Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 29
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Marquette MI
    Posts
    2,113

    I don't know what touring skis to get

    6'0" 165 in street clothes.

    Looking for a dedicated touring ski. Kingpins, so weight conscious but not getting ridiculous. Ski all sorts of terrain and all types of snow, not an uber confident BC skiier, so rarely charging, but sometimes ski big lines at low to medium speed.
    Ski pretty hard in bounds though 75-100 days per year.

    Bought Vision 108s in 178 last year and HATED them. Never thought I was a powerful skier until I was folding the tips back on those things. They were somewhat fun in blower pow though, but in variable snow they were completely unreliable.

    Before that QST 106 in 186, thought they felt too stiff for me, couldn't move them around fast enough in the tight stuff, put them on resort duty and they're fun.

    I really like my 2015 Line Sick day 110s, but they're boat anchors, quick turning, stable at the speeds I typically ski BC (wouldn't mind more speed stability).

    I'm all over the place, and the more I read the further I get from a solution. Who has some reqs?
    The whole human race is de evolving; it is due to birth control, smart people use birth control, and stupid people keep pooping out more stupid babies.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Cackalacky
    Posts
    1,505
    chetlers
    In the room the women come and go
    Talking of Michelangelo

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    2,644
    Longer Vision 108s...


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Golden, CO
    Posts
    163
    Hoji? One of the few skis I've been on that is fun on low angle stuff while also being stable enough to get into some more serious terrain. Really like mine as an all around touring stick. Does well in weird and difficult snow too, never feels hooky.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Hell Track
    Posts
    10,050
    I'm a fan of the deathwish tour. Decently pivoty for tight stuff. Stiff enough to go semi fast. Fat enough to float fine, but not atrocious in non-perfect snow. It's clearly soft snow oriented though.

    But there are a bazillion touring skis these days. Seems like we'd need more info to narrow it down.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    4,410
    Some red ones; maybe Voiles...

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Posts
    381
    Ferox.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    715
    Countdowns.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Posts
    73
    I would say the Black Crows Ferox Freebird could be a solid choice or the Elan Ripstick 105. The Armada Tracer 108 would be a good option too. Or the Renoun Citadel 106.

    From what I'm reading the Tracer might be your best match.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    148
    Why the hell did you buy 178 at your height, do you ski blade inbounds as well?

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Marquette MI
    Posts
    2,113
    Quote Originally Posted by madriverfreeride View Post
    Why the hell did you buy 178 at your height, do you ski blade inbounds as well?
    I don't want to talk about it.. I knew I had F'ed up the minute they showed up at the door.
    The whole human race is de evolving; it is due to birth control, smart people use birth control, and stupid people keep pooping out more stupid babies.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Bonedale
    Posts
    5,251
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukonrider View Post
    Before that QST 106 in 186, thought they felt too stiff for me, couldn't move them around fast enough in the tight stuff, put them on resort duty and they're fun.
    What changed about resort vs touring? Is it the terrain/snow? Are your legs less tired riding chairs? Are your inbounds boots significantly better? Is it a mental thing?

    What boots are you using?

    We all have our favorite touring skis. Mine tend to be mid 180s in length, 1500g - 1750g, relatively forward mount point, longer turn radius, fairly stiff, decent tip rocker. Zero G 108 (mounted forward), Zero G 105, Woodsman 108 Tour (haven't skied), Deathwish Tour (haven't skied), etc.

    Ski all sorts of terrain and all types of snow, not an uber confident BC skier, so rarely charging, but sometimes ski big lines at low to medium speed.
    Honestly, I'd switch your priorities here and go lighter -- something a bit more of a traditional bc ski while you build up confidence in the backcountry. Something with a low-mid 20s radius and 1500g-1700g weight: BD Helio 105, Zero G 105, Backland 107, Wayback 106, etc. And switch out the Kingpins for a standard <300g tech binding, like the Sally/Atomic MTN, Marker Alpinist, BD Helio 200, or Ski Trab Vario.2. I had the Kingpins on Zero G 108s and switched to a lighter, more traditional tech binding -- I honestly could not tell a difference in the heel when skiing. But I saved almost 500g/ski on the way up, which helped way more than the alpine heel of the Kingpin ever did.

    For reference, I'm 5'11" and 160#. For the last several years, I've been touring on the 185 Zero G 108 with Speed radical toe and speed superlight 2.0 heel (because the superlight toes have some durability concerns and I already had speed radical toes), and Vulcans. Weighs around 4200g/foot (excl skins). On that setup, I can charge about as hard as I want to in the backcountry. I'd say it skis maybe 90% as well as my inbound setup, except in the kind of inbounds conditions you don't encounter while touring (moguls, groomers, etc). Good enough that I don't feel handicapped.

    This season, I've revamped to: 180 Zero G 105, Ski Trab titan toe with same speed superlight heels, and the LaSpo Skorpius boot. Weight drops to around 2800g/foot (excl skins). I'm hoping for 95% of the skiability at ~65% of the weight, which I think will translate to a much better experience overall for me without too much of a compromise. But I haven't skied the new setup yet so take that with a grain of salt.
    Last edited by auvgeek; 11-29-2020 at 09:35 AM.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

    photos

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    YetiMan
    Posts
    12,050
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukonrider View Post
    Ski pretty hard in bounds though 75-100 days per year.
    Inbounds where?

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    my own little world
    Posts
    2,919
    Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    Inbounds where?
    Yeah. Who are you?
    focus.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    西 雅 圖
    Posts
    4,001
    I don't know what touring ski to get, either, but I keep buying them. Pretty damn happy with the Zero G 105, though.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    181
    Iím the same height and weight as you, and absolutely love my Wildcat 108 Tours in 184cm. Super easy to ski, but have a robust enough backbone that they never feel flimsy. I even take mine to the resort sometimes, and never regret it.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Marquette MI
    Posts
    2,113
    Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    Inbounds where?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustonen View Post
    Yeah. Who are you?
    Last year Telluride, year before Crested Butte.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Marquette MI
    Posts
    2,113
    Boots are Chochise 120s probably getting due for replacement.
    Loved the reviews on the Bentchetler 100s, but just a touch narrow maybe?

    I've never skiied the Zero G 105, but it's the only ski in this thread that got mentioned twice...

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    YetiMan
    Posts
    12,050
    That makes a lot more sense.

    You know Mqt...just trying to figure out how you and I could both be skiing here every day and not know each other.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Not Brooklyn
    Posts
    7,098
    I have QST 106s (18/19) and Zero G 105's. The flex is pretty similar. The rocker profile is pretty similar. QSTs have more tip taper. QST's are 400g heavier. I find those 106s very easy to ski. Haven't skied the 105's yet.

    Maybe you want something with a veryloose tail? Of fatter? Why kind of snow/terrain were the QST's not getting it done in?

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Bonedale
    Posts
    5,251
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukonrider View Post
    Boots are Chochise 120s probably getting due for replacement.
    Loved the reviews on the Bentchetler 100s, but just a touch narrow maybe?

    I've never skiied the Zero G 105, but it's the only ski in this thread that got mentioned twice...
    I bet you'd be stoked on Zero G Tour Pro or Atomic Hawx XTD 130 + Zero G 105 + a <300g binder. But it will be lighter than your original post suggested you wanted.

    If you like modern skis with big ole twins, the Deathwish Tour and Wildcat 108 Tour both get rave reviews. But kick turns on steep, icy snow is tougher with a twin. Hence why I recommended a "traditional" touring ski while you gain confidence in the bc. If you ski inbounds 75-100+ days/yr, your skiing ability itself is not what's holding you back in the bc, IMHO.

    Edit: Didn't see ISBD's post before I posted this one. He's asks some good questions, and I think we need some more info to help you out.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

    photos

  22. #22
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Truckee & Sonoma
    Posts
    12,263
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaStoke View Post
    I’m the same height and weight as you, and absolutely love my Wildcat 108 Tours in 184cm. Super easy to ski, but have a robust enough backbone that they never feel flimsy. I even take mine to the resort sometimes, and never regret it.
    Same...

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Marquette MI
    Posts
    2,113
    Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    I have QST 106s (18/19) and Zero G 105's. The flex is pretty similar. The rocker profile is pretty similar. QSTs have more tip taper. QST's are 400g heavier. I find those 106s very easy to ski. Haven't skied the 105's yet.

    Maybe you want something with a veryloose tail? Of fatter? Why kind of snow/terrain were the QST's not getting it done in?
    It could have been me. The QSTs didn't seem to love lower speed tighter turns. Think low angle stuff on heightened avy danger days. They worked in the resort because the speed and the aggression picked up.

    I would say yes to a looser tail, I'm not a very directional skier in the BC.
    The whole human race is de evolving; it is due to birth control, smart people use birth control, and stupid people keep pooping out more stupid babies.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Marquette MI
    Posts
    2,113
    Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    I bet you'd be stoked on Zero G Tour Pro or Atomic Hawx XTD 130 + Zero G 105 + a <300g binder. But it will be lighter than your original post suggested you wanted.

    If you like modern skis with big ole twins, the Deathwish Tour and Wildcat 108 Tour both get rave reviews. But kick turns on steep, icy snow is tougher with a twin. Hence why I recommended a "traditional" touring ski while you gain confidence in the bc. If you ski inbounds 75-100+ days/yr, your skiing ability itself is not what's holding you back in the bc, IMHO.

    Edit: Didn't see ISBD's post before I posted this one. He's asks some good questions, and I think we need some more info to help you out.
    The Wildcat tours have come up a few times, maybe ill take a deeper look into those. I have noticed the drawbacks of the full twin touring, but the full twins do release the tail easier when you need to.

    Maybe ill pick up a used pair of Zero G's and give them a try too. Part of the issue is its hard to get demos of the gear unless you're planning to buy from a shop at full retail, which I try and avoid.
    The whole human race is de evolving; it is due to birth control, smart people use birth control, and stupid people keep pooping out more stupid babies.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    SoOre
    Posts
    706
    Check out the praxis backcountry. Solid ski for a variety of conditions.

    Pinning it using TGR Forums mobile app
    I love my family. Kids are the best.
    http://www.praxisskis.com

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •