Does the traction pad create drag?

I recently installed a traction pad on a new (round pin tail) board and was wondering if the extra drag produced by it could be noticeable, given that something as small as a difference in the fins height is supposed to have an effect on your paddling/surfing speed.

While paddling it is under water and while its on rail it still seems to come in contact with enough water to slow you down, does anyone have some "empirical" evidence for this or has felt it slowing the board down?

Well I think it helps if you don't put it under your board
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

No.

You are over thinking it. You will likely not notice any difference in drag from fin height either. Maybe a pro would.

I surf with rear traction pads on most of my boards. They might slow me down, but if you are having issues, work on your paddling and surfing.

Maybe trim the edges of the traction pad if your worried about it, lessen the edge profile of the pad to lessen any worry of drag?

^^^i would not do that after the pad is already attached. You are just likely to fuck up the adhesive.

It is not going to slow you down enough to make much of a difference.

That said, the pad goes on top of the board and should not wrap around the rails at all. If it does, it is too big (wide) for your board. Buy one that fits your tail shape.

But otherwise, not something to worry about. All sorts of surfers all over the world ride with pads. If they were slowing us down that much, you would hear about it.

By the time you have enough rail in the water to have water dragging across the top of your board

Water on top of your board is already disturbed enough that it's not in pure flow, so the drag of that eddy is negligible.

no drag.

Quote Originally Posted by Flail Chest View Post
    Maybe trim the edges of the traction pad if your worried about it, lessen the edge profile of the pad to lessen any worry of drag?
    Do this, THEN PM rontele for confirmation, since he's the resident hydrodynamic guru here.

Did you buy a northern hemisphere pad by mistake?

I see you are in Chile. Don’t neglect coriolis effect.
    . . .

Good point CS. Which way do the winds blow the water across the pad.

You’re overthinking it. As long as it’s not hanging off the deck you’re fine. Your pad shouldn’t wrap around your rails. The important interface is the rail line and fins.

Your question is a bit like, is your foot creating too much drag. Or your boardies dragging too much while you’re paddling. Don’t sweat it.

R

Maybe if you’re paddling your board upside down

Yes, but only minimal.

Quote Originally Posted by subtle plague View Post
    Well I think it helps if you don't put it under your board
    Bump

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums