PNWet Winter Riding Pants

Anyone use winter riding pants around here? I've just been using leggings and athletic shorts, but I kind of want something more purpose built.

I'm not sure if I should go full waterproof or something else? I'm not even really sure what exists. Wondering what folks around here use.

These held up for years of winter commuting

https://www.gorewear.com/us/en-us/c5..._cycling_pants

the most beautiful place in the whole wide world
    I break these out when weather warrants it. Not fully waterproof but that is impossible anyway. They have waterproof panels on the front. Brushed backing feels not horrible on skin. The articulated fit feels well thought out. Have been using for ugly commutes and trail rides for a few years, holding up well. Showers Pass is a great company, great CS.
    https://www.showerspass.com/collecti...s-skyline-pant

I have Fox Ranger pants that I wear when it’s cold or wet out. It’s a good modern fit / light MTB pant. I avoid riding when it’s full on raining... but I have been tempted to get the Fox Ranger 3L version. My concern would be peddling in a 3L pant seems like more discomfort than it’s worth.

If they made a pant with a modern MTB cut. With a 3L butt, thighs and shins. But left the majority of the paint normal material... with some side zips... that’d be the shit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

I want pants like this as well, but everything has about a 32 or 33 inch inseam. I want 36” inseam.
    I know...
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    If they made a pant with a modern MTB cut. With a 3L butt, thighs and shins. But left the majority of the paint normal material... with some side zips... that’d be the shit.
    I haven't tried them, but in theory this is it: https://www.endurasport.com/c/MT500-.../p/E8074-Black

I bought a pair of the cheap Costco softshell pants that I wear while riding in the winter. It handles wet and cold really well from about 40 degrees down (add layers when needed). I haven't been in a full rain storm in them but I generally feel like I get as wet from sweat inside as I do from slush/rain/snow outside. Cost was like $20 and they are plenty long.

I'm not in the PNW and I do work for the company, but:

PI makes the Launch Trail Pant, which is basically a heavy short material (4-way stretch Cordura) with a permanent water repellent (Last 100+ washes).
    https://www.pearlizumi.com/US/en/sho...ant/p/19112004

I've liked it for cooler Colorado days, especially when riding trails with melting snow.
    Last edited by XtrPickels; 12-09-2020 at 01:34 PM.

Jeans + scotchguard, easy.
    “I really lack the words to compliment myself today.” - Alberto Tomba

The thing is even when it’s not raining, sometimes you are just in a rain cloud and can’t dry off, and it will be below 40, hot on the way up and cold on the way down.

I haven’t bothered trying to keep my legs dry, just warm. Have been riding with leg warmers and clammy on under soft shell pants and it works. Might have to try those showers pass pants though as they look solid for PNW, can still vent heat out the back where they aren’t waterproof.

Same goes with socks, can’t keep feet dry but you can keep them warm. Warm socks with goretex socks on top, under my hi top bike shoes and that does pretty well.

Upper body same thing, I wear a roadie jacket with water resistant shoulder back and chest panels but vented mesh armpit and sides, and multiple wool/polypro/poly fill layers to stay warm while wet.

Buff over the ears helps too.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

+1 on Showers Pass. They make great stuff and are local to PDX. If you are nearby they have a showroom you can check out (at least in non-COVID times). I wear their Transit pants on my short-ish commutes over my regular clothes. Keep me super dry and the ride isn’t long enough to get sweaty.

For longer rides I agree with Schralp. There’s no good way to stay truly dry as you’ll just sweat too much for even the best breathability.

Waterproof socks are a great addition.

Quote Originally Posted by XtrPickels View Post
    I'm not in the PNW and I do work for the company, but:.
    You guys make nice stuff.

They shot one of the catalogs on my front porch late 80’s.

I just can't do pants, too hot on the climbs. Knee pads or knee warmers and some shorts that are at least a little water resistant and some showers pass socks that come about halfway up the calf seems to work really well, even when its 38 and raining.

Quote Originally Posted by XtrPickels View Post
    I'm not in the PNW and I do work for the company, but:

PI makes the Launch Trail Pant
    those look nice, and they're reasonably priced and in stock...? No kidding....
    "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. The winds will blow their freshness into you, and the storms, their energy. Your cares and tensions will drop away like the leaves of Autumn." --John Muir

"welcome to the hacienda, asshole." --s.p.c.

