Page 26 of 53 FirstFirst ... 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ... LastLast

2020/21 Aspen/Roaring Fork Thread

Oh yeah...as dcpnz mentioned...there are some key things that make hiking the bowl more comfortable. I always have sun glasses and light gloves in my pack.

My first year living here I hiked the bowl a handful of times in my goggles and my cheeks broke out pretty bad from the sweat in my goggles. My hands also run really hot, so sweat up my gloves bad. But the wind is too much for much of the season for no gloves.

I tend to leave my shell on but unzip everything...and I am bald as shit, but a hat is too warm, so I leave my helmet on with the vents open.

Man...you see some shit on that hike...glad you could grab them...there are definitely a couple spots early in the year where it’s just rocks and people are in ski boots and going off that back side to the right would not be fun...haha

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

Quote Originally Posted by alpinevibes View Post
    I told Kaplan just that when I saw him hiking the bowl a few weeks back. He seemed fully on board to never bring it back; his biggest concern was snow compaction early season for the cat track, but that hasn’t been an issue.

AHSP doesn’t want the cat either. Best to weed out the beaters and summit selfie types by removing the Disneyland beginning.
    Well I'm a beater and was there a few years ago. I took the cat and then hiked to the top and made it down in one piece and I gotta say it was the most awesome skiing run of my life. To look at pictures and see that I skied down that is major stoke for me, and I'm sure it is for all of the beaters, if that is what you call people who aren't fortunate enough to be able to ski awesome terrain often like you guys are accustomed to. No hard feelings as I certainly understand your perspective, just a different point of view. Planning to be back there next year as my trip this year was canceled.

Quote Originally Posted by JongDoe View Post
    Well I'm a beater and was there a few years ago. I took the cat and then hiked to the top and made it down in one piece and I gotta say it was the most awesome skiing run of my life. To look at pictures and see that I skied down that is major stoke for me, and I'm sure it is for all of the beaters, if that is what you call people who aren't fortunate enough to be able to ski awesome terrain often like you guys are accustomed to. No hard feelings as I certainly understand your perspective, just a different point of view. Planning to be back there next year as my trip this year was canceled.
    Awesome stuff. Reality is, as much as we complain about the tourist...the terrain would not be there without them (at least in bounds).

Bring a pack, sun glasses and light gloves for the hike...hahaha

"We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

The cat is a tough one.
    I greatly prefer it not running and almost never ride it but it is certainly a novelty for many visitors - many ride it just to drop upper Hyde or Mushroom. There are certainly a few folks who ride it and then get in over their heads in the bowl though.

[mention]JongDoe[/mention] Glad you had a great time and remember it fondly. Please come back, we’re not as salty in real life as we seem here sometimes.
    I think it’s important to get a reality check every now and then of how fricken cool that terrain is that we get to ski all the time because its really easy to start taking it for granted.

With regards to 82 and driving in general,

It is standard that anyone who drives slower than you is an idiot.

And anyone who drives faster is a maniac.

Your results won't vary.

jummo

The 4 year old approved of the conditions this morning.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2654.JPG 
Views:	56 
Size:	717.5 KB 
ID:	367559

Nice man!!

You commuting down here again yet?

www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

I guess if given the choice I prefer to not ski with my pack, but maybe I’ll give it a go the next time I hike the bowl.

Quote Originally Posted by funkendrenchman View Post
    The 4 year old approved of the conditions this morning.

Name:	IMG_2654.JPG 
Size:	717.5 KB 
ID:	367559
    Hell yeah. Time for poles?

Quote Originally Posted by JaytaeMoney View Post
    Great couple of days! Sun did a number on us this afternoon. It's officially spring.
    Crazy how quick it heated up this afternoon. Did a Willys lap after work and it was full on mashed potatoes halfway down
    Quote Originally Posted by other grskier View Post
    well, in the three years i've been skiing i bet i can ski most anything those 'pro's' i listed can, probably

It’s too bad the sun came out yesterday, because it’s already snowing again!

I need a little rest, so I’m just ripping the powderoy at Snowmass today.

No cat definitely cuts down on the gapper factor. But there’s no way I’ll ever get seven laps without it again.

6pm close at Highlands tomorrow might be fun. I love the late day sun on No Name-Upper Stein-Powder Bowl.

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    Nice man!!

You commuting down here again yet?

Haha not yet. Hopefully when I do, it’ll only be a day or two. I’ve gotten used to the wfh schedule.

Didn't manage to get out for first chair as planned, but Ajax at 11:30 was still incredible and sunny. Finally gave 1A Liftline a proper Tof Henry descent. Hidden Treasure, Nose, Niagra - all in top form. Rolled the dice on Cone 2 around Noon and had half wonderful, half cooked pow ski down; I figured it was my last best chance for Cones this season.

Quote Originally Posted by One (+) Sentence View Post

I’m always surprised by how many people I see using packs or those sling things to carry skis while hiking the bowl.
    It's definitely grown more and more, and AHSP has a very solid stream of strap buyers for the boxes of webbing they've got stuffed into PHQ. I'm very much a shoulder guy - keep it simple. No changing, no helmet off, just hike and ski. I have a bowl strap, but I've never been able to arrange it to be any more comfortable then my shoulder, nor worth the hassle. I'm not a big fan of skiing with a pack in bounds either. I'm at around 500 laps on the bowl, I love it and its a special place. It's pushed and evolved my skiing and always represents a personal experience to engage with.

Quote Originally Posted by JongDoe View Post
    A beater you are not, nor is a beater just someone who doesn't live/ski here. You came here with intention and understanding; beaters are a particular, small subset that ends up on the Bowl. Here's my morning, overly opinionated Bowl beater rant:

For me, a beater is someone whose motivation for skiing the bowl is not about the skiiing, but rather the modern check-it-off-the-bucket-list mentality of chasing "experiences." Someone who doesn't realize/accept that the act of hiking/skiing the Bowl still requires a ~45min hike and double black descent at 12,700.' While that's not inherently gNaR, the decision does require skill/ability beyond the average resort skier. I think the baseline reality of that decision making process is easily overlooked, and more so when there's a diesel cat to ferry you partway or "halfway" up.

A beater is someone who doesn't accept personal responsibility for the choice they're making to go up there and then creates a situation for other skiers and AHSP: the 30y/o blue square skier I encountered two years ago, wallowing in waist deep snow, looking for his skis by the Be One patrol cache. He'd "let a stranger carry his skis to the top because he was struggling early on." He said it took him 90min to hike to the top and the stranger was gone, with his skis. Patrol mess.

A beater is someone who hasn't taken a minute to understand their gear or prepare for the 45-90min hike they're about to undertake at 12,000' - the regularly seen adults with skis hitting their boots as they only wrapped the bowl strap twice around their skis.

A beater is someone who chooses to hike and exist in a narrow, arguably dangerous area without regard for other people around them - collapsing in/over the bootpack, swinging poles back into peoples faces...

A beater is the 2nd year instructor who "doesn't ski Highlands" but agrees to bring his "clients" up the Bowl (which he's never skied), while he knows they don't ski off groomers and that he's out of his depth.

And lastly, a beater is the grown ass man hiking the bowl in hiking boots in March, boots clicked into his 167 Volkl RTMs on his Gregory day hiking pack. Summit fever, baby.

I wear my bc vest days I know I'm hiking. I don't mind shouldering either.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by One (+) Sentence View Post
    I guess if given the choice I prefer to not ski with my pack, but maybe I’ll give it a go the next time I hike the bowl.
    I hate skiing with a pack and also can't stand hiking with my skis shouldered. Hiking up Highlands should be almost as enjoyable as the ski down. Stop into the patrol shack on the top of Highlands and buy a strap for your pocket. They are $15 I think and patrol will give you a quick lesson on how to use it.

I bought a vest this year because I hate packs so much on the lifts. Really haven't used it yet though.

For those that hate skiing with a pack...I was much the same, especially my old one with all the straps, etc. I have been running the Mystery Ranch D-Route the last couple seasons and really like it. It is very svelte with very few straps, especially down low. It compresses really thin as well for on the lift.

I honestly use it in two situations:

1. I am skiing with the whole family. I put snacks for the gondi and a water bottle in it. We get the kids dressed at the car, wife starts walking with the 5 and 3 yo while carrying their skis. I put her skis on my pack after I get dressed and carry mine and catch up to them. I can actually carry all four pairs of skis pretty easily...which, if you have two toddlers at one time (and I have taken them both skiing without my wife a good number of times) definitely happens. Or after apres kids don't want their gloves on, or helmet back on, etc. Having somewhere to put it all for the slog back to the car at the end of the day when they are tired is 100% worth having the pack everytime...haha

2. When hiking the bowl, I carry sunglasses, thin gloves and a small bottle of water.

If I am skiing alone at Ajax or Snowmass, I don't wear it.

https://www.mysteryranch.com/d-route-pack

Just incase someone is looking for a pack that won't tangle on the lift and get caught, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by gretch6364 View Post

1. I am skiing with the whole family. I put snacks for the gondi and a water bottle in it. We get the kids dressed at the car, wife starts walking with the 5 and 3 yo while carrying their skis. I put her skis on my pack after I get dressed and carry mine and catch up to them. I can actually carry all four pairs of skis pretty easily...which, if you have two toddlers at one time (and I have taken them both skiing without my wife a good number of times) definitely happens. Or after apres kids don't want their gloves on, or helmet back on, etc. Having somewhere to put it all for the slog back to the car at the end of the day when they are tired is 100% worth having the pack everytime...haha
    No doubt. Pack life has begun and will be very real, very soon:

Name:	Image1615913245.379617.jpg 
Size:	183.9 KB 
ID:	367616

Name:	Image1615913290.042248.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	248.9 KB 
ID:	367617

Awesome stuff Alpine. Gotta just enjoy it for what it is. There will be good days and bad...you will miss some powder days, but it goes so fast. Mine have skied at least one day every weekend of the season so far except two and have been excited to go everyday we have been out.

