Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thumbs up Christmas 2020 - Honor the 10th Mountain Division and Wounded Warriors

The 10th Mountain Division should not need any introduction to skiers but here is some information to refresh your memory:

10th Mountain Division History by Lou Dawson

https://www.loudawson.com/ski-mounta...ision-history/

* The American Legion in Big Sky is raising money for a statue to honor the division *

We are asking for donations to buy a brand new pair of Icelantic "10th Mountain Division Nomad 105" skis which Mikey B is parting with for the more than generous price of $525.

I have no connection to Mikey B other than being a fellow mag.

Harry will get the skis into the hands of the legion so they can auction them off with all the proceeds to go towards the statue honoring these soldiers.

All funds raised above and beyond these two items will be donated in equal portions to:

Stride Adaptive Sports "Wounded Warrior" Program (east coast)
    https://www.stride.org/

High Fives Foundation (west coast)
    https://highfivesfoundation.org/high-fives-information/

A lot of you have reached out to me already with donation pledges - thank you! But the idea has morphed a bit from the original brainstorming around this and I don't want to assume anything - so please let's start fresh. You can post your donation pledge here or you can PM me.

If anyone needs reassurance that I'm not scamming for Christmas money please PM me and I'm happy to get a longtime mag to vouch for me.

* If a more well known mag wants to take over the collection of money I am happy with that idea as well - that would actually be best for me given my current remote geographical location. *

Maybe we'll run this for a week and then collect funds. I'll post up payment details if no better known mag steps up to tackle that.

Our goal here is to inject some positivity into 2020 as we head into the holidays and also to honor a kick ass group of skiers and warriors - both those who served with the 10th and also those who have been wounded (mentally and/or physically) and are using sports in their efforts to recover.
    Last edited by bennymac; 11-25-2020 at 01:05 AM.

I will start it off with a pledge for $100.

Christmas 2020 - Honor the 10th Mountain Division and Wounded Warriors

To add: I am coordinating with the American Legion in Big Sky, and have already spoken with them about our idea. They are raising money for a statue of a WW2-era 10th Mountain Division soldier to honor the impact those brave soldiers had on the American ski industry. They will use these skis as part of their fundraising.

This is a good cause. Let’s make it happen.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

191cm Icelantic Nomad 105 - 10th Mountain Limited Edition

https://www.icelanticskis.com/produc...-mtn-nomad-105

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1606292709.895903.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	216.2 KB 
ID:	349665
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

I'm in for $100

I'm in on this. How do we make a donation?

Quote Originally Posted by bennymac View Post
    I will start it off with a pledge for $100.
    $100 for me too. PM coming your way. Thanks for herding this together Bennymac! I think we could all use a little positivity right now.

I’m in. Link or whatever to donate?

Christmas 2020 - Honor the 10th Mountain Division and Wounded Warriors

right on

and just to clarify - I bought these skis and decided to not keep them - my plan was to return them but I figured I’d put them up in Gear Swap first - I wasn’t trying to make money, just not lose any

that post inspired bennymac to come up with this - I think it’s a great idea and I’m happy to have bennymac handle the funds and Harry to handle the donation

I’m stoked to see this go this way

I'll post up payment details if no better known mag steps up to tackle that.
    I don't think anyone is concerned with you managing the cash for this Bennymac. This is good shit and lots of good karma should be coming your way!

Last edited by ~mikey b; 11-26-2020 at 11:13 PM.

Bump for a badass group of military veterans!

Also wanted to point out that mags can just donate directly to those charities listed in the original post if that makes it easier - they help wounded veterans heal via skiing and other sports. Similar charities exist in Canada and the UK (probably most countries that mags find themselves in have something similar) - consider including them in your charitable giving plans.

Regardless - the end of the year is always an fitting time to reflect on how good a lot of us have it - and on how rough a year this will be for a lot of families. Consider sharing what you can via whatever charitable avenue speaks to you.

I didn't realize Breckenridge had a 10th Mountain statue...

Name:  COBREmtnsoldier_dehart.jpg
Views: 1630
Size:  11.0 KB

hey thanks to bennymac and folks who have donated already, the skis are a done deal - I'll be sending them off to Harry and the American Legion in Big Sky to help them raise money for a 10th Mountain Division memorial - all further proceeds will go to the Wounded Warrior project and the High Fives Foundation

big ups to bennymac for the idea and Harry for helping us figure this out

Happy Thanksgiving Maggots!

Thanks to Mikey B and Harry for joining in on this and thanks to the mags who have already shown interest - I've pm'd you.

I've sent Mikey the full money to get the skis bounced over to Harry for the auction.

if you still want to contribute to honoring these badass skiers and veterans post here or PM me

the charities listed in OP are also good directions to send donations

or go online via:

charities.org is a good portal for online charity donations in the us

canadahelps.org for canucks

Let's end 2020 with some positive actions to hopefully lead to a better and brighter 2021!

Love the vid, bookmarked to my WWII SKI folder. Great project too. Hats off. My dad started his WWII under Darby who later led the 10th and ended his tour serving with both the 1st and 99th. I've studied their history and belong to a few orgs that actively honor their memory. I was planning to go to Cooper this year. Bummed. A little history FWIW. There were three US Army led ski units in WWII. 10th Mountain Div, 99th Inf Div (Seperate) and the 1st Special Service Force. The three groups trained together at Camp Hale in Colo. The 99th was made up mostly of Norwegians. The 1stSSF recruited from miners, loggers, trappers from the northern US and Canada. The 10th had the most college boys in the enlisted ranks. None of the three groups ever got to use skis on a mission.

Some stoke

A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    ive gots some cash or a pair of white shifts that would look good on that ski
    i probably got an uncut pair of skins too
    lemme know wheres to sends whats
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1325.jpg 
Views:	1207 
Size:	1.08 MB 
ID:	350095Speaking of the ski troops, here's a pair of 7'3' skis made by S. Werner Champlain NY. screw on edges no less.
    Last edited by new yabyum; 11-27-2020 at 06:00 PM.

Apologies to those who have shown interest so far.

I sent the money via paypal to Mikey B via my account (linked to my old hotmail) without issue

But mags who have then tried to send me $ via paypal are getting messages back that I don't have an account at that address - the one I just used yesterday to send the money to Mikey.

I'll investigate and get back to those who have shown interest.

Regardless - the skis have been paid for and are on their way to the auction - the 10th will be honored regardless of paypal's attempts to thwart this! Climb to glory!

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    ive gots some cash or a pair of white shifts that would look good on that ski
    i probably got an uncut pair of skins too
    lemme know wheres to sends whats
    yeah shifts would be great - and skins!

Quote Originally Posted by wooley12 View Post
    Love the vid, bookmarked to my WWII SKI folder. Great project too. Hats off. My dad started his WWII under Darby who later led the 10th and ended his tour serving with both the 1st and 99th. I've studied their history and belong to a few orgs that actively honor their memory. I was planning to go to Cooper this year. Bummed. A little history FWIW. There were three US Army led ski units in WWII. 10th Mountain Div, 99th Inf Div (Seperate) and the 1st Special Service Force. The three groups trained together at Camp Hale in Colo. The 99th was made up mostly of Norwegians. The 1stSSF recruited from miners, loggers, trappers from the northern US and Canada. The 10th had the most college boys in the enlisted ranks. None of the three groups ever got to use skis on a mission.

Some stoke

Hopefully you can make it to Cooper soon. Last year there were only a handful of the 10th Mountain vets still around. Having the opportunity to talk to these guys and try to comprehend what they did is a very special thing and something I hope more people have the chance to do before we lose the remaining few. And there are always Norwegian military at the event recognizing their mountain brothers

Apologies to those who have shown interest so far.

I sent the money via paypal to Mikey B via my account (linked to my old hotmail) without issue

But mags who have then tried to send me $ via paypal are getting messages back that I don't have an account at that address - the one I just used yesterday to send the money to Mikey.

I'll investigate and get back to those who have shown interest.

Regardless - the skis have been paid for and are on their way to the auction - the 10th will be honored regardless of paypal's attempts to thwart this! Climb to glory!
    Let me know when you figure it out Bennymac. I owe you a $100 for this project and will get it to you even if I have to use carrier pigeons to deliver the cash! I really appreciate you making this happen.

I got my paypal sorted out. Thanks everyone for your patience. Vibes to me are appreciated as I face the reality that I'm getting to the age where technology isn't straightforward anymore

If you've already donated thank you!! I appreciate the support of this idea.

----

If you are out there and still interested in donating please PM me.

SFB - if you have equipment (bindings / skins) that would be good for the auction please reach out to Harry! He's got the skis coming his way from Mikey B.

yeah just waiting on an address

Quote Originally Posted by ~mikey b View Post
    yeah just waiting on an address
    Waiting to hear where the American Legion guys want them sent to. Should have it to you today/tomorrow. Turkey weekend + hunting has everyone distracted.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters