Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

RIP Diego Maradona

The guy lived hard and played hard. One of the top five all time, so far as I am concerned
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

A great talent
    Too bad the booze and blow got him

RIP
    Football player

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

RIP Diego Maradona

I watched the Argentinian equivalent of sportscenter this evening. All the grown men in tears. There’s really no equivalent in the USA for how revered Maradona is in Argentina. He was basically a living god down there. There will be massive public remembrances for him in the next few days, which will unfortunately cause corona issues. He’s probably top five all time world wide athlete, not just soccer. Jordan, Pele, Maradona those guys are a step way higher in world wide influence and recognition. Paradoxically, his off the field issues are one of the reasons that Argentinians are so obsessed with him. His failings made him seem more human and more people where able to identify with him. He’s from the ghetto and was a more than just an idol for so many poor Argentinians.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by altacoup View Post
    I watched the Argentinian equivalent of sportscenter this evening. All the grown men in tears. There’s really no equivalent in the USA for how revered Maradona is in Argentina. He was basically a living god down there. There will be massive public remembrances for him in the next few days, which will unfortunately cause corona issues. He’s probably top five all time world wide athlete, not just soccer. Jordan, Pele, Maradona those guys are a step way higher in world wide influence and recognition. Paradoxically, his off the field issues are one of the reasons that Argentinians are so obsessed with him. His failings made him seem more human and more people where able to identify with him. He’s from the ghetto and was a more than just an idol for so many poor Argentinians.

Pretty sad Argentina’s only remaining asset was Maradonna.

What will they default on next?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Maradonna died? Shouldn't there be a thread?

Just read he died on the same date as his good friend Fidel

Legend. RIP. 1986, hand of God, Napoli, etc. Amazing finesse (on the field).

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Cono Este View Post
    Pretty sad Argentina’s only remaining asset was Maradonna.

What will they default on next?

Well Lionel Messi is from Argentina. Not a bad choice to pass the torch to.

But for real, Maradona was a legend and to this day kids all over the world (many of whom don’t even know who he is and never watched him play) practice “the Maradona” signature move. Almost as iconic as Pele’s bicycle kick.

Apparently he wasn’t a fan of the USA.
    https://www.yahoo.com/news/diego-mar...142231578.html

Quote Originally Posted by altacoup View Post

I don't think I'd put Jordan in the same category as national hero. The thing about futbol players is that the sport is only way most countries can hope to be best in the world at something. The USA otoh has won so much it has grown tired of winning. Now if the Dream Team played for Ecuador or Zaire . . .

As far as world's greatest athletes--aren't they supposed to be decathletes? OTOH, who can name one? Besides Jim Thorpe. (Decathlon and Pentathlon.)

The only video that really matters. Hand of god? Meh.

His warm up against Bayern Munich in '89 UEFA Cup semi's. He purposely warms up in Munich's corner to agitate fans. Shoes untied. He knows they are all watching him. Opus' 'Live Is Life' comes on the PA and he shows why he was a generational talent.

If the coke didn't screw him up, he might have been the best ever.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    I don't think I'd put Jordan in the same category as national hero. The thing about futbol players is that the sport is only way most countries can hope to be best in the world at something. The USA otoh has won so much it has grown tired of winning. Now if the Dream Team played for Ecuador or Zaire . . .

As far as world's greatest athletes--aren't they supposed to be decathletes? OTOH, who can name one? Besides Jim Thorpe. (Decathlon and Pentathlon.)
    Jordan definitely wasn’t a national hero. I hated that he ruined the blazers best chance at winning a title. I was referring more to international influence. Most Americans sports stars aren’t known at all outside of the USA. Jordan was on the world stage. As far as National hero, not even Pele compared to Maradona. The Argentinian love affair with him is a whole other level.

And I can easily name a decathlete. World record holder Ashton Eaton.

Quote Originally Posted by esseff View Post
    The only video that really matters. Hand of god? Meh.

His warm up against Bayern Munich in '89 UEFA Cup semi's. He purposely warms up in Munich's corner to agitate fans. Shoes untied. He knows they are all watching him. Opus' 'Live Is Life' comes on the PA and he shows why he was a generational talent.