Quote Originally Posted by alpinevibes View Post
    And lastly, a beater is the grown ass man hiking the bowl in hiking boots in March, boots clicked into his 167 Volkl RTMs on his Gregory day hiking pack. Summit fever, baby.
    Nope, this is some galaxy brain shit right here. That guy should run for president.

Great couple days in the RFV for these frangers. Beat the storm with an easy drive out Friday evening. Had a sunny cruiser day at Ajax on Saturday and tracked down a few shrines
    Name:  Jerry.jpg
Views: 617
Size:  195.7 KB

Experiences the road carnage on Sunday am

Name:	Crash.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	247.6 KB 
ID:	367642

Then had some great storm skiing

Name:	Jax.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	64.8 KB 
ID:	367643

Followed by some great snow and visibility on Monday which allowed my 13 year old to do his first backflip

Name:	Evan_backflip.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	247.0 KB 
ID:	367644

Quote Originally Posted by dcpnz View Post
    The cat is a tough one.
    I greatly prefer it not running and almost never ride it but it is certainly a novelty for many visitors - many ride it just to drop upper Hyde or Mushroom. There are certainly a few folks who ride it and then get in over their heads in the bowl though.
    it's been a few years since I have spent much time in the bowl, but as I remember it on busier days, the cat often seemed to lure the lazy suckers into waiting in line for a cat for longer than it would take them to just walk the same distance, actually slowing down the traffic up the bowl.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________
    "We don't need predator control, we need whiner control. Anyone who complains that "the gummint oughta do sumpin" about the wolves and coyotes should be darted, caged, and released in a more suitable habitat for them, like the middle of Manhattan." - Spats

"I'm constantly doing things I can't do. Thats how I get to do them." - Pablo Picasso

Cisco and his wife are fragile idiots who breed morons.

Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    it's been a few years since I have spent much time in the bowl, but as I remember it on busier days, the cat often seemed to lure the lazy suckers into waiting in line for a cat for longer than it would take them to just walk the same distance, actually slowing down the traffic up the bowl.
    Yup. I've not done the bowl a whole lot, but I've *never* taken the cat due to lines being longer than the time it takes to boot to where the cat drops off.

Quote Originally Posted by gretch6364 View Post
    For those that hate skiing with a pack...I was much the same, especially my old one with all the straps, etc. I have been running the Mystery Ranch D-Route the last couple seasons and really like it. It is very svelte with very few straps, especially down low. It compresses really thin as well for on the lift.

I honestly use it in two situations:

2. When hiking the bowl, I carry sunglasses, thin gloves and a small bottle of water.

If I am skiing alone at Ajax or Snowmass, I don't wear it.

https://www.mysteryranch.com/d-route-pack

Just incase someone is looking for a pack that won't tangle on the lift and get caught, etc.
    I have a nice pack (ArcTeryx Quintic) but I’m basically a resort rat. Obviously, if I need my shovel and probe I wear it. Just vastly prefer to not have it on, especially if I’m visiting another area (like Highlands) and plan on skiing in bounds all day long with only 1 or 2 bowl laps. I rarely wear a pack mountain biking anymore as well.

My 71 year old mother in law always offers me one of those sling things when we visit and I can tell she’s not sure why I politely decline. But, she has skied Aspen twice a week since she moved there in 1970 so I don’t say shit to her. I hope to be that dialed when I’m her age.

Edit: I’m on board with the sunglasses while hiking though!

Quote Originally Posted by rudy View Post
    Followed by some great snow and visibility on Monday which allowed my 13 year old to do his first backflip

Name:	Evan_backflip.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	247.0 KB 
ID:	367644
    Nice! Over the next couple of years he will graduate from kid jumping off shit to missile. It’s cool, but it ain’t good for your heart.

Nice pics of all the families!

I almost always wear a pack in the bowl, because I want to have my BC gear.
    Saw Dav and crew heading out last week, but wasn’t quite feeling it.
    It alway better, to be prepared.

Got all excited this morning, when it was already snowing at 5am. Kind of fizzled.
    Trace at 8:30 and maybe 2” at 12.
    Then it cleared. Socked in now, but not expecting much.

High north, cruisers and shady was good. Low and sunny was death crust.