that's the other part: after introduction with years, they gotta ask you your years. it's like, d*ckwaving of tenure. or something.
    north bound horse.

In terms of no-joke card ownership - I saw Claus at Whole Foods last week, cruising around no mask. No judgement on that (though I roll masked at 1/3 his age), but just another notch in his belt at 101.

Quote Originally Posted by alpinevibes View Post
    In terms of no-joke card ownership - I saw Claus at Whole Foods last week, cruising around no mask. No judgement on that (though I roll masked at 1/3 his age), but just another notch in his belt at 101.
    Just saw him at Bella Mia.....happy as can be waiving his local card in the air. Looked over at me and just said.....73 years bitch, what you got?
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

Interesting read, but nothing new as the contuined saga of the Chalet and the "bums" gets trotted out for symbolism: https://www.outsideonline.com/cultur...-book-excerpt/

I'd be curious to read the book and see what her larger scope is, but the general direction of this excerpt doesn't really hit for me. We all know and generally agree that money/developers/rich people "ruin" paradise and we generally support and pine for the nostalgia of ski bums being able to still exist. Unfortunately, Aspen isn't (and hasn't been) the place for that to happen for some time.

I've partied at the Chalet, know a few of the guys as acquaintances and I do love the fact that they're still there. But stepping beyond the Aspen bubble and the first world problem of ski bumming in 2021: Aspen has a more resources and protections for working locals that no other resort communities have. We may be the tip of the spear for resort inequality, cost of living and displacement, but we also have the most progressive policies to attempt to balance those changes, even in small ways. No offence to the longtime Chalet dudes, but they've had 10+ years to be entering lotteries (with long work histories) and secure something cheap and permanent.

Interesting read, but nothing new as the contuined saga of the Chalet and the "bums" gets trotted out for symbolism: https://www.outsideonline.com/cultur...-book-excerpt/

I'd be curious to read the book and see what her larger scope is, but the general direction of this excerpt doesn't really hit for me. We all know and generally agree that money/developers/rich people "ruin" paradise and we generally support and pine for the nostalgia of ski bums being able to still exist. Unfortunately, Aspen isn't (and hasn't been) the place for that to happen for some time.

I've partied at the Chalet, know a few of the guys as acquaintances and I do love the fact that they're still there. But stepping beyond the Aspen bubble and the first world problem of ski bumming in 2021: Aspen has a more resources and protections for working locals that no other resort communities have. We may be the tip of the spear for resort inequality, cost of living and displacement, but we also have the most progressive policies to attempt to balance those changes, even in small ways. No offence to the longtime Chalet dudes, but they've had 10+ years to be entering lotteries (with long work histories) and secure something cheap and permanent.
    I think you actually made a few of the larger points.

I'm lucky to call a few of those guys my friend and partied there a bunch over the years. The Chalet isn't just what it is/was the last 15 or so years, it's what it represents as the culture as it dates back to the 60s. It's one of the few direct lines one gets to draw.

And, to use your point, even with the policies in place, we still didn't end up with a proposal that honored the living history that is sitting at the bottom of 1A... Minus Shredhead grilling brats... but that's a different story
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com

I have a requests to visit Colorado in early to mid January, so there's a chance my son and I will carve through Aspen some Monday-Wednesday interval if we can find decent lodging.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    I have a requests to visit Colorado in early to mid January, so there's a chance my son and I will carve through Aspen some Monday-Wednesday interval if we can find decent lodging.
    Keep an eye out on the weather and don't commit to one resort if at all possible. January is historically the driest month of the winter....being able to swing south or north for the best snow would be wise IMHO
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

Interesting read, but nothing new as the contuined saga of the Chalet and the "bums" gets trotted out for symbolism.
    Ha. It really is remarkable how many times the same thing has been written about the Skier's Chalet and crew. They are pretty unique though, not many "ski bums" are living on a property worth 20+ million bucks.

Keep an eye out on the weather and don't commit to one resort if at all possible. January is historically the driest month of the winter....being able to swing south or north for the best snow would be wise IMHO
    Thanks, we will be lurking down south mostly with a potential to slice up RFV way should the whim arise. Son has never been there.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

I think you actually made a few of the larger points.

I'm lucky to call a few of those guys my friend and partied there a bunch over the years. The Chalet isn't just what it is/was the last 15 or so years, it's what it represents as the culture as it dates back to the 60s. It's one of the few direct lines one gets to draw.

And, to use your point, even with the policies in place, we still didn't end up with a proposal that honored the living history that is sitting at the bottom of 1A... Minus Shredhead grilling brats... but that's a different story
    Curious - have you read the book and does she lean towards a less "woe-is-the-ski-bum" perspective?

The 1A outcome was unideal, no doubt, but the museum will hopefully be a strong and lasting memorial to the last 80 years, despite sitting beneath a sea of glass and imported stone.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    Kawwpy that, I'll sneak out for a few!

Quote Originally Posted by JaytaeMoney View Post
    Ha. It really is remarkable how many times the same thing has been written about the Skier's Chalet and crew. They are pretty unique though, not many "ski bums" are living on a property worth 20+ million bucks.
    Totally agree with this.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com

Curious - have you read the book and does she lean towards a less "woe-is-the-ski-bum" perspective?

The 1A outcome was unideal, no doubt, but the museum will hopefully be a strong and lasting memorial to the last 80 years, despite sitting beneath a sea of glass and imported stone.

Kawwpy that, I'll sneak out for a few!
    I was going to gift it to someone for Christmas... to where I get to borrow it a few months later

Although, it was much more general, overview-y not in the weeds as I expected when I saw the asks for contacts a few years ago and the pitch I saw for it.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com

2020/21 Aspen/Roaring Fork Thread

Hopefully they get to stay ten more years. Earliest groundbreaking for Gorsuch Haus is spring 2023 and I’ll be surprised if that happens.

I’m totally agains the project. Lots of moving parts, with with multiple developers, that are both assholes.

My biggest fear has always been, we end up with a big hole in the ground and no lift.

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    Hopefully they get to stay ten more years. Earliest groundbreaking for Gorsuch Haus is spring 2023 and I’ll be surprised if that happens.

I’m totally agains the project. Lots of moving parts, with with multiple developers, that are both assholes.

My biggest fear has always been, we end up with a big hole in the ground and no lift.
    Let's pray that doesn't happen. Crazy that 1A was only won by 26 votes.

Today is the big vote for Pandora. That is one I am definitely behind. I just hope the commissioners stick with their straw vote. It is something that unlike 1A, doesn't come with a bunch more hotel capacity and doesn't fuck up town.

Pandora passed…woot woot

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Pandora passed…woot woot

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Not sad, despite "the trees"

With that in the rearview, hopefully SkiCo can clean up the AMSP drama and get the ship ready to sail next week!

Not sad, despite "the trees"

With that in the rearview, hopefully SkiCo can clean up the AMSP drama and get the ship ready to sail next week!
    I haven't asked anyone about that yet as I assumed they figured it out already... We'll be out of town for Thanksgiving but look forward to skiing soon, as I just got the go ahead to start skiing from the surgeon.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com

I haven't asked anyone about that yet as I assumed they figured it out already... We'll be out of town for Thanksgiving but look forward to skiing soon, as I just got the go ahead to start skiing from the surgeon.
    They have a solution, but from the rumors I've heard, it's far from properly/professionally/respectfully resolved.

Same here, headed out with the fam and bikes to Monticello tomorrow for a few nights, then down to Sedona for a 5 nights.

Congrats on getting cleared for sport!

First really good night of snowmaking on Nell’s .

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0921.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	1.48 MB 
ID:	393509

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0919.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	1.73 MB 
ID:	393510

Looks like we might be lapping Ajax Express for a while.