Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

I play with my kids' toys.

Had someone told me one of the best parts of having kids was being able to play with toys again, without the state giving me another restraining order, I would have had them ten years earlier.

Seeing my kids enjoying the same stuff I had when I was their age is pretty gratifying.

Legos, Matchbox, Hot Wheels, R/C Cars, Planes, etc..... what are your midgets in to?

Kinda of a cross/repost, but I picked up a few R/C crawlers for our kids right before the pandemic. These things are amazing. I had a little Radio Shack Nikko when I was a kid, but these things are next level. We used them in the neighborhood and for our weekend family hikes. Bonus, the kids don't bitch and whine while hiking. Bonus, bonus, seeing the jealousy in other father's eyes when they realize they didn't think of it first.

Crawlers are kinda cool. Good tinkering projects too.

new paint

I'd like to get into R/C Crawling. My wife thinks it's dumb. So I said OK, can I get a full-sized crawling rig. She isn't totally opposed.

Just bought my kids a cheap rc car. $60 on Amazon. That thing is so fun. Makes me want to spend a small fortune on it. Broke a shock on day one so upgraded to 4 new all aluminum ones. I could see this getting expensive. Crawlers look like a ton of fun.

I play with my kids' toys.

Legos, Matchbox/Hot Wheels, drones, pogo sticks, trampoline, Nerf battles, Osmo, Dash&Dot. Not into a lot of the video games but most of the Mario stuff is good and I’ve wasted entire days on Cuphead. I don’t have plans to grow up anytime soon.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Quote Originally Posted by Buke View Post
    Just bought my kids a cheap rc car. $60 on Amazon. That thing is so fun. Makes me want to spend a small fortune on it. Broke a shock on day one so upgraded to 4 new all aluminum ones. I could see this getting expensive. Crawlers look like a ton of fun.
    Those cheap RC cars break constantly. Hell, even my BIL's expensive ones are always breaking. It never ends. I finally had to tell my son he's done with them until he's able to repair them himself. The crawlers probably don't have that problem, but he's only interested in the fast ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Those cheap RC cars break constantly. Hell, even my BIL's expensive ones are always breaking. It never ends. I finally had to tell my son he's done with them until he's able to repair them himself. The crawlers probably don't have that problem, but he's only interested in the fast ones.
    Our cheap ones haven’t broken once. Our expensive ones break constantly.

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    Legos, Matchbox/Hot Wheels, drones, pogo sticks, trampoline, Nerf battles, Osmo, Dash&Dot. Not into a lot of the video games but most of the Mario stuff is good and I’ve wasted entire days on Cuphead. I don’t have plans to grow up anytime soon.
    I don't have kids but, if I had, I'd be the guy whose kid would go crying to mommy 'cause daddy wouldn't give him his toy back when he wanted it. Then I'd be in deep shit with the wife, have to give up the toy, and have her mad at me the rest of the night. Next day would be rinse and repeat....probably good we never had kids.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	t34.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	265.6 KB 
ID:	349583

I got one of these for $150, I would chase the dog with it.

The wife HATED it. The fake smoke would stink and it made machine gun sounds and the yellow bb's were all over the house.
    I liked;
    It smoked when you started the motor.
    It would start up and shut down a fake motor sound.
    It made machine gun sounds and the gun would light up red.
    It made turret sounds and cannon sounds when it shot bb's and it would recoil and shake.

I ended up giving it to a cousin's kid. I really dislike my cousin. The kid loved it.

Name:	IMG_3324.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	2.51 MB 
ID:	349584
    I dug out my old sand scorcher and we’ve been using it non stop. So much fun.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I bought a BMX bike because I was jealous that my then 18 month old son could ride his strider in the house. Since then I've spent many a good hour in the parking lot riding with him as he's moved up to a real bike. Not exactly his toy, but I'd look ridiculous riding alone in a parking lot, but instead everyone is like "awwww, you're such a good dad." Somehow I still suck at manuals.

We have these really nice wooden blocks that are somewhat Jenga block shaped but a bit thinner. I had tons of fun making elaborate towers, bridges with those before he kicked them down.

How much does a decent RC Crawlers cost and what age do you think is ideal to start? My son is sometimes a whiny hiker so it's intriguing.

Name:	IMG_6317.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	1.59 MB 
ID:	349586
    Was just looking at these the other day , some of my old cars have up until now been in my office as a nice diversion if kids come in with parents - I always said I’d keep an eye on any young one who automatically put the jag on the little tow truck - they’d certainly have a future in my line of work...

Well, my kids each have a good rc car, and I have a badass one. Well, 8yo kid, his is pretty badass too.
    Charging up the hill and jumping out into the street.
    Girl drives the buggy. The remote let's you setup different profiles with different settings. So you can limit speed to 40% or whatever, and dial it up as she improves, and quickly switch profile so dad can go full speed.
    Boy drives the fox truck, an arrma senton 6s. A tank. Fast and durable. He drives it quite well, and is working on his attitude adjustment in the air so he can make smoother landings.

Good landing...
    https://youtu.be/k3zArGiW-5M

Bad landing...
    https://youtu.be/jIBvhTlj5U4

Name:	IMG_20201120_162452.jpeg 
Views:	128 
Size:	118.6 KB 
ID:	349585Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20201101_134306.jpeg 
Views:	118 
Size:	96.2 KB 
ID:	349587Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20201030_171411.jpeg 
Views:	109 
Size:	146.4 KB 
ID:	349588

sent from Utah.
    sigless.

We made a fun video with the slot car track as well.
    The inaugural basement 500
    https://youtu.be/5uHnY_txiKk

sent from Utah.
    sigless.

Quote Originally Posted by Sagamoron View Post

Name:	IMG_3324.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	2.51 MB 
ID:	349584
    I dug out my old sand scorcher and we’ve been using it non stop. So much fun.

Nice. Second, after a crawler.

Quote Originally Posted by basinbeater View Post
    Well, my kids each have a good rc car, and I have a badass one. Well, 8yo kid, his is pretty badass too.
    Charging up the hill and jumping out into the street.
    Girl drives the buggy. The remote let's you setup different profiles with different settings. So you can limit speed to 40% or whatever, and dial it up as she improves, and quickly switch profile so dad can go full speed.
    Boy drives the fox truck, an arrma senton 6s. A tank. Fast and durable. He drives it quite well, and is working on his attitude adjustment in the air so he can make smoother landings.

Good landing...
    https://youtu.be/k3zArGiW-5M

Bad landing...
    https://youtu.be/jIBvhTlj5U4

Name:	IMG_20201120_162452.jpeg 
Views:	128 
Size:	118.6 KB 
ID:	349585Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20201101_134306.jpeg 
Views:	118 
Size:	96.2 KB 
ID:	349587Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20201030_171411.jpeg 
Views:	109 
Size:	146.4 KB 
ID:	349588

sent from Utah.
    Gonna be a good day.

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusBrody View Post
    ....How much does a decent RC Crawlers cost and what age do you think is ideal to start? My son is sometimes a whiny hiker so it's intriguing.
    I've been sticking to the Redcat brand. They're like the Hyundai or Kia of the industry. Surprisingly good for the price. The orange one is a Gen8. It ran me about $220 on sale. The black one is a Gen7. I picked it up used for $100. The batteries, chargers, and parts are dirt cheap. I've done a bunch of lighting and wiring, replaced a fair number of parts, shocks, gears, linkages, etc... and I'm only out about $100. Tools and spares probably set me back $50.

I started the boy at about 4 with a little AA battery operated one that he fucked around with inside. He was pretty familiar with the controls when I picked these up for him. He's 6 now and is probably better at getting his through obstacles than I am. The 4 year old girl still has trouble with the controls. She takes after her father.

My kids started at like 2 with a Walmart crawler style vehicle. They had fun with it for years until it finally broke, and we got another one. It has a small remote for little hands, and they learn the basics of driving the car.
    Here is one for $25. Looks like most places are selling them for close to $50, which was not the case a few years ago. Key to this endeavor is making sure they learn to turn it OFF when they aren't using it. Great for banging around the backyard/garden/campsite.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Maisto-R-C-....m46890.l49292

Name:	IMG_20201124_143839.jpeg 
Views:	112 
Size:	112.7 KB 
ID:	349609

sent from Utah.
    sigless.

Also. A backpack with decent external straps is money. You will be carrying it.

Fixing it is half the fun.

Nice...^^^. I like it.
    I need a good crawler...

sent from Utah.
    sigless.

We have been loving the RC cars too. Here is a few of them. Also have a monster truck and a cheapo for the 5 year old. The 1/7 scale Desert Truck is a beast.

Name:	Image1606255887.552726.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	211.9 KB 
ID:	349623

RC cars are good toys.
    Pay the money and buy decent quality at the local store. Shit will break, and it’s easier to buy local parts.

Teaches kids to wrench. And also responsibilities
    And working to make money for upgrades and repairs.

Also a lesson in lbs, lss, etc. yes it’s cheaper on the webs, but if you don’t buy local, there’s no local parts.
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by basinbeater View Post
    We made a fun video with the slot car track as well.
    The inaugural basement 500
    https://youtu.be/5uHnY_txiKk
    ^^ good times. cute kids

Quote Originally Posted by iamTRuTH View Post
    We have been loving the RC cars too. Here is a few of them. Also have a monster truck and a cheapo for the 5 year old. The 1/7 scale Desert Truck is a beast.

Name:	Image1606255887.552726.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	211.9 KB 
ID:	349623
    If you are salt lake, you need to bring those to my house to run on our big track. Mojave is badass. Got mine on Friday. We are gonna beat on it here in like 15 minutes.

sent from Utah.
    sigless.