Frame AT Binding question: marker baron epf 13

Q: about the marker baron epf 13. I'm going to spend 90% of my time resort skiing but am interested in having the option to (rarely) hike to nearby OOB terrain. Will never use these for all day / multi day hikes. Has anyone used the Baron and will it perform well as an Alpine-first binding with a mid-fat like the Rustler 10 or Mantra M5? Thanks -

Yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Thx

With how heavy those bindings are, you should be fine. They are like the Tiger Tanks of the AT binding world.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I have a couple pair that came on used skis, they work perfect for what you describe, I almost always use them with DIN sole boots, be aware they come in 2 sizes, any frame binding will weigh twice as much as a tech binding which doesnt matter ridings lifts
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

thx all

How much do you weigh? If not a big guy, the Tour F10 and F12 work fine (Squire toe and heel) and cut weight for when you do tour. Just avoid the first year version that has rollers in the toe wings.

Follow up question - found a great pair of Liberty Origin 106s w/ Tyrolia Adrenaline 16s - they were originally mounted for a BSL of 317 - I'm a 307. Q: I know the TAs are adjustable so they will "fit" my boot, but I assume will be 0.5 - 1cm forward of the recommended mount point for alpine skiing or am I thinking about this wrong? Thanks, setup looks ideal for my needs but wondering if I will need to remount (finger crossed "no"). Thx

You are right, should only put your.5 forward. If the binding has enough adjustment range, I’d go with it as is,

Gravity always wins...

assuming they were originally mounted on the line, 0.5 should be pretty much unnoticeable, I'd second riff and just ski them as is

Not to drag down the stoke, and you should know those bindings are notorious for developing lateral slop in addition to the very tall stack height. If you are sensitive to either you may consider other options.

Quote Originally Posted by lemonhead View Post
    Not to drag down the stoke, and you should know those bindings are notorious for developing lateral slop in addition to the very tall stack height. If you are sensitive to either you may consider other options.
    Correct me here but doesn’t the slop develop after many many miles in touring mode? I don’t see, looking at the design, how it could “Waller” around and get slop when locked down just skiing on them.

If we're gonna wear uniforms, we should all wear somethin' different!

As always extremely helpful all - thanks. For the price I think I'll take the chance and either remount or part out if bindings are an issue -

Quote Originally Posted by Jong Lafitte View Post
    Correct me here but doesn’t the slop develop after many many miles in touring mode? I don’t see, looking at the design, how it could “Waller” around and get slop when locked down just skiing on them.

Yes the slop comes from touring. Either miles or I have seen in my past days in the shop beginners or experienced folks who have a slip and fall while touring. Any force that is off axis lots of little or one big one seems to do the trick.

neither pair of my barons developed any slop cuz i never use them for touring

Quote Originally Posted by freedydog View Post
    Follow up question - found a great pair of Liberty Origin 106s w/ Tyrolia Adrenaline 16s - they were originally mounted for a BSL of 317 - I'm a 307. Q: I know the TAs are adjustable so they will "fit" my boot, but I assume will be 0.5 - 1cm forward of the recommended mount point for alpine skiing or am I thinking about this wrong? Thanks, setup looks ideal for my needs but wondering if I will need to remount (finger crossed "no"). Thx

you are guilty of reading/nerding out on TGR forum ... just ski the fucking things
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Wouldn't it move him 1cm forward since only the heal moves, or am I overthinking it?
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Wouldn't it move him 1cm forward since only the heal moves, or am I overthinking it?
    10mm difference means 5mm on either side of boot center, so boot center shifts forward by 5mm.

Frame AT Binding question: marker baron epf 13

the boot heel is 1cm forward of the other boot heel, but boot center is only half of that forward of the center line

Right. Ok.
    No longer stuck.

Just an uneducated guess.