Page 4 of 53 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

2020/21 Aspen/Roaring Fork Thread

Got three lunch laps in today on the Silver Queen. With the overcast skies and icy conditions, it reminded me of skiing back east. Fingers crossed for the coming snow! It’s time.

I am sure it’s old news for most here...but being able to live, work and ski lunch laps during the week aim Aspen is a serious life goal checked off for me.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Last edited by gretch6364; 12-10-2020 at 06:44 PM.
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    All the love to the RF crew, particularly shredhead & DoctorVibes; thanks for the company.
    Let it snow. The covidz blow.
    Thanks Buster. We had planned on pointing the EuroSled north to the 206 for a week after Christmas, but scrapped that. Both sets of parents weren’t keen on us rolling in, even with tests and we weren’t psyched about 4 days of winter driving with 15mo olds...

Soon enough all will be back to semi-normal

Quote Originally Posted by alpinevibes View Post
    Thanks Buster. We had planned on pointing the EuroSled north to the 206 for a week after Christmas, but scrapped that. Both sets of parents weren’t keen on us rolling in, even with tests and we weren’t psyched about 4 days of winter driving with 15mo olds...

Soon enough all will be back to semi-normal

We likely would have passed on I-82 in the night, but given the covidz spike, the likelihood of us heading down that way has waned. Sucks because kids can be remote, so we could have stayed for a while.

I'm still planning on March, but that depends on the contagion; if it's still up, we'll have to scrap that too.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by gretch6364 View Post

I am sure it’s old news for most here...but being able to live, work and ski lunch laps during the week aim Aspen is a serious life goal checked off for me.

Nice one! I'm more of the 2:30 to close shift. I like to drink beer immediately after skiing.

Ya know, without a bit of thread drift and some occasional friction, this place would be as stale as Grandma's farts.

I miss Mr. # Key

What blows my mind in these mountain valley's of ours is the shared collective think that if you are doing something healthy or clean, like just living at altitude, or going for a ride or a skin, you are automatically immune and can just come back and sit around a couple high tops with 15 people no masks and think you are somehow a better human being. The virtuosity is toxic, because if you are fit and everyone listens to the dead, you can bring your kids and all your friends into a bar and you have some magical immunity. And then comment on the weak who got it and are out of jobs or are coughing and bitching from quarantine. Pure hypocrisy. Such is mountain towns. But if you drove your cross trek or your van from the front range and went for a stroll on the bike path, you gambled, you died, your fault.

Really shows you the colors of people. I've attempted to talk down 5 people who have asked me whether they should cancel their Christmas plans and I point out that that is exactly why infection rates are up and they are fucking moronic and could kill their families, and they are like, well, I'm super healthy, I don't see the problem. FACEPALM. It is truly bassackwards up here, and our infection rates prove it.

Hope to come to RFV in spring. Cancelled my December trip with my kid. Stay safe!

Not a huge storm by any means but it's nice to see some snow on the ground. 2-3" on my deck in SMV so hopefully more up high
    Last edited by JaytaeMoney; 12-11-2020 at 02:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JaytaeMoney View Post
    Not a huge storm by any means but it's nice to see some snow on the ground. 2-3" on my deck in SMW so hopefully more up high
    Powder day. Lining up at the gondola.

Skinned up Buttermilk last night. Nice to have a little fresh!

Quote Originally Posted by JaytaeMoney View Post
    Not a huge storm by any means but it's nice to see some snow on the ground. 2-3" on my deck in SMW so hopefully more up high
    Nearly 10" now. Bring it! Ready for more terrain and more mountains.
    Last edited by funkendrenchman; 12-11-2020 at 05:48 PM.

And If

You're Feelin' Good,

About Ten Inches Of

New Snow On The Top Of Ajax

Will Make You Feel Great.

"We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

Overproduction, you love to see it!

Quote Originally Posted by 54-46 View Post
    Hope to come to RFV in spring. Cancelled my December trip with my kid. Stay safe!
    Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    All the love to the RF crew, particularly shredhead & DoctorVibes; thanks for the company.
    Let it snow. The covidz blow.
    You guys and your elegance. Well done.

I'm a bit rough around the edges and I think out loud too much, but after reading up on the numbers and trends all over out west we are about 95% canceled as well. SLC has a 26% positivity. Completely out of hand.

And I wish we didn't have to pull our hair out worrying about getting a test. I'd test myself twice a week if it were free and easy. It's a failure of big government. And when small government does the right thing to try to control the spike , like Pitkin county is doing, they get spanked with cancelations. The small guys get hurt.

We have another shot for a trip in late March and for Aspen in early April. Not that anyone cares.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by uglymoney View Post

We have another shot for a trip in late March and for Aspen in early April. Not that anyone cares.
    Good heart, ug.
    Same here; sucks all around. But maybe we'll cross paths in March/April.

Been way too long Buster.

Wonderful skiing on Ajax yesterday. Gotta love those early season rope drops.

Quote Originally Posted by uglymoney View Post

I'm a bit rough around the edges and I think out loud too much, but after reading up on the numbers and trends all over out west we are about 95% canceled as well. SLC has a 26% positivity. Completely out of hand.

That’s the positivity rate for the state, not SLC.

See my post regarding the Provo strip mall dance parties.

This morning was better then expected at Ajax. Very soft and Bluebird.

I skied 2-3pm yesterday and it was pretty cut up; didn’t expect much today. The 4” that came after 4pm swung above its weight

I had a great day!

But Perry’s slid in multiple exposures.
    Once they open Walshes, please be careful in the side/backcountry!

Anyone been skinning at Highlands? Conditions?
    I french kissed Kelly Kapowski.

Quote Originally Posted by FiveLarge View Post
    Anyone been skinning at Highlands? Conditions?
    Prior to this weekends snow, the skiing lower down (Park Avenue down to Jerome) was really thin and rough. Sounds like above Lower Stein and up was good.

I can only assume with another 10" that everything's a little more agreeable now. Sounds like opening on Friday

Quote Originally Posted by alpinevibes View Post
    Prior to this weekends snow, the skiing lower down (Park Avenue down to Jerome) was really thin and rough. Sounds like above Lower Stein and up was good.

I can only assume with another 10" that everything's a little more agreeable now. Sounds like opening on Friday
    I have not heard anything about bootpacking...obviously, we have not had any snow to do it, but will they start working on the bowl this week?

Hopefully we get a good cycle going here and DT is skiing decent for Christmas.

I'm sure they have been packing lately. I don't personally know anyone who is doing it this year but they threw up the usual October post on highlandspatrol.com and said the boot packing program would be business as usual for the most part this season.

Let's hope so because a bowl lap this weekend sounds very appetizing.

Quote Originally Posted by gretch6364 View Post
    I have not heard anything about bootpacking...obviously, we have not had any snow to do it, but will they start working on the bowl this week?

Hopefully we get a good cycle going here and DT is skiing decent for Christmas.
    They've been packing for a couple weeks. They were cutting and booting Ozone on Wed/Thurs last week.

They've had challenges with getting enough packers because of CoVid protocols. Because of that Skico, for the first time, is offering to pay other SkiCo employees to bootpack