If the coke didn't screw him up, he might have been the best ever.

Thanks for the link! I always thought of Maradona as a fucker. Rooted for England in ‘86 World Cup and the hand goal was a spit in the face. The coke and booze antics were garbage too. But last year I watched a Maradona documentary on a plane (we used to travel?) and it softened me up on him. The dude was a tortured soul. And split between private insecure and sweet Diego and an arrogant asshole Maradona. A bit of a tragic character. RIP

This is a great documentary.

^ yep that’s the one. Good film.

Quote Originally Posted by Lvovsky View Post
    Thanks for the link! I always thought of Maradona as a fucker. Rooted for England in ‘86 World Cup and the hand goal was a spit in the face. The coke and booze antics were garbage too. But last year I watched a Maradona documentary on a plane (we used to travel?) and it softened me up on him. The dude was a tortured soul. And split between private insecure and sweet Diego and an arrogant asshole Maradona. A bit of a tragic character. RIP
    I've always felt that cheating and getting away with it was part of sports, as long as it doesn't involve someone getting hurt (talking to you Sean Payton) or taking drugs. Spitters, deflategate, sign stealing--all fine as long as you don't get caught. Water polo is an entire sport built around cheating. The Hand of God falls squarely in the camp of righteous cheating.

RIP Diego Maradona

He’s was amazing footballer. I was on a Pan Am flight that originated in bA, stopped in Santiago, and was enroute to LA when they won the World Cup. When the pilot announced the win, the plane went nuts.

I don’t fault him for the hand of God, but he was a serial tax cheat, drug abuser, womanizer, dead beat dad, hung with Tyrants, and I’m not surprised the Argentines hold him as some kind of a God.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    I've always felt that cheating and getting away with it was part of sports, as long as it doesn't involve someone getting hurt (talking to you Sean Payton) or taking drugs. Spitters, deflategate, sign stealing--all fine as long as you don't get caught. Water polo is an entire sport built around cheating. The Hand of God falls squarely in the camp of righteous cheating.
    You are not wrong. Cockiness, aggression, “better than anyone” attitudes are part of sport. I just prefer more humble athletes who manage to succeed without being complete douchebags. No one is without faults and fuck ups tho. Gretzky, Messy, Shifrin come to mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Cono Este View Post
    He’s was amazing footballer. I was on a Pan Am flight that originated in bA, stopped in Santiago, and was enroute to LA when they won the World Cup. When the pilot announced the win, the plane went nuts.

I don’t fault him for the hand of God, but he was a serial tax cheat, drug abuser, womanizer, dead beat dad, hung with Tyrants, and I’m not surprised the Argentines hold him as some kind of a God.

I don’t know a lot about Argentines and their character but may be Maradona was a reflection of the nation character: cocky on the outside, insecure in private.

Tyrants? You forgot Napoli mafia bosses...

Quote Originally Posted by esseff View Post
    This is a great documentary.

Funny, I watched this on a plane too. Great movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Lvovsky View Post
    You are not wrong. Cockiness, aggression, “better than anyone” attitudes are part of sport. I just prefer more humble athletes who manage to succeed without being complete douchebags. No one is without faults and fuck ups tho. Gretzky, Messy, Shifrin come to mind.
    You can have Gretsky--I'll pick Howe for my team. I had rink side seats at Olympia a couple of times as a kid. Amazing what Howe could get away with.
    And BTW--IMO flopping doesn't count as acceptable cheating.

Maradona skied in JeansName:  B9oZlgaIMAAojJh.jpeg
Views: 770
Size:  30.7 KB

Sent from my SM-G973F using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by patxi View Post
    Maradona skied in JeansName:  B9oZlgaIMAAojJh.jpeg
Views: 770
Size:  30.7 KB

Sent from my SM-G973F using TGR Forums mobile app
    Ha, that’s amazing. Bringing it home to what really matters. This is TGR after all!

That picture illustrates what an unnatural sport skiing is--that a gifted athlete like Maradona can look so bad on skis. My wife was a national class college gymnast. When we'd go to the pool people would stop swimming to watch her dive. She started skiing as an adult and always looked terrible.