Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Which jackets have massive hoods

Got a big head. Size L/XL Helmet. Old flylow Higgins had a pretty big hood that worked well for me. I upgraded to a quantum, and somehow now it’s way too small. It covers my helmet and I can zip it all the way up but can’t really move my head around and it’s too tight against my face. I’m 5’9 165 but wear a large. I like a longer fit especially in the back. Only interested in shells. Any info on what companies make hoods big enough to fit my head while not having a super short euro fit?

My newer Higgins is smaller as well.

Freeride Systems and Arc'teryx have the best helmet hood design around.

Freeride systems...

^+2

Just chiming in to say I am annoyed when a high end jacket has a shitty hood when it comes to helmet compatibility. How can this be a thing? It’s a ski jacket and ~everyone wears a helmet. Right??!!

My Arc’teryx, freeride systems and Flylow pieces have great hoods. Patagonia is a fucking fail at hoods.
    Uno mas

Freeride Systems.

Strafe seems pretty good although I’m using a L not an XL helmet.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

BD

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

BD Mission shell has a huge hood. It fits over an XL Smith helmet with ease.

My FlyLow shell has a large hood. Makes it awkward to use when not wearing a helmet.

Any hooded jacket Arc'teryx has ever made features an absolutely massive hood.
    swing your fucking sword.

I will echo BD Mission shell.

My wife has the Arcteryx Alpha AR and I have the Tantalus. Both have great hoods. I also have a Taiga Alpinist Pro which is excellent and half the price especially in US$. Made in Vancouver. They may ship to the States.
    https://www.taigaworks.com/collectio...35402149396645
    Last edited by apex dave; 11-30-2020 at 12:09 PM.

Had a Picture Organic jacket with a huge hood and collar. The torso fit was long and narrow. Both Trew shells I have fit over the helmet iirc.

My ~mid 2010s hood/collar on whatever goretex pro Patagonia shell I have barely zips over my neck, let alone my face or helmet, wtf.

BD Mission shell has an enormous hood. I wear a size S jacket and a size L Smith Maze, and have to cinch the hood down to keep it from blowing off.

Other BD jackets I've tried (softshells and insulated jackets) have had pretty small hoods and necks. More recent jackets (First Light and Alpine Start, can't remember which is which) have at least addressed the neck problem.
    kittyhump.com - Fund Max, Cat Appreciation, Bike

Where full grown men pretend to be cowboys
    My L Orage Spire shell fits great over my L/XL Sweet Switcher helmet.

Black Diamond Mission jacket fits a helmet nicely.
    It's a thoughtfully designed jacket, too.

Interesting, I saw this thread but didnt pay much attention, but I do have a large noggin. Yesterday was my first day on snow this season, and I am trying out a new jacket (a used Helly Hansen I bought on gear swap) and the helmet wasn't really big enough, it was kind of constricting. So maybe I need to pay attention to this as I search for an insulated resort jacket!
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Doremite View Post
    Just chiming in to say I am annoyed when a high end jacket has a shitty hood when it comes to helmet compatibility. How can this be a thing? It’s a ski jacket and ~everyone wears a helmet. Right??!!

My Arc’teryx, freeride systems and Flylow pieces have great hoods. Patagonia is a fucking fail at hoods.
    I don’t shop for new jackets without a helmet in-hand and use the generous return policies when online shopping.

It only gets worse when buying kid gear. There isn’t a single jacket I have ever found for a kid with a hood that fits an FIS stickered helmet. Volcom comes the closest. It must come to market demand where most people buying “ski coats” aren’t really skiing, and those who are, are probably not riding in a PNW storm with every variety of precipitation possible. I was most bummed to see even dedicated ski/ride brands who are less “lifestyle” orientated not keep pace. Offering a kid’s jacket with all the goodies and in Goretex, only to have a tiny hood just doesn’t make sense; to me at least. I gave up and just bought the boys ponchos for storm weather.

Speaking to adults, I have a Patagonia shell that is marginal, Trew Cosmic could be a bit bigger in the neck cuff (I have a thick and short neck) but works and is probably just right for normal people, Armada Vcter series Goretex has a generous hood and neck cuff and also has a longer cut through the body than all my other jackets, and finally my TNF pro jacket has a generous cut too.

My wife’s Columbia Titanium jacket has a good sized hood that is also detachable.

Freeride Systems Antero II Plus has a giant sized hood and Arcteryx Sabre LT has a big hood and extra length for covering the bum

Quote Originally Posted by Doremite View Post

Patagonia is a fucking fail at hoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by Self Jupiter View Post
    My ~mid 2010s hood/collar on whatever goretex pro Patagonia shell I have barely zips over my neck, let alone my face or helmet, wtf.
    So, while I continue to poke around for an insulated resort jacket, I was on Patagucci's website today. This is a picture that they have on their website, a picture that (presumably) is supposed to show how well their hood works.

WTF? Looking at that, it is totally obvious that the hood is way too small and that guy will not able to easily turn his head.
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Sucks to hear the flylow Higgins changed design. This has been my favorite jacket for resort skiing. Hood is so dialed for use with a helmet.

That Patagonia dude couldn’t open his mouth wide enough for a snack or turn and talk on the lift

Strafe nomad

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    So, while I continue to poke around for an insulated resort jacket...
    not sure if it's too warm for you, but you should buy the jacket I'm selling

https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...mo-Down-Jacket

Quote Originally Posted by skuff View Post
    not sure if it's too warm for you, but you should buy the jacket I'm selling

https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...mo-Down-Jacket
    It's probably not too warm, though I will admit the idea of an actual down coat for an activity that might lead to sweating does make me wonder. But I did look at it when you posted, the reality is that jacket is WAY too expensive for me. Not saying your price is wrong, I get that the jacket's MSRP is more than twice what you're asking, but my budget is much smaller.

And then today I found out that Patagucci hoods might not work well for my oversized noggin, lol.