Day pack for your hut trips?

Hey All,

Just wanted to see what the consensus is, do y'all carry a daypack on your hut trips? Or do you just dump everything on your bunk at the hut and pack down your main pack (this is what I've been doing)?

FWIW I've got a 45L ortovox alpine pack that is great for this, just big enough for everything on a hut trip and I'm currently looking for a smaller, 20-25L day pack, just trying to decide if I should get one that can be packed for hut trips.

I like just carrying one big pack generally, but its all situational. The last hut trip I did had a hut that was only a mile or so from the trailhead and access was easy. For that multiple packs or small pack with sled would have been great.

I've tried a few different methods, they kind of all suck in their own way.
    -medium 35Lish daypack and hang shit off it like a christmas tree
    -larger 45L daypack and hang slightly less shit off it
    -either of the above and also split 1-2 pulks over the group
    -70L backpacking pack with a Dakine vest strapped to it

Overall I think I liked the last option the best but that's mostly because my wife can't fit all her shit in her pack and I end up carrying a lot of it. Also, I like to eat and drink very well on hut trips.

How well does your 45 L cinch down when empty?

For hut trips I use a 50 + 7 L. When I get to the hut I unload everything and lightly pack it for day trips. The Mammut Trion pack I use really cinches down when there isn't much in it. Doesn't feel any more cumbersome than the 35 L I use on day trips. The idea of carrying an extra day pack seems shitty to me. Although I've seen some larger ~ 70 L packs that have a detachable day pack built in. That could be sweet.

I've got the 45 L Ortovox and have used it a few times for hut trips (to 10th mtn huts so didn't have to bring a whole lot). I just dumped everything on the bed and toured with the big pack, but that's also what I tour in 90% of the time. I think once you throw avy gear, some lunch, and a puffy in there it cinches down to be a reasonable size.

Sent from my Pixel XL using TGR Forums mobile app

I’ve done a lot of hut trips with a 32L BD dawn patrol, just have to be paired down on clothing and food. I also bring a Sea to Summit 50F 900 fill travel bag that packs down to nalgene size. Maybe a rope/crampons/helmet on the outside but no true junk show.

For the decadent, three bottles of wine, a six pack and the normal down bag experience: the Mammut 45L is too easy. Unless people have stupid large sleeping bags, I can’t imagine touring with anything larger??

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I’ve used a 30l bd cirque for catered hut trips. Strap a big dry sack to it and drop it at the hut.

Day pack for your hut trips?

Catered hut trips? And you were carrying a bag? You are an embarrassment to all dentists everywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm like adrenelated but don't own a vest. My methods depending on where I'm going:

-35L day pack with pulk sled (picked up at a thrift store for $8, no handles, made some out of conduit). Usually when carrying more group food/gear/booze to make up for others not carrying as much. Only mention cost because I probably wouldn't have a pulk if I had to pay anywhere close to what they cost retail. I've also seen friends use kids plastic sleds they rig up and it looks like a terrible experience.
    -35L day pack with big dry sack. Day pack doesn't handle the weight well though and I don't do this anymore.
    -Hunting pack with gear and day ski pack. Adds about 6-8 pounds because two packs and one has an air bag. But hunt pack handles weight better than I do.
    -Hunting pack with no day pack. Hunting pack carries weight really well but terrible for ski/avy tool organization so this option is just for really going to a yurt/hut to party.

Never thought of bringing my vest with a big backpacking pack, that makes a lot of sense. I sort of loathe doing actual touring with a vest though.

Oooh now I'm interested in these vests... sounds like the day pack method is less than ideal and I'll probably just stick with dumping everything at the hut and cinching down the 45L. Haven't done anything that requires too much cookware, that'll probably entail a sled.

@Crow does that Mammut pack have a dedicated shit knife pocket?

Quote Originally Posted by NobodyGoesToDodge View Post

Shit knife is kept directly on my person! I’d never risk keeping it in my pack. Do you want to be fishing around in your pack when you’ve got shit in your pants?

Last but trip I did I took my 34+8 deuter pack, hung a bunch of stuff off the sides, and also strapped my abs vest to it. No complaints. Also carried a good amount of food up with me cuz I'm a glutton when I do huts. I've also done day trips with the deuter pack. It actually compresses down well and is nice to ski with.

The vest made for some nice laps close to the hut.

Attached picture is the evolution of my current pack I think.

Attachment 349725

Quote Originally Posted by mtnwriter View Post
    Catered hut trips? And you were carrying a bag? You are an embarrassment to all dentists everywhere.

Need camp clothes and foot wear. Booze and various accoutrements. I like skiing with a smaller pack.

Outdoor gear exchange has some pretty good pack sales going on:

https://www.gearx.com/packs-bags/bac...scounted=14872

I've got a slightly customized one of these being made - https://www.swdbackpacks.com/product-page/50Lbackpack
    With the roll top and side compression, the thinking is that can cinch it down pretty good for skiing, after packing shit in for hut or couple day camping
    And the outer pocket can hold shovel/probe

A day pack in that 20 - 25 L. range that packs small with minimal weight could be BCA's Stash 20. It will roll up small yet has everything day tours would require in a small package. Newer models have the A frame ski carry + side carry at the expense of a few ounces over the early version but I don't think the just under 3lbs. would be too obnoxious inside a bigger pack. That said, there are more light 40 - 50L. packs on the market these days but I'd be concerned about too light being too fragile so using a haul size pack for day touring, although I've done it, wouldn't be my favored approach. My BCA stash gets a lot of use, sidecountry and dedicated tour days with no shortcomings. Millett Peuterey 35 + 10 is a nice mid-size, well built, with a lot of desirable features. I can get several days worth of stuff in one & can say it isn't very heavy / bulky should one do day tours with it. Food for thought.

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    Need camp clothes and foot wear. Booze and various accoutrements. I like skiing with a smaller pack.

Just havin some fun on you. Pro tip though: booze is always stored in you’re best friends pack when they aren’t looking at the TR and removed at camp when you cheers them and drink to their health

Quote Originally Posted by NobodyGoesToDodge View Post

Fack, I wish! Is decadence is lost when you pack in Wet Wipes, pre-covid, for your poop handz?