Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Re Rockie Talkies
    Why not just buy a cheap quality blister pack radio,
    with the exact same features, minus the carabiner clip?
    Get two for the price of the one Rockie Talkie.
    Or buy a bunch of mini FRS ones? Put one in every pocket.
    They all have roughly the same range and there are some really small ones for really cheap.
    5W vs 2W isn't a big difference either. The antenna on FRS blister radios is tuned and has a small form factor.
    A 2W blister pack could probably do better than a 5W baofang with the generic whip antenna.
    2W might get you 2 miles range. 5W might get you 2.5 to 3 Miles range. But maybe not if you don't have a tuned antenna like the FRS ones have.
    A HAM shortie antenna isn't tuned specifically for FRS -- you will lose range by not using a specialized antenna. And you def don't want a 1/4 wave whip, they are a PITA in your jacket or attached on a pack.
    None of the ones claiming 'splash proof' are probably waterproof where it really counts (buttons, connectors, condensation, etc.). After you sweat in your jacket, and then hang it on the outside and it freezes and all the buttons don't work. That's when simplicity really counts.
    There are a bunch of threads in the last few years here. I'm surprised no one has checked them.
    Lots of good info on all the stuff being discussed.
    And remember, they all mess with beacons. They all do.
    OH, MY GAWD! ―John Hillerman  Big Billie Eilish fan.
    But that's a quibble to what PG posted (at first, anyway, I haven't read his latest book) ―jono
    we are not arguing about ski boots or fashionable clothing or spageheti O's which mean nothing in the grand scheme ― XXX-er

I'm not an electronics expert -- but I can already say this comparing my rocky talkies vs motorola's that were ~35 a pop -- much clearer audio, better range, and better battery life.

I have a feeling that while all say "2W" the way that 2W works out is different. Just like the Link 2.0s aren't the same quality as cheap blister packs that say 2W on them.

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    I'm not an electronics expert -- but I can already say this comparing my rocky talkies vs motorola's that were ~35 a pop -- much clearer audio, better range, and better battery life.

I have a feeling that while all say "2W" the way that 2W works out is different. Just like the Link 2.0s aren't the same quality as cheap blister packs that say 2W on them.
    There is an exception with most blister pack radios, channels 8 through 14 are limited to half a watt. So depending on that, you will notice a difference.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Family_Radio_Service

I suspect, (some HAM radio pro here can correct my wild guess here please).
    if you throw a untuned ham stubby/shorty on a baofeng 5W radio,
    you will probably lose 3db compared to the blister pack antenna.
    So you just lost the difference in power to the 2W radio with the tuned antenna.

A quick google search:

TWO-WAY RADIOS
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...Two-way-Radios

DO IT ALL PORTABLE CB/WALKIE/RADIO/SCANNER
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...-radio-scanner

TWO-WAY RADIO RECS? (2015)
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...io-Recs-(2015)

2-WAY RADIOS REVIEW – FRS, TALKABOUT, HAM, BCA, FOR BACKCOUNTRY SKIING
    https://www.wildsnow.com/5854/2-way-...talkie-review/

NEW FCC RULES MAY CHANGE FRS/GMRS WALKIE RADIOS
    from wildsnow https://www.wildsnow.com/23649/new-f...s-gmrs-radios/
    OH, MY GAWD! ―John Hillerman  Big Billie Eilish fan.
    But that's a quibble to what PG posted (at first, anyway, I haven't read his latest book) ―jono
    we are not arguing about ski boots or fashionable clothing or spageheti O's which mean nothing in the grand scheme ― XXX-er

Backcountry Radios -- experience, recommendations, questions

I think it really comes down to usage amount. Midlands work great for most people unless you want to commit to a Link system. Our org uses Link2.0, it’s great, but I’d be had d pressed to pay for them personally

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Question for people who use the BCA radios. I'm having a hard time figuring out the best place/way to clip the mic part to my backpack straps. I've got an ARVA airbag, and the clip doesn't like the thicker shoulder pads and falls off all the time. I can clip it to the chest strap, but that's a pain because I have to unclip it every time I take the pack off.

Anyone run into this or have any solutions?

Quote Originally Posted by Backward_Banana View Post
    Question for people who use the BCA radios. I'm having a hard time figuring out the best place/way to clip the mic part to my backpack straps. I've got an ARVA airbag, and the clip doesn't like the thicker shoulder pads and falls off all the time. I can clip it to the chest strap, but that's a pain because I have to unclip it every time I take the pack off.

Anyone run into this or have any solutions?
    Maybe wrap a voile strap or similar and attach to that. Mine clips onto a slit in the vest

I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Not a full review but --

Used the Rockie Talkies for 3 ski days this week. Two dawn tours of 3-4hrs and a full ski day. I don't talk constantly/much on them. The two tours were cold (0-5F). Battery down to 85% after those three outings. No idea how linear it decreases.

Good, clear transmissions from Lift 6 at Loveland to the base of Loveland Valley.

As for the "flapping" -- just doesn't happen unless you're skiing really rowdy.

Small necro bump, but Rocky Talkie is coming out with a waterproof hand mic. Not full feature parity with BCA's hand mic, obviously, but brings them a bit closer.

https://rockytalkie.com/products/waterproof-hand-mic

Quote Originally Posted by Ørion View Post
    Small necro bump, but Rocky Talkie is coming out with a waterproof hand mic. Not full feature parity with BCA's hand mic, obviously, but brings them a bit closer.

That’s awesome. I don’t really switch channels or volume all that much…in fact the channel switcher should be stiffer or have a lock on the BCA radios, sometimes I knock it one over.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunder View Post
    I own 8 Yaesu radios (a mix of the VX6r, 7R and 8R), and I couldn't recommend them more for reliability, range and durability. They are a big step up from the "toy" radios by BCA, Motorola, rocky talkie, etc. However I also need the ground to air capability, and almost exclusively work on VHF commercial channels supplied by the various operations I work with. If you get any good single or dual band radios from Yaesu, Kenwood, etc you can keep them on UHF and program them the standard FRS radio channels and your own custom tones and be 100% legal without a license and not deal with the noise pollution using the standard tones on the BCA / FRS channels. However all UHF radio channels will have shorter range in the mountains than VHF.
    I too will state that you should consider getting something in the GMRS realm with an FCC license. The license is cheap ($30), no test, and lasts for 10 years now. These are compatible with all the other mentioned radios and you can program BCA A-E channels, and the greatest hits from your RockyTalky/Motorola/midland buddies. Biggest advantages? Weatherband, repeater access for range, and much higher quality sound and range for less money. Yes, they are cheaper. Right now, Radioddity has the Baofeng UV-9G (waterproof) open box for $30. A pair of hand mics that are waterproof for $12-20. With license, a pair will cost you $110 right now and have 5W power, replaceable batteries for multi-day trips, and many more features.

My friends with RockyTalkies like them and are all happy they finally can buy an overpriced handmic to keep the radio in their bag so that it isn't flopping all over their front straps. In the mean time, a removable antenna radio will give you better signal to noise ratio and a much clearer sound. You will hear them better and sound clearer to them. \

OK, so Motorola and RockyTalkie with handmic will set you back quite a bit, are stuck at .5 or 2 watts power, have short stub antenna, and no weather band or repeater channels. The BCA (I have had two 2.0s) are nice until they stop working. I had a handmic break and a not it won't transmit since it is the only microphone. There are no parts to replace this, so you have to go through BCA or just sell for parts. Also, be sure to get the Lizard Skinz for your BCA to keep snow out. I am pretty sure that a deep powder day was the culprit to wrecking my very overpriced radio.

Last thing, I would just get a GMRS radio and skip the UHF/VHF style options. Not that it would ever come to this, but if you got stuck in an emergency and there was an investigation, the US Government could slap the fines on you for FCC violations, especially if evidence of other criminal activity are harder to substantiate. Keeping in the clear here could reduce your burden at that time and even show that you are willing to go through a small hoop to follow the law. Something your attorney can leverage when so many out there are "illegally" transmitting on GMRS with a radio the FCC has not approved for that. Even HAM operators do not do this without specific reasons.

Let me know if anyone needs a referral code for Raddiodity. Anyone that buys there can get one and it could save you a couple bucks. I have no skin in the game but would want to help anyone out that wants to buy some gear.
    Someone once told me that I ski like a Scandinavian angel.

Quote Originally Posted by Ørion View Post

Full feature is something I thought I would want, but once my crews all agreed to one channel and privacy code, we haven't run into interference.

The full-feature hand mic also has an issue where if anything goes wrong with it, you have a much harder time using your radio. With the dumb handmic, you can always unplug and use the radio without it.

One of my BCA handmics failed after the first season and now that radio is crippled.
    Someone once told me that I ski like a Scandinavian angel.

I have been happy with my BCA 2.0. Easy to use, durable and has good talk groups The clip microphone is nice and easy to hear and talk. Good range and price is fair

I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Quote Originally Posted by alfajores View Post
    I too will state that you should consider getting something in the GMRS realm ... Right now, Radioddity has the Baofeng UV-9G (waterproof) open box for $30. Let me know if anyone needs a referral code for Raddiodity.
    JFC dude. You are telling someone who owns Yaesu and Kenwood HTs that what they really need to do is buy a used Baefang so they can use GMRS?

It's like telling someone who rides Yetis, Transition, Intense, DPS, Iggys, and Folsoms that what they really should do is go down to Walmart and buy a Huffy and some pink strap on kid's skis.

You have no clue.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by summit View Post
    JFC dude. You are telling someone who owns Yaesu and Kenwood HTs that what they really need to do is buy a used Baefang so they can use GMRS?

It's like telling someone who rides Yetis, Transition, Intense, DPS, Iggys, and Folsoms that what they really should do is go down to Walmart and buy a Huffy and some pink strap on kid's skis.

You have no clue.
    LOL. In my opinion unless you're an expert, want to fuck around with your radios, or are on a huge budget just get the Rockie Talkie or BCA 2.0. They're expensive for a reason, like why iPhones took off and Windows Mobile sucked ass.

Two thumbs up for Rockie Talkie. Used it a bunch last season on hill and on the river. Solid, simple, great battery in cold, and now the corded mic (already ordered).
    Let me lock in the system at Warp 2
    Push it on into systematic overdrive
    You know what to do

I’ve really liked them bank fishing with friends
    Used a rocky talkie for the first time on a tour
    Got a rhythmic burst of static
    I started to wonder if it was picking up the beacon
    Is that possible?

Quote Originally Posted by nickel View Post
    Couple people mentioned they had many issues with their baeofangs? Like what? My two as well as the ~6 others floating around in my group have been flawless for regular users. Handing them off to a random is hit or miss.
    Got a bunch of Baofengs in our group, all work perfectly, all cost ~$30.

Quote Originally Posted by Peyto View Post
    Got a bunch of Baofengs in our group, all work perfectly, all cost ~$30.
    Same here. I have a hard time understanding how the advent of the $25 Baofeng didn't fully eliminate the market share of the $100+ competition, most of which isn't even as good.

Sent from my SM-F721U1 using TGR Forums mobile app
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

Which Baofengs are recommended? The one 10yo Motorolas I have need to be replaced.

Quote Originally Posted by climberevan View Post
    Same here. I have a hard time understanding how the advent of the $25 Baofeng didn't fully eliminate the market share of the $100+ competition, most of which isn't even as good.

Sent from my SM-F721U1 using TGR Forums mobile app
    Because most people don't want to spend a single second past purchase to set up their radios? Is it really that difficult to understand?

I bought two Baofeng's set them up with the intention of letting friends use them on tours since no one else had radio at the time. I used them for maybe 2 or 3 tours before one of my friends managed to reset the thing to Chinese and lost all the preset channels. Losing radio comms like that was a real bummer at the beginning of a long, convoluted tour.

Now everyone has BCAs and it takes about 30 seconds at the beginning of a tour to check comms and move on. Well worth the extra money spent IMO. A couple friends have their own Baofeng's and they seem to work well enough set to the regular BCA channels. But, I'd never want to hand off a baofeng to a rando when I can just give them a BCA and say, "stay on channel A."

I guess my experience has been pretty seamless with the Baofeng, but I guess if my friends were idiots I'd consider... different friends? Anyway, thanks for the explanation.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by ASmileyFace View Post
    Because most people don't want to spend a single second past purchase to set up their radios? Is it really that difficult to understand?

I bought two Baofeng's set them up with the intention of letting friends use them on tours since no one else had radio at the time. I used them for maybe 2 or 3 tours before one of my friends managed to reset the thing to Chinese and lost all the preset channels. Losing radio comms like that was a real bummer at the beginning of a long, convoluted tour.

Now everyone has BCAs and it takes about 30 seconds at the beginning of a tour to check comms and move on. Well worth the extra money spent IMO. A couple friends have their own Baofeng's and they seem to work well enough set to the regular BCA channels. But, I'd never want to hand off a baofeng to a rando when I can just give them a BCA and say, "stay on channel A."
    While I like that feature of the BCA radios, they have several flaws which vary from slightly annoying to making them downright unusable. The mic/body interface has a HORRIBLE design in that it is prone to breakage. Once the connection is busted, comms are unreliable and sometimes impossible. I keep a voile strap on the radio so the little plastic tab is supported and does not break off. BCA warranted the broken radios but design on the replacement/new radios is the same shitty setup.

The power wheel can easily be inadvertently turned on in a backpack (or elsewhere) resulting in weak/dead batteries. Yes there is a beep indicating the radio has been on for a while but this is bogus.

The lock setting does not prevent the radio from changing ABC setting. This is an annoyance but not a huge problem, ie If everybody knows that you’re supposed to be on C420 for the day.

Overall I’m happy w the clarity of the radios and usefulness of having the separate mouthpiece for my backpack strap but reliability and durability is far below what I expect from BCA, a company who has made it their mission to deliver gear which we risk our lives with.

Quote Originally Posted by jmedslc View Post
    While I like that feature of the BCA radios, they have several flaws which vary from slightly annoying to making them downright unusable. The mic/body interface has a HORRIBLE design in that it is prone to breakage. Once the connection is busted, comms are unreliable and sometimes impossible. I keep a voile strap on the radio so the little plastic tab is supported and does not break off. BCA warranted the broken radios but design on the replacement/new radios is the same shitty setup.

The power wheel can easily be inadvertently turned on in a backpack (or elsewhere) resulting in weak/dead batteries. Yes there is a beep indicating the radio has been on for a while but this is bogus.

The lock setting does not prevent the radio from changing ABC setting. This is an annoyance but not a huge problem, ie If everybody knows that you’re supposed to be on C420 for the day.

Overall I’m happy w the clarity of the radios and usefulness of having the separate mouthpiece for my backpack strap but reliability and durability is far below what I expect from BCA, a company who has made it their mission to deliver gear which we risk our lives with.
    Completely agree. I'm not saying that BCA radios are the best thing ever. It's just hard to beat the reliability, ease of use out of the package, and that is why they sell like crazy despite a fairly high price point.

I would love for BCA to redesign the mic/body interface. That plastic tab breaking is just as bad as a Baofeng resetting to Chinese. I had to warranty mine for the same issue, but that was my loner one which has been unattached and reattached inside a pack many times over the past two seasons.

When it comes down to it... no one has really nailed the cheap FRS backcountry radio yet. They all have their pros and cons. If you're willing to do a little work and learn the Baofeng will work very well. If you don't mind spending a little extra dough the Link 2.0 seems to be the easiest option... the Rocky Talky seems to fall somewhere closer to the BCAs, especially since the new hand mic is an extra $50 on top.

Also, while my friends might be idiots... I don't pick my ski touring partners based on how well they can set up/use a $25 radio from amazon.
    Last edited by ASmileyFace; 12-27-2022 at 01:00 PM.

I haven't had any reliability issues with the new Link 2 connection between body and mic. I agree that the old 1.0 design was pretty bad, but I haven't heard anyone breaking the 2.0 design.

Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    I haven't had any reliability issues with the new Link 2 connection between body and mic. I agree that the old 1.0 design was pretty bad, but I haven't heard anyone breaking the 2.0 design.
    Interesting. This is the design I’m referring to. Broke two of them and they replaced both. My buddy who has a pair had one fail. Now I either use voile strap or electrical tape.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1671906252.943685.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	1.22 MB 
ID:	439791
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1671906378.735563.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	1.28 MB 
ID:	439793