Billy Goat version thoughts

So I have the 2014 186 version.

Name:  Image1606663801.220208.jpg
Views: 1233
Size:  134.8 KB

I also tried the 184 assymetrical version.
    I did not like the 2cm less tail and pow performance seemed diminished. So I am curious what others think. I never tried the one year version of shorter tail but no assym. Guess it was short lived? I get that ski designs progress but look how pat is getting praxis runs on iconic skis and how people want the OG lotus 120.

My 2014 is still going strong but if it ever dies I won’t be able to get another. Bring back the 2014! Unless....

Would Scott make a limited run if we got 25? Or do others just like the newer version more? I also think it’s more of the general population wanting a more friendly groomer ski maybe.

So not saying new version is a bad ski, I just prefer the OG. My 186 is fine in the groomers and that’s not what it is for anyways.

So I wondered this morning and pondered while drinking my coffee. Version one is too pow specific maybe if there is such a thing. Well I skied powder boards and almost did the splits so maybe there is such a thing. But that was at a resort.

For billy goat version three/four is too groomer specific and version two is just right IMO.

So tell me I’m wrong or tell me I’m right. Or ponder something else.....

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

PB's aren't one truck pony. Just gotta stand on 'em and ski the center. You must've tried driving tips and engaged the rev sidecut, which is no bueño.
    I have no thoughts on BG models as I've only skied SG's(and I'm still working through the too edgy factory tune)

Try some 189’s?

Too groomer specific? BGs? I am guessing that you mean not quite as terrible on groomers as the older versions, but with a stronger overall flex to be even better in variable. I dunno, but for me the current flex patterns and layups of BGs and C&Ds makes a ton of sense as is imho.

Is what you are really wanting just a longer, slightly softer BG? Perhaps a 189 in the old tour layup or 50/50 is what you are seeking? Or the current gen C&D? Or perhaps a shorter SGs (aka a little bit less tail splay and slightly wider)? Iggy mentioned shorter SGs as a potential offering at some point, though I guess Covid put that project on hold for now. Though, seeing as SGs are usually stiffer than BGs, SG is probably the exact opposite of the direction you are wanting your BGs to be.

I dunno, but it seems like the ski you want is already on offer from ON3P via the custom option - even if going no-asym isn't an option as far as I know.

The 2cm lost comes from the twintip part of the tail, it’s literally not touching snow.
    Unless you’re tail gunning hard, the sidecut length / effective edge is literally the exact same.
    That year is a bit softer than the ski now, but just order a custom softer ski, detune the tail extra and you are good to go.

Quote Originally Posted by greasyslope View Post
    Try some 189’s?
    Ding!

Having skied 186 09/10, 186 11/12, 186 12/13, 184 16/17 and 184 17/18 I like the 12/13 the best and I still own it. My take is that the 12/13 is the softest of the RES versions and that suits me the best being 5´8 137 lbs. I didn´t care too much for the later versions and felt the 12/13 186 cm was way easier to ski, but maybe I should have just gotten on the 179 lengths of the newer ones instead.

I’m with you. I have the same ski in 191 from 13/14. I’ve tried to replace it a dozen times, and I always fail. That included a custom 189 stock. I liked that ski. Preferred the 191 anywhere but firm snow.

It’s superior in pow because it’s a little softer, IMO. Enough weight and backbone to truck (no speed limit still), but just not the need to ski fast AF in the fall line the 189 have. Maybe it allows for more bad habits from a hack like me? I Dunno. But I’d rather be on it. I could see doing 50/50 for a softer rounder more forgiving flex in a 189. Giving that a shot as a shift setup...

But the 12/13-15/16 billy goat is still king to me.
    wait!!!! waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...Wait!
    Zoolander wasn't a documentary?

^^You've skied my stiffer than stock 12/13 191 Goats. Thoughts? I don't think it's the stiffness but rather the shape that makes it superior in pow. But I haven't spent enough time on a newer pair to know that for sure.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

You can order softer milled cores from ON3P now(not a layup change).
    No need to change core type.

Have only skied older BGs, 1st years of RES I believe. It was a good pow ski but not my favorite. I would never ever ever even consider buying a asymmetrical ski. I don’t care how good it skis. There’s plenty of rocks out there and not being able to change which foot ski is on is just plain stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by altacoup View Post
    Have only skied older BGs, 1st years of RES I believe. It was a good pow ski but not my favorite. I would never ever ever even consider buying a asymmetrical ski. I don’t care how good it skis. There’s plenty of rocks out there and not being able to change which foot ski is on is just plain stupid.
    I hit a shitload of rocks, especially on my BGs and two seasons I haven't had any complaints. They are built tough. I had that concern before buying but it soon passed. If they were built like a lot of major ski brands, I would be concerned, but not w/ ON3Ps

I think mine are 16/`17's, I traded Wrens for them. Love em. Favorite skis, even on some hardback days.

I feel ya.

Skied the 11/12 191's up until a couple years back, when I got the 189 asymmetrical.

I still haven't decided which I like better, which is why I still have the 191's leaning against a wall.

Definitely different skis (although base to base the outline is within a mm), 17/18 model stock stiffness is quite a bit stiffer then the 11/12's. The newer is much better charging crud, tracked snow, but like you said, for me it's about which ski ski's more fun in freshy tree runs. Still have some great very vivid memories on the 191's. I've had a few of those on the 189's as well

I'm need to take both up on the same day.

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    ^^You've skied my stiffer than stock 12/13 191 Goats. Thoughts? I don't think it's the stiffness but rather the shape that makes it superior in pow. But I haven't spent enough time on a newer pair to know that for sure.
    Probably some of column A and column B here. I’d love to ski them back to back now instead of skiing them back to back with skevik antons.

OF COURSE stiff AF billy goats charge balls deep pow better than that ski.

Been awhile, but I think your stiff wood grains and the newer asyms feel REALLY similar.

But the comparison is tough because I haven’t skied your goats in 7 years.

Have the 2014 BG as well , but the Tour Edition and love the skis , is hard to find comparable and in any kind of powder they are like being in cheat mode . Good luck in the search and report back on what you decide

Quote Originally Posted by SupreChicken View Post
    Probably some of column A and column B here. I’d love to ski them back to back now instead of skiing them back to back with skevik antons.

OF COURSE stiff AF billy goats charge balls deep pow better than that ski.

Been awhile, but I think your stiff wood grains and the newer asyms feel REALLY similar.

But the comparison is tough because I haven’t skied your goats in 7 years.
    Good to know!
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Billy Goat version thoughts

Good info here, I really need to get on the 12-15!

Been daily driving the current gen for 2.5 years and they slay untracked, recycled, set up, wet snow of all varieties. The only thing they suck in is ice/hard piste. It the piste gets corned up and slushy they come alive again!

Last edited by SkiLyft; 11-29-2020 at 08:51 PM.

Been a minute since we had a billy goat thread

bearclawz4lyfe

Pretty impressed so far with the 108 tours.

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    Pretty impressed so far with the 108 tours.
    Tell us moarrrrssss

Been waiting to hear from you!!

Skied every version of the BG from the original 186 to my current 189 asym version. The new 189 is hands down the most versatile one. It’s really the only one that has any real hard snow capabilities imo. The asymmetrical is a game changer in tight pnw trees, and I notice no lost performance to any of the 191 versions. Current pair has well over 100 days and zero sign of top sheet chipping or breaking down structurally. Get the new ones

I fell that gen flex and shape are dialed. It’s just stock and standard. One of the best IMO with protest and kusala. So those are the top three and two are out of production. That gen of BG anyways. It trucks and has great pop and groomers are like 7.5.

Bring back the OG!

I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)