Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Grandma's Basement
    Posts
    145

    Attaching BD Glidelite Skin Tails

    Doing some science on a pair of K2 skins I bought, and trying to figure out the proper installation method for the BD Glidelite tails I bought the other day...
    Instructions that came with it seem to be for the STS, while the instructions on BD's website for Glidelite does not cover the tail trimming procedure.

    Basically, my question: Should I wing the cutout patter to match the tail, or is there another location that covers the pattern I should cut out?

    BD's Instructions:
    https://www.blackdiamondequipment.co...n%20IS-WEB.pdf

    Thanks!
    "Poop is funny" - Frank Reynolds

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    715
    ideally it came with a template.
    I was just cleaning up my bench, found a tail kit I keep as a spare, and it has templates.
    I have freehanded this in the past using the metal part as a template- mark the holes, cut inside.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Western MT
    Posts
    2,000
    Doing some science, are you publishing your findings? lol

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    西 雅 圖
    Posts
    3,996
    Quote Originally Posted by rfconroy View Post
    Doing some science on a pair of K2 skins I bought, and trying to figure out the proper installation method for the BD Glidelite tails I bought the other day...
    Instructions that came with it seem to be for the STS, while the instructions on BD's website for Glidelite does not cover the tail trimming procedure.

    Basically, my question: Should I wing the cutout patter to match the tail, or is there another location that covers the pattern I should cut out?

    BD's Instructions:
    https://www.blackdiamondequipment.co...n%20IS-WEB.pdf

    Thanks!
    I usually just freehand it on one side, then stick the trimmed piece glue-to-glue on the other side and match the curve . . . the exact shape isn't so important, just that the ends aren't "squared" off so they peel up when the ski slides back.

    STS is a type of BD tail hardware, Glidelight is a type of plush/backer (as opposed to Ascenscion or Ultra Light) . . .

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Grandma's Basement
    Posts
    145
    Quote Originally Posted by 3PinGrin View Post
    Doing some science, are you publishing your findings? lol

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

    Here's my thesis:

    I was assuming that the line on the tail straps would be the end of the skin, which was not the case and threw me off. Once I figured how it went it made sense.

    However, I have no idea how you would get the Glidelite tails through the little holes, like in the pic below.

    Name:  BD tail.PNG
Views: 348
Size:  133.0 KB

    So I riveted the end pieces with the tail straps in the part. It was a tad tricky but manageable.

    End Result:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	unnamed.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	1.30 MB 
ID:	349979


    Overall process was pretty simple, and a good way to get some use out of some older K2 skins floating around, which are actually just rebranded Pomoca's. I've seen them go for anywhere between $60 (what I paid for these yesterday) - to about $120, and all the ones I've seen online tend to have very little use.
    "Poop is funny" - Frank Reynolds

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    西 雅 圖
    Posts
    3,996
    Nice work. I think the grey ones were Climbing Skins Direct, the green ones Pomoca . . . may have been some overlap, though.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Grandma's Basement
    Posts
    145
    Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    Nice work. I think the grey ones were Climbing Skins Direct, the green ones Pomoca . . . may have been some overlap, though.
    Nope you're right, did some more science on the internet and confirmed. Blue/Grey ones are from CSD, Green are from Pomoca.
    "Poop is funny" - Frank Reynolds

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    between campus and church
    Posts
    7,023
    Just make sure when you put on the clips it snaps on like this:

    Name:  Image1606430696.930355.jpg
Views: 313
Size:  76.3 KB

    Never like this:

    Name:  Image1606430721.517611.jpg
Views: 289
Size:  71.6 KB

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Grandma's Basement
    Posts
    145
    Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    Just make sure when you put on the clips it snaps on like this:

    Never like this:
    "Poop is funny" - Frank Reynolds

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    northern BC
    Posts
    22,206
    You can also turn the clip around on the BD so the strap goes between the ski top and the finger/ so that the strap end points forward,

    so the strap wraps around the end of the ski and the clip holds it on the ski which might make the strap last longer ?

    I have no real info good or bad but that is how i use the tail leash clip
    Last edited by XXX-er; 11-27-2020 at 12:27 PM.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Western MT
    Posts
    2,000
    Quote Originally Posted by rfconroy View Post
    Overall process was pretty simple, and a good way to get some use out of some older K2 skins floating around, which are actually just rebranded Pomoca's. I've seen them go for anywhere between $60 (what I paid for these yesterday) - to about $120, and all the ones I've seen online tend to have very little use.
    Nicely done. I had heard the old green K2 skins gripped well but had horrible drag, are the gray ones better on that front?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •