Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

About my Fuel Pump - Yukon

My 01 5.3L Yukon stopped starting two days ago. It acted like it was running out of gas in that I got it to start 4 more times after waiting between and each time it lasted shorter, from 20 seconds down to 2. Now it just rolls over. There is no gas smell. It has a quarter tank and I even added more to be sure. I can't hear anything from the pump when I turn the key on but it's one of the harder ones to hear I think. The only code is p0466 which is the evap canister. I have a known issue there in that I hear a whistle coming from the area so I suspect a vacuum leak anyway. But as far as I know that can't cause starting issues??

When it warms up a bit I am going to change the filter. I don't have a fuel pressure gauge and getting one would entail another bike ride downtown that I'm saving for the pump. Can I simply depress the shrader valve on the fuel rail with the key on to verify it is priming and rule out that the pump isn't getting current?
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

You could pick up some starting fluid while you're at the store, and pick up a new fuel pump while you're there to save you a trip on the front end. If the Yukon starts with the starter fluid then dies, and you replace the fuel filter, I would suspect a fuel pump. If you run low on gas quite often, the fuel pump can often go out. The fuel cools the pump motor, and more debris gets sucked up too.

Changed the filter and therte is at least some pressure to the rail. Not sure what 40-50psi should look like coming out of a shrader valve. but at least i know it's getting current i guess. Off to check for spark.

There is spark, and there was no gas on the spark plug.

Weird and hazy recollection, but I believe my former cousin in law had to do something like disconnect the battery (ECM reset) to get the fuel to flow in certain instances on his suburban of that vintage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, we'll see since with all the not starting over the last three days I had to pull the battery out and charge it overnight. It's a bit of a windy snainy mess out there right now though.

i ordered the pump and I'm starting to get a little excited about cutting a hole in the floor. i'm a bit scared that none of the videos discuss the fact that they're cutting thru metal with sparks inches above the gas tank

If you have national chain parts stores near by see if they have a fuel pressure gauge for free use. The test should only take a few minutes and good piece of mind before cutting your floor. What are you using to cut the floor ? Stay away from the angle grinder unless you really want to meet your insurance deductible before the end of the year.

Why no angle grinder? That's one of our options and was used in one of the videos I watched although annoyingly he didn't show any of the actual cutting. We also have some good metal shears which I think is what we're hoping to use.

I got my knee replaced so the deductible is no problem

And we're getting a gauge from O'Reilly today.

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    Why no angle grinder? That's one of our options and was used in one of the videos I watched although annoyingly he didn't show any of the actual cutting. We also have some good metal shears which I think is what we're hoping to use.

I got my knee replaced so the deductible is no problem
    The sparks kind of scare me with any possibility the connectors leaking. I would drill a few access hole and start with the shears before resorting to the angle grinder. I have been able to use a scroll saw with a bunch of metal blades for cutting automotive panels in the past or a good cold chisel and hammer. I know the 5 minutes it would take to use a angle grinder is tempting but............... Maybe more experienced angle grinder butchers on here have better advice here.

I’ve done a fair amount of angle grinding metal and it sparks like no other tool for sure. Gas fumes out of the lines could be a problem. And of course if you missed by a bit and hit the gas tank I think it would be through real quick. A google suggests that gas tank might be plastic.

Is the tank a centimeter away or an inch away from the floor?

You might also check the fuel pump relay, see if you have an identical relay in the fuse box you can swap with and see if your car starts. Sounds like it's most likely your fuel pump but the relay check should only take a few minutes but the small chance it 's the problem is probably worth the effort.

already swapped it out with the horn relay to no effect.

the tank is about an inch to maybe two away

That’s plenty of fudge factor, probably won’t hit the tank then I’d guess.
    But also means you might be able to get a short jigsaw blade in there.
    Maybe with a wood plank under to raise it up.
    I’ll defer spark issue to basin b

jigsaw (edit-I meant to say sawzall there) at a very low angle is what I'm seeing most. but i don't have one. Do have a jigsaw though. The wood plank could work. will it mess with the metal blade cutting?
    Last edited by powdork; 11-25-2020 at 05:37 PM.

I would stuff a soaking wet towel up above the gas tank, if cutting the sheet metal out from the top side.

Also look at using something with a very short cutting blade, like a dremel tool, die grinder with cutting disc - something like that. Ideally you'd use a sheet metal nibbler though.

And if you need to hammer out the fuel pump lock ring, use a brass drift, not anything that can spark.

Don't blow yourself up.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

You can cut the end of jigsaw blade to minimize the depth as well. I actually bought a cheap air nibbler at harbor freight for a similar project and the damn think broke after about 3 inches of cutting. If you have a decent jig saw it should work pretty well since you'll b able to hold it fairly firm with downward pressure.

If you are using a jigsaw have 3-4 bits on hand as well. You're bit WILL break when you're almost done.

I could picture myself pulling the fuel line off a filter or fitting or something that is easy to get at under the hood, cranking the engine to see if any fuel spews out ? work back from there

I would probably ask the question on a GM forum

Is the Yukon the choice of vehical for dentists?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I just love vihichles with the fuel pump in the gas tank. Surprised there are You tube videos on how to cut the floor to get at the pump rather than pay a mechanic 1000$ plus to drop the tank and R&R the pump.

Good luck. Been there, paid the money to have it done on a Jeep
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

About my Fuel Pump - Yukon

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    I could picture myself pulling the fuel line off a filter or fitting or something that is easy to get at under the hood, cranking the engine to see if any fuel spews out ? work back from there

I would probably ask the question on a GM forum

Is the Yukon the choice of vehical for dentists?
    I was gonna do that when I changed the filter but at that point i figured after changing the filter if I got stuff to come out of the shrader valve at the rail it would have to be getting current. it does have flow out of the valve, but 0 reading on the pressure gauge.

We started with the shears but they get harder the further you get in and the angle grinder came out. nobody died but holy sparks

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5679.JPG 
Views:	44 
Size:	195.5 KB 
ID:	349775
    (the bolt cutters weren't part of the operation
    Last edited by powdork; 11-25-2020 at 06:07 PM.

For better or worse I've had to cut holes with the grinder through the floor near gas tank as well. It went fine and I went slow and did the wet towel trick. The other thing to beware of is sound deadening material. That can smolder and catch fire if you dont pay attention.

Another is oxidized metal is nasty stuff to breathe. Shoulda mentioned it sooner but didn’t know you had it qued up and ready. Nice job drilling pilot holes in the corners.

Obvious step. Clean up all the debris before you open the tank.. metal shavings in the tank - dam. I guess you will know soon if it's the pump. Being afoot at Tahoe can really motivate
    Own your fail. ~Jer~