Blue Ice Akila Axe

It's pretty much a Petzl Gully with a real spike (that's a good thing). Here is a photo with the Akila under the Gully:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20201130_202915927.jpg 
Views:	249 
Size:	1.82 MB 
ID:	350503

Side by side:

Name:	PXL_20201130_202935864.jpg 
Views:	354 
Size:	1.58 MB 
ID:	350504

Akila pick is a bit longer and a tiny bit steeper.

Petzl pick weights fit the Akila (and Gully) well:

Name:	PXL_20201130_203204279.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	920.7 KB 
ID:	350505

-The Petzl pommel is a little more comfy for me with a longer flat area befor it ramps up.

-The oval Petzl shaft is probably a bit more comfortable in dagger of hammer position than the slightly angular Akila.

-The textured grip on the Akila (it is nothing like the ridiculous sandpaper on that Camp axe) works a bit better than the ribs on the Gully.

-The plastic that covers the area where the pick attaches to the shaft is a better fit on the Petzl.

-The Akila weighs more because of the spike and longer pick.

-The shape is different (a bigger depression between pick and adze/hammer on the Akila), but both are comfortable in both self belay and self arrest grip (unlike, say, the Petzl Sumtec which is uncomfortable with self-arrest grip).

I'd say the Petzl is a bit more refined, but all these differences are pretty small. The Akila seems like a nice option. One of each makes sense to me if you ever carry two light tools, as having one with a real spike is nice, as is saving as much weight as possible. When I need these things it's usually for a short crux. It sure beats choosing between heavy Quarks an old school Raven.

great little mini review, thanks man

i've been digging the blue ice stuff for a few years now, i think they make fantastic kit. i really like their packs and harnesses. i've yet to pull the trigger on one of their ice tools but they seem very well thought out.