These for me. Well vented, but also have a DWR. Room for pads under.
    https://www.evo.com/pants/giro-havoc

Quote Originally Posted by HAB View Post
    I haven't tried them, but in theory this is it: https://www.endurasport.com/c/MT500-.../p/E8074-Black
    I've got a pair of the Singltrack trousers from them. Not waterproof, but quite comfy, and are good with a little misty conditions and drizzle. Fit and feel is good. Work really well, and you know what weather can be like here. We're not really riding much in the rain, but things can certainly be wet and cold.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

I bought a pair of endura MT500 Spray pants for this winter in the PNW, and I would say they have been just fine, fit and finish is real nice, but as far as their primary objective of being waterproof, eh not really have ridden in both some real rain and just some drizzle and then some just post rain or near rain conditions. And other than the absolutely not raining day, I was pretty soaked through, and even then I wasn’t totally bone dry. They’ll serve my purpose for this year, but almost certainly should have gone with the step up in the MT500 line the actual “waterproof trouser” not just the spray... oh well, might try those or one of the recco’d above
    Do I detect a lot of anger flowing around this place? Kind of like a pubescent volatility, some angst, a lot of I'm-sixteen-and-angry-at-my-father syndrome?

fuck that noise.

gmen.

My commute is about 10 minutes. I generally don't consider the need for insulated legs until about -5 Celsius. Some thing like these to keep the front of my legs and feet dry would be great.

I have those PI launch trail pants and for as thin and light as they are, they're pretty warm. Like I've been out in the 30s with just liner bibs underneath and was fine. Front pockets keep the stuff in them down on the sides of your thighs. I have a pair of poc shorts and the front pockets are nearly useless because it holds everything on the top of your legs and a phone will get jammed into the front of your hip on every pedal stroke. IMO every pair of pants or baggy shorts needs a way to carry a phone.

They don't seem like they'd be right for really wet conditions, like being out in the rain and mud for an extended period of time but I haven't tried it. Have splashed through a few puddles and been out after it rained where you're going through wet bushes and water seemed to bead up pretty well and kept my legs dry.

the most beautiful place in the whole wide world
    Quote Originally Posted by jamal View Post
    I have those PI launch trail pants and for as thin and light as they are, they're pretty warm. Like I've been out in the 30s with just liner bibs underneath and was fine. Front pockets keep the stuff in them down on the sides of your thighs. I have a pair of poc shorts and the front pockets are nearly useless because it holds everything on the top of your legs and a phone will get jammed into the front of your hip on every pedal stroke. IMO every pair of pants or baggy shorts needs a way to carry a phone.

They don't seem like they'd be right for really wet conditions, like being out in the rain and mud for an extended period of time but I haven't tried it. Have splashed through a few puddles and been out after it rained where you're going through wet bushes and water seemed to bead up pretty well and kept my legs dry.
    As an FYI the Club Ride Apparel shorts also truly nail pocket placement well. I completely forget my phone is there. One time I stopped thinking I had left the zip open and had lost it. nope.

Quote Originally Posted by volklpowdermaniac View Post
    I bought a pair of endura MT500 Spray pants for this winter in the PNW, and I would say they have been just fine, fit and finish is real nice, but as far as their primary objective of being waterproof, eh not really have ridden in both some real rain and just some drizzle and then some just post rain or near rain conditions. And other than the absolutely not raining day, I was pretty soaked through, and even then I wasn’t totally bone dry. They’ll serve my purpose for this year, but almost certainly should have gone with the step up in the MT500 line the actual “waterproof trouser” not just the spray... oh well, might try those or one of the recco’d above
    If you're riding in the rain out here you need to accept you and every piece of clothing will be fully soaked through. Embrace it, chose your fabrics wisely, layer appropriately, and don't stop for long when out there. Pants are just more material that soaks through and gets heavy IMO.

for colder, dry days I bet pants are really nice though. Even dry sky, muddy days they are probably great.

Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    If you're riding in the rain out here you need to accept you and every piece of clothing will be fully soaked through. Embrace it, chose your fabrics wisely, layer appropriately, and don't stop for long when out there. Pants are just more material that soaks through and gets heavy IMO.

for colder, dry days I bet pants are really nice though. Even dry sky, muddy days they are probably great.
    Yeah I’m searching for a dry sky muddy kind of day. Mostly something easy to peel off at the car.

Quote Originally Posted by thejongiest View Post
    Yeah I’m searching for a dry sky muddy kind of day. Mostly something easy to peel off at the car.
    This is the number one thing I like about pants, legs stay clean. A lot of my riding I do from home and when I get back I brush dirt off the pants and leave them in the garage and throw on sweat pants or whatever then good to go inside without bringing any dirt with me.

jongiest, I just picked up a pair of Patagonia Simul Alpine pants on a whim intending to use them for hiking and they fit great for riding too! I've only used them once on the MTB and it was a cold and dry night and they did great with a thin layer underneath. Although they aren't bike-specific they do have streamlined zipper cargo pockets and an elastic cinch cuff. I also use Specialized 2L rain pants for commuting and real wet riding, but those might not breath very well for what you're looking for.