Page 37 of 53 FirstFirst ... 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 ... LastLast
    These last few weeks remind me of springs of yore... when it would always precipitate on time and just enough.

I'll take it. I'm going from snow this morning to close to 90*F this weekend in Moab... yay.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Agreed. Dumping most of the day here on Castle Creek.

I got out on Smuggler/BTS/Sunnyside for the first real ride on my new bike on Saturday. Very fun to be back on the carbon steed, but I'll happily give up some riding if Earth wants to keep soaking precip all spring.

2020/21 Aspen/Roaring Fork Thread

Somebody left a pair of Salomons w/Kingpins at the bottom of Coffee Pot.
    I left them, but I’ll be back early tomorrow, if anyone wants me to grab them.

North Rim, 7* and Sky Mt. open Sunday.
    There’s moisture forecast and if you time it right, they’ll be the best they’ll be, all year.

Name:  bear visitor.jpg
Views: 1260
Size:  177.6 KB

This big boy came to visit this week in Glenwood. He moseyed off when I shooed him away.

Any runoff predictions? Its been so low and slow so far. It seems like this time last year runoff was winding down, but it feels like it hasn't even started yet this year. Lots of snow up high still.

Just back from a trip to Lindley and Green-Wilson, with 3 nights at each. It was an outstanding trip.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20210512_135832051.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	1.60 MB 
ID:	374585

Quote Originally Posted by knumbskull View Post

Any runoff predictions? Its been so low and slow so far. It seems like this time last year runoff was winding down, but it feels like it hasn't even started yet this year. Lots of snow up high still.
    Seems like the prediction is the dry ground from the fall will soak a huge chunk of it up. Ruedi is predicted not to fill this year.
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

Quote Originally Posted by cravenmorhead View Post
    Just back from a trip to Lindley and Green-Wilson, with 3 nights at each. It was an outstanding trip.

Looks nice!

Last year we had more snow. But after the 3/15 closure, it got real warm, dry and peaked early.
    This year’s been more spread out, but I think we’re at about the same level of snow, as of 5/15.

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    These last few weeks remind me of springs of yore... when it would always precipitate on time and just enough.

I'll take it. I'm going from snow this morning to close to 90*F this weekend in Moab... yay.
    See you out there. We will be up Kane creek. Ledges area. Look for orange 2 stroke dirtbikes.

Quote Originally Posted by cravenmorhead View Post

Yeah bud! Pretty good May refresh early last week.

We skied Mace on Mother’s Day before the storm came. First non-road “tour” with the boys

Name:	Image1621178496.675092.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	706.9 KB 
ID:	374747

Nice! We got some shots in on Mace during the storm since it allowed for some window shopping even in low visibility. I skied something to the NW of the summit that was fun.

Any recs for some reasonably navigable spots to tour this weekend? I'd love to get on skis again and thinking/hoping this recent round of weather will have stabilized into some nice corn cycles by then. I'm happy doing an early start and a long day but don't need to ski anything super gnar. Sopris is an easy choice since I stare at it every day and have done it already this season but the base is lower elevation so it could be a long hike before hitting any snow
    Quote Originally Posted by other grskier View Post
    well, in the three years i've been skiing i bet i can ski most anything those 'pro's' i listed can, probably

Two of our spring tours have been very easy access:

Mace - you can almost drive to snow and ski Ear Bowl or walk/hike west up the road to ski the bowl/chutes that direction
    Shimer - quick bike+hike up the pass to Weller Lake and then you're on snow

Quote Originally Posted by alpinevibes View Post
    Two of our spring tours have been very easy access:

Mace - you can almost drive to snow and ski Ear Bowl or walk/hike west up the road to ski the bowl/chutes that direction
    Shimer - quick bike+hike up the pass to Weller Lake and then you're on snow
    Sweet thanks - both of those look fun. What's the rough time estimate from car to top for each of those so we can ensure we get an early enough start?
    well, in the three years i've been skiing i bet i can ski most anything those 'pro's' i listed can, probably

Mace - Skinning Ear bowl from the footbridge would take ~50min to get up high, another 20min more to get up on the ridge if you want to ski steeper stuff (12,000'). I would figure ~75min from the bridge (10,000') to get up on top of the bowl (12,000') at the West end of Mace and another ~20min to get up on the summit ridge to ski the chutes (12,500'). You can drive a Subaru to the footbridge at this point.

