Can someone help me understand why having no metal in skis in harder on the legs?

I always thought having metal in skis was 'harder' on the legs. But after skiing on my new Nordica 104 Enforcers (two metal layers) I bought last year, I have found the exact opposite. My old skis, Blizzard Regulators, have no metal in them, but when I compare them to my Enforcers, my legs don't feel anywhere near as sore after skiing on them. I feel this most when skiing on a steep, mogul run, or compared to lots of powder - the Nordica's just 'feel' easier. Maybe it's my body or style of skiing, but this kind of goes against the common logic that metal is harder on your legs. Can anyone help me understand why this is the case? What am I missing? I'm just trying to understand the technical details of my skis more. Thanks!

I don’t know, that sounds like some N=1, all the skis I’ve had with metal: mothership, katana, rc112, have a different more damp quality m, but def require my legs to be in better shape and/or take more out of my legs on a long days of skiing them. But I guess if you’re looking for an answer maybe it’s because your legs are having to do more of the work absorbing and reacting to the imperfections and microubdulations in the terrain? I don’t know, that’s just a thought? Zero basis in science or evidence
    Do I detect a lot of anger flowing around this place? Kind of like a pubescent volatility, some angst, a lot of I'm-sixteen-and-angry-at-my-father syndrome?

fuck that noise.

gmen.

Actually your initial assumption is wrong

Metal has always been smoother. More damp. And easier on the body.
    . . .

I think it all comes down to how you're skiing them. And most people have their particular style of skiing, which some skis will work better for. If a heavier metal ski suits your style, it'll be easier on your legs.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    I think it all comes down to how you're skiing them. And most people have their particular style of skiing, which some skis will work better for. If a heavier metal ski suits your style, it'll be easier on your legs.
    Agreed—a lot more goes into whether you get along with a ski than just whether it has metal or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There's a lot more that goes into a ski's construction than just metal. Any blanket statements about metal = X or Y are probably wrong.

Metal is mo better cushion for the pushin’. Or better gellin’ for skiing like a felon. Ski tech fags call it “suspension” these days. Crusty mags still use “damp as fuck”. YMMV

A ski with a sheet or two of metal will generally be more damp, but also heavier.

All else being equal, steering the heavier ski is more work.

However, the heavier and more damp ski generally requires way less correction and balance recovery in uneven snow conditions and at speed.

If you're some combination of heavy, aggressive, or skilled, you spend more effort and get more tired from the latter than the former.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

A ski that goes through crud is easier on the legs than a ski that bounces over it, but like everyone else says--the metal isn't the only difference between the two skis. And it's not just the skis that are different. You will never ski the same run twice--it will not be the same snow, and you will not be the same man. (Or something like that I think.)

Metal in skis is overrated, cept racing.
    Rubber and plastic have more affect on damping.

First of all. FLEX PATTERN.
    The enforcers have a softer tail. So they are more forgiving by nature.

Second of all. WEIGHT.
    This is basic Newtonian physics. F=MA. Heavier skis deflect less. Metal is heavy.

Third of all. MATERIALS.
    Dampness comes from two things. Rubber and Resin. They mute feedback from hard surfaces.

Quote Originally Posted by Marshal Olson View Post
    I think this is a bigger factor than metal per se. Softer tip/tail skis generally require way less micro weight adjustments which adds up to much less muscle strain. Metal can do much of the work for you if it jives with your weight and style, but so can other materials if the layup matches your particular needs.

Quote Originally Posted by Marshal Olson View Post

Second of all. WEIGHT.
    This is basic Newtonian physics. F=MA. Heavier skis deflect less. Metal is heavy.

Third of all. MATERIALS.
    Dampness comes from two things. Rubber and Resin. They mute feedback from hard surfaces.
    Dampness actually comes from moisture----just sayin'
    Also plastics, of which, resin is a part of