Happy Birthday, Jean Nerva

gone too soon
    same with Jake. It's been a year
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vp4uZckpcF4
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	127179252_3585688521489672_5216072767791373909_o.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	552.2 KB 
ID:	349662  
    Bacon tastes good. Pork chops taste goood.

Jake was one of us, not some corporate shill

Jake 1954-2019

november 20th at 65, never forget
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jake.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	96.2 KB 
ID:	349663  

Pimpin ain't easy and Jake Burton was big pimpin. In 1977 snowboarding was synonymous with innertubing (at best) but Jake turned that dirty innertube into his billion dollar trick.

Sure, mistakes were made (cutting Johan and Michi, Quad lace boots, Gwen Staffani collab) but from my intermittent perspective, spanning the decades, 'Burton Snowboards' or Jake employed smart people that made good decisions. Sometimes they weren't diehard snowboarders or even snowboarders but captaining a rudderless ship that big in uncharted waters is gnar and required some different skillsets.

Snowboardings 'board sport' status as opposed to the 'lone- wolf' path windsurfing took is as perplexing as is easy to understand. The windserfs didn't adhere to or value the influence surfing offered despite being surfers themselves.

Did Jake skate? I mean I don't know... I never seen him around at any skate-parks or anything. Luckily Tom Sims did. So while Jake was busy playing chicken with the ski industry, Tom grabbed the wheel and he managed to veer snowboarding towards the path it's been on for decades. Tom's path probably wasn't Jake's first inclination as to where the sport would go, but they both knew it didn't belong with skiing. Plus I'd like to think Jake and Tom hated all the geigh shit skiers wore.

The myriad of paths the sport could've taken is stagering, if (for example) the dude whose name rhymes with Jamie Salter was in 'the zone' at the helm of snowboarding as whole for 40+ years we'd probably all be dead. Jake had a perfect combination of rebelliousness, business savy and drive but it was his ability and willingness to learn, shift, follow, create and guide this burgeoning double-digit-percentage- growth-rate industry with a long-game at play that made snowboarding snowboarding. And he did it with class.

The first time I was face-to-face with Jake he was trying to take a hotdog out of my hand that I was about to throw across a room. It was 1980 something and I was at the US open to start a food fight. That quick interaction with Jake got me thinking how cool he was for putting on an event of that magnitude for a sport of no magnitude, but he didn't stop the food fighting.

I'm convinced Jakes vision was unknowingly (to him) predicated by countless West coast skaters and surfers of whom daydreamed of skating or surfing down mountains. All these once scattered spheres of influence formed what is the vanacular of snowboarding but it needed a hardening agent. Jake and Burton Snowboards obliged. So thanks to Jake it's been 'nothin but net' for snowboarders worldwide since the god damn Reagan administration. Sick

Sent from my SM-G930T using TGR Forums mobile app

Props to mike ranquet for typing that.
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BanTnuEF...d=29po6fb93mnx

Sent from my SM-G930T using TGR Forums mobile app

based on this, heard a great story earlier from a buddy about Noah living in a tent, off I70 back in the day , working at Copper.
    Salas was the real deal, too. so many bruddhas....gone

SIMS FOR LIFE !
    Attached Images Attached Images  

and the fact nobody gives a shit tells me that TGR has taken a nosedive.

I had no idea about Jean Nerva. I rode a 163 asym PJ for a few years (circ saw blade graphic on tail). I loved living and boarding in those years. Getting the new Burton catalogue was like xmas. It (Burton) was in its own league back then. Sims had the skater/surfer vibe where Burton was, well, just snowboarding and such a class act.

Thanks for posting. Again, I had no idea about Jean but this was nice to see to bring me back to some of the best years that I can remember.

Thanks for the thread. PJ7 was my first stick and I had ridden a borrowed Sims before that. Tempus fugit.

i grew up in manchester vt and remember when jake finally convinced a ski resort (stratton) to allow snowboards on the lifts. you had to get approved to ride the lift to the top by proving you could stop when needed on the bunny lift. trying to ride groomers on a wooden board with skegs instead of edges and sorels in a water ski binding was "challenging" to say the least. I am a skier but yeah.....jake was the fucking man

stoked to see some love here.
    I even went thru a Boycott Burton phase. things got weird and corporate.
    Jake was always a real guy despite his frat boy sales guys.
    I was a sims guy for years, more my surfer skater vibe.
    Grew up going fast on 2 planks so I gravitated to the hard boot crew at stowe.
    real deal guys like Bud Keene and Lowell Hart. When ya see guys making fast turns on a snowboard, I was like DAMN I gotta do THAT.
    bought a PJ off a burton rep and it got ganked at Sugarbush.
    Went to Rob at Rossi, sold me a demo 173 Shannon Melheuse purple beast. and so it went.
    still rock burton race plates, no cants

a lil nugget i found today.
    going super fast on deserted groomers is my favorite on a big stiff carving board
    https://forums.alpinesnowboarder.com...comment-507970