Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by basinbeater View Post
    If you are salt lake, you need to bring those to my house to run on our big track. Mojave is badass. Got mine on Friday. We are gonna beat on it here in like 15 minutes.

sent from Utah.
    We are in Denver, I need more people to bash with here though.

Quote Originally Posted by YourMomJustCalled View Post
    I've been sticking to the Redcat brand. They're like the Hyundai or Kia of the industry. Surprisingly good for the price. The orange one is a Gen8. It ran me about $220 on sale. The black one is a Gen7. I picked it up used for $100. The batteries, chargers, and parts are dirt cheap. I've done a bunch of lighting and wiring, replaced a fair number of parts, shocks, gears, linkages, etc... and I'm only out about $100. Tools and spares probably set me back $50.

I started the boy at about 4 with a little AA battery operated one that he fucked around with inside. He was pretty familiar with the controls when I picked these up for him. He's 6 now and is probably better at getting his through obstacles than I am. The 4 year old girl still has trouble with the controls. She takes after her father.
    My kids started at like 2 with a Walmart crawler style vehicle. They had fun with it for years until it finally broke, and we got another one. It has a small remote for little hands, and they learn the basics of driving the car.
    Here is one for $25. Looks like most places are selling them for close to $50, which was not the case a few years ago. Key to this endeavor is making sure they learn to turn it OFF when they aren't using it. Great for banging around the backyard/garden/campsite.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Maisto-R-C-....m46890.l49292

sent from Utah.
    Thanks for the information. My son is 4.5, very into vehicles, and when we went to the pumptrack the other day, a bunch of RC buggies were racing around it. I was annoyed as I wanted to ride, but he loved watching them. I'll keep my eyes open over the next week or so and maybe pick one up for [him] for Christmas.

Basinbeater, that truck you link looks like it is powered by standard disposable batteries. I assume that I should look for one with rechargeables? Any difference in fun for little kids between 1/24 and 1/10 scale? Obviously the former would be easier to carry, but I assume that the latter could go over more.

We made a fun video with the slot car track as well.
    The inaugural basement 500
    https://youtu.be/5uHnY_txiKk

sent from Utah.
    HAHA ! So much win in that video.

Pre-race commentary is hilarious.

Security on the track.

Fans in bleachers.

White flag !

I advise basinbeater to start saving up for a shotgun. In about 16 years he will need it to chase all the boys away from that redheaded daughter.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusBrody View Post
    Thanks for the information. My son is 4.5, very into vehicles, and when we went to the pumptrack the other day, a bunch of RC buggies were racing around it. I was annoyed as I wanted to ride, but he loved watching them. I'll keep my eyes open over the next week or so and maybe pick one up for [him] for Christmas.

Basinbeater, that truck you link looks like it is powered by standard disposable batteries. I assume that I should look for one with rechargeables? Any difference in fun for little kids between 1/24 and 1/10 scale? Obviously the former would be easier to carry, but I assume that the latter could go over more.
    Yeah, that little rock crawler uses regular aa batteries, but we ran rechargable ones, as the kids frequently left them on. Even cheapo rechargeable aa batteries would last a long time.
    But it was great for them to learn control. We really like the 1/10 short course and desert buggy style cars. I have helped my cousin get a couple of cars for his kids, and both of them got 1/10 traxxas slash 4x4 brushless. Brushless is more expensive, but they run much better, and are less maintenance. If your kid hasn't driven a fast rc car before, it's asking for trouble. Traxxas esc has a beginner mode, where it is limited to 50% speed. I use radios that let me control how much power is available. But the traxxas slash is a good beginner car, so is an Arrma senton 3s 4x4. I really like our 1/10 losi tenacity db. Super fun great handling car. Hadn't broken until the other day. Part is in the mail. Rock crawlers are a different ball game, slower, but you can still break stuff like axles and steering components, just like on the real deal. I don't know much about crawlers.

sent from Utah.
    sigless.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    HAHA ! So much win in that video.

Pre-race commentary is hilarious.

Security on the track.

Fans in bleachers.

White flag !

I advise basinbeater to start saving up for a shotgun. In about 16 years he will need it to chase all the boys away from that redheaded daughter.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Glad you enjoyed the video, we had fun making it on a rainy day. I made him write a script, similar to what you see and hear at the beginning of a race. They love to make videos.

sent from Utah.
    sigless.

We were just out back rallyin the mojave, here is a youtube video, get a good overview of the track.

https://youtu.be/RLbDJUly9-c

sent from Utah.
    sigless.

Yeah, that little rock crawler uses regular aa batteries, but we ran rechargable ones, as the kids frequently left them on. Even cheapo rechargeable aa batteries would last a long time.
    But it was great for them to learn control. We really like the 1/10 short course and desert buggy style cars. I have helped my cousin get a couple of cars for his kids, and both of them got 1/10 traxxas slash 4x4 brushless. Brushless is more expensive, but they run much better, and are less maintenance. If your kid hasn't driven a fast rc car before, it's asking for trouble. Traxxas esc has a beginner mode, where it is limited to 50% speed. I use radios that let me control how much power is available. But the traxxas slash is a good beginner car, so is an Arrma senton 3s 4x4. I really like our 1/10 losi tenacity db. Super fun great handling car. Hadn't broken until the other day. Part is in the mail. Rock crawlers are a different ball game, slower, but you can still break stuff like axles and steering components, just like on the real deal. I don't know much about crawlers.

sent from Utah.
    Cool. It looks like it's even cheaper on Amazon, so maybe I'll pick it up and see if he enjoys it, then pick up a nicer one if he or I do. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by iamTRuTH View Post
    We are in Denver, I need more people to bash with here though.
    I was ticking off some shitty/obscure disc golf courses around Denver and one had a municipal RC track next to it that was packed.

I didn't even know those things existed. Maybe there's a club or race nights (?) that you could meet people to race or talk shop.

Sick.

I have a Yokomo rally car buried somewhere. Fast on the road but had more fun with this cheapo and it took an incredible beating.

I remember that ad!

sent from Utah.
    sigless.

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    I was ticking off some shitty/obscure disc golf courses around Denver and one had a municipal RC track next to it that was packed.

I didn't even know those things existed. Maybe there's a club or race nights (?) that you could meet people to race or talk shop.
    I have a couple of good spots, and you can’t have enough rc buddies.

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusBrody View Post
    Cool. It looks like it's even cheaper on Amazon, so maybe I'll pick it up and see if he enjoys it, then pick up a nicer one if he or I do. Thanks!
    We did something similar. Duplos are great for fashioning indoor courses.

This was the second one we picked up. It's fast as fuck and great for bashing around the yard yet cheap enough that if something breaks, I won't be too pissed.

I'd love to get into the short course trucks, or desert runners, but I can't stay still long enough. I guess I just like the challenge of the crawlers.

One of the more fun places we drove em this year was camping in the west desert. We were way up a fairly gnarly 4x4 trail, and that was ok to drive on, but we realized they could climb the fairly steep hill next to the trail, and it was mainly dirt and small rocks, so not super rough, but there were big boulders sticking out around the hill, and you could launch off the boulders, stick the landings, turn around on the trail, and back up the hill to launch a different one.

sent from Utah.
    sigless.

yall might dig Sage's crawl insta: @crawlboss420

Can't wait to get started on this one.

very nice and funny

Good toy and very entertaining. To stimulate their creativity you could also play chess, if you don't have a physical board you can use one online. Right now I don't remember what website I used to play chess online with my friends, but if anyone knows of one that says it.

while you weenies were playing with rc cars this 7 year old had better ideas for her christmas presents.

In ten years when she shows up at the next kenosha with a pink bazooka, I won't be too surprised.

sent from Utah.
    sigless.

Yeah, that's royally fucked up.

That was unfair to her, I posted that without context. Don't worry, her parents started her with the small stuff before letting her touch the cannon.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Star View Post
    That was unfair to her, I posted that without context. Don't worry, her parents started her with the small stuff before letting her touch the cannon.

"You can take the kid out of the trailer........"

she should be bitch slapped for throwing the gun on the ground, all around fucking disgusting. shooting 2 handed, so much gun safety fail, click whores

That's really sad, and Lone Star if your idea of a good time is coming here to cunt up this thread, well you do you as they say.

Anyways.

I'm tempted to get back into the 1:10 scale rc stuff and see things have really changed. Was originally planning on a retro old-school car like I had ages ago but see how far things have gone and am overwhelmed with the choices. And I shouldn't be surprised but it seems this has been a popular hobby with our recent events that finding things in stock can be a challenge. What I'm looking forward to the most is the building and upgrading aspects.

So in the meantime I grabbed a Team Associated TR28 - tiny little cheap (relatively lol) 1:28 carpet ripper. Pretty damn fun, and I've been building ramps and walls to hit around the house. Wife has been quite patient, of course it's only been one day lol. Cat is unimpressed, I thought she would be on board.

Looking at the Tamiya and Kyosho sites the other night, they've re-released some classic kits which is cool to see.

Thalela, sorry. I thought the can launcher was pretty funny, on topic, and of the same vein of similar fun projectile things to share with kids like potato guns, catapults, and modified model rockets. These things are my idea of funny and a good time; if you disagree it's not because I am trying to troll you.