Shimer - we left the closure gate (8,600') at 6:40, walking to Weller bridge (9,300'), then skinned from the bridge at Weller up and topped out (12,300') at 10:15. Biking up to Weller bridge, then walking up to the lake (9,600') would probably be a little faster comparatively.

Rudy and I have been skinning up Coffee Pot/Showcase.

Name:	IMG_0563.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	1.56 MB 
ID:	375021

Heads up for locals that like to travel around Aspen in summer... SkiCo is replacing the haul rope for the gondola. Summer Road access will likely be via 1A.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

FWIW, the haul rope replacement was completed about a week ago, according to the guy who did the work.

Who's a good bootfitter in the valley for a heat mold and some minor grinding/punch work? Not really looking for a crazy in depth job since I already have custom orthotics and I'm just upgrading to a newer model of the boots I've been in for a long time, but I'm confident there are a few spots I'll need some shell work done

Quote Originally Posted by Wes Mantooth View Post
    Who's a good bootfitter in the valley for a heat mold and some minor grinding/punch work? Not really looking for a crazy in depth job since I already have custom orthotics and I'm just upgrading to a newer model of the boots I've been in for a long time, but I'm confident there are a few spots I'll need some shell work done
    I've been using Jim at Bootech in Highlands for the last 3 pairs of boots and he's been awesome, but I have no idea what his summer schedule is.
    "They don't think it be like it is, but it do."

Quote Originally Posted by Joey Joe Joe Junior Shabadoo View Post
    I've been using Jim at Bootech in Highlands for the last 3 pairs of boots and he's been awesome, but I have no idea what his summer schedule is.
    His name keeps popping up it seems like he is extremely knowledgeable. Is it possible to just get minor fitting work done there or is it a whole custom shebang? Looks like he charges close to $100 for an initial foot profile. I'm all for investing in well fitting boots but I'm not too picky about micro adjustments with shims and stuff like that

Quote Originally Posted by Wes Mantooth View Post
    His name keeps popping up it seems like he is extremely knowledgeable. Is it possible to just get minor fitting work done there or is it a whole custom shebang? Looks like he charges close to $100 for an initial foot profile. I'm all for investing in well fitting boots but I'm not too picky about micro adjustments with shims and stuff like that
    My wife got me the full assessment many years ago when I first went but since then I just bring in my old boots, we talk about new models that I should try and then sometimes I get the boots through him if he has them or order them on my own and just pay him for the molding and any adjustments needed on the new boots. I think he does adjustments and molding without the whole assessment but you would have to call to be sure.
    "They don't think it be like it is, but it do."

Jim Lindsay (Highlands) and Jack Rafferty (Snowmass) are the local hot shot bootfitters. For the work you're describing I'd probably just go to Surefoot.

Quote Originally Posted by JaytaeMoney View Post
    Jim Lindsay (Highlands) and Jack Rafferty (Snowmass) are the local hot shot bootfitters. For the work you're describing I'd probably just go to Surefoot.
    Jack operates out of Aspen Sports right? I've done some Surefoot adjustments in the past and it's been okay I just inherently don't trust them based on knowing a bunch of people who have worked at Surefoots and have essentially zero bootfitting knowledge or experience. But I guess heating the liners and grinding out a bit of the fifth toe isn't rocket surgery

I've had one of the guys, Steve?, above Butcher's Block ( http://www.aspenorthotics.com/background.html ) do some minor work in the past. Easy, knowledgeable and about $50 for heat molding and some pads and tweaks. I'm intent on getting to Jim or Jack for my next pair of boots, but those guys were great for quick fixes.

Quote Originally Posted by alpinevibes View Post
    I've had one of the guys, Steve?.
    Centofanti.

All three are good.
    Jim occasionally posts here and would probably be my first choice.