Shipping a tiny kid bike

Has anyone shipped a tiny child bike? I've got a 12" Cleary that is destined for my niece.

Do I need to find a really small bike box or will this thing get into a flat rate USPS package or ... ???

My brother in law is a competent wrench, though he's busy and I don't want to inflict a ton of work on him.

SLC to Oakland fwiw.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    LBS probably has smaller bike boxes that other tiny bikes came in. My LBS gives bike boxes away for free. Then try USPS Priority or bikeflights.com

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    LBS probably has smaller bike boxes that other tiny bikes came in. My LBS gives bike boxes away for free. Then try USPS Priority or bikeflights.com
    Thanks. The 12" Cleary is so itty-bitty, but I guess the LBS is a good place to start.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

I'm just spit balling here, but I doubt it needs to be in a bike specific box. The reason for those is to keep total dimensions down and keep the bike relatively safe. In this case, the total dimensions aren't a concern, and neither is damage since it's all so compact. See what you can get away with by only removing the wheels. That said, a regular bike box allow you do it with only removing the front wheel, then stuff with newspaper.
    Definitely worth using one of the BikeFlights/ShipBikes options. As far as I can tell, they don't give a shit if it's even a bike. They're just passing on corporate shipping rates to you.
    However many are in a shit ton.

I think the boxes they ship in are very similar size to boxes TV's come in, if that helps. Or if you have a bigger box you could trim it and use a lot of packing tape.

This bike measures roughly 26" by 14" with the wheels off and is ~15lbs with a box. There is zero reason to consider a bike box of any kind, unless a shop has miniature ones for TINY kids bikes.

Get a largish amazon box (~30x20x10), take the wheels and handlebar off, wrap everything in bubble wrap and send it USPS Parcel Post or Fed Ex Ground for $30-40.