Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Re Rockie Talkies
    Why not just buy a cheap quality blister pack radio,
    with the exact same features, minus the carabiner clip?
    Get two for the price of the one Rockie Talkie.
    Or buy a bunch of mini FRS ones? Put one in every pocket.
    They all have roughly the same range and there are some really small ones for really cheap.
    5W vs 2W isn't a big difference either. The antenna on FRS blister radios is tuned and has a small form factor.
    A 2W blister pack could probably do better than a 5W baofang with the generic whip antenna.
    2W might get you 2 miles range. 5W might get you 2.5 to 3 Miles range. But maybe not if you don't have a tuned antenna like the FRS ones have.
    A HAM shortie antenna isn't tuned specifically for FRS -- you will lose range by not using a specialized antenna. And you def don't want a 1/4 wave whip, they are a PITA in your jacket or attached on a pack.
    None of the ones claiming 'splash proof' are probably waterproof where it really counts (buttons, connectors, condensation, etc.). After you sweat in your jacket, and then hang it on the outside and it freezes and all the buttons don't work. That's when simplicity really counts.
    There are a bunch of threads in the last few years here. I'm surprised no one has checked them.
    Lots of good info on all the stuff being discussed.
    And remember, they all mess with beacons. They all do.
    In search of diversion, many crew Members defy the quarantine restrictions and pick up pets from the various habitable worlds they explore (Sure Thing, Isaac Asimov). Quando omni flunkus, moritati (always recite before the Possum Lodge Word Game).

I'm not an electronics expert -- but I can already say this comparing my rocky talkies vs motorola's that were ~35 a pop -- much clearer audio, better range, and better battery life.

I have a feeling that while all say "2W" the way that 2W works out is different. Just like the Link 2.0s aren't the same quality as cheap blister packs that say 2W on them.

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    I'm not an electronics expert -- but I can already say this comparing my rocky talkies vs motorola's that were ~35 a pop -- much clearer audio, better range, and better battery life.

I have a feeling that while all say "2W" the way that 2W works out is different. Just like the Link 2.0s aren't the same quality as cheap blister packs that say 2W on them.
    There is an exception with most blister pack radios, channels 8 through 14 are limited to half a watt. So depending on that, you will notice a difference.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Family_Radio_Service

I suspect, (some HAM radio pro here can correct my wild guess here please).
    if you throw a untuned ham stubby/shorty on a baofeng 5W radio,
    you will probably lose 3db compared to the blister pack antenna.
    So you just lost the difference in power to the 2W radio with the tuned antenna.

A quick google search:

TWO-WAY RADIOS
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...Two-way-Radios

DO IT ALL PORTABLE CB/WALKIE/RADIO/SCANNER
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...-radio-scanner

TWO-WAY RADIO RECS? (2015)
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...io-Recs-(2015)

2-WAY RADIOS REVIEW – FRS, TALKABOUT, HAM, BCA, FOR BACKCOUNTRY SKIING
    https://www.wildsnow.com/5854/2-way-...talkie-review/

NEW FCC RULES MAY CHANGE FRS/GMRS WALKIE RADIOS
    from wildsnow https://www.wildsnow.com/23649/new-f...s-gmrs-radios/
    In search of diversion, many crew Members defy the quarantine restrictions and pick up pets from the various habitable worlds they explore (Sure Thing, Isaac Asimov). Quando omni flunkus, moritati (always recite before the Possum Lodge Word Game).

Backcountry Radios -- experience, recommendations, questions

I think it really comes down to usage amount. Midlands work great for most people unless you want to commit to a Link system. Our org uses Link2.0, its great, but Id be had d pressed to pay for them personally

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Question for people who use the BCA radios. I'm having a hard time figuring out the best place/way to clip the mic part to my backpack straps. I've got an ARVA airbag, and the clip doesn't like the thicker shoulder pads and falls off all the time. I can clip it to the chest strap, but that's a pain because I have to unclip it every time I take the pack off.

Anyone run into this or have any solutions?

Quote Originally Posted by Backward_Banana View Post
    Question for people who use the BCA radios. I'm having a hard time figuring out the best place/way to clip the mic part to my backpack straps. I've got an ARVA airbag, and the clip doesn't like the thicker shoulder pads and falls off all the time. I can clip it to the chest strap, but that's a pain because I have to unclip it every time I take the pack off.

Anyone run into this or have any solutions?
    Maybe wrap a voile strap or similar and attach to that. Mine clips onto a slit in the vest

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16

2018/2019 (24/32)

Not a full review but --

Used the Rockie Talkies for 3 ski days this week. Two dawn tours of 3-4hrs and a full ski day. I don't talk constantly/much on them. The two tours were cold (0-5F). Battery down to 85% after those three outings. No idea how linear it decreases.

Good, clear transmissions from Lift 6 at Loveland to the base of Loveland Valley.

As for the "flapping" -- just doesn't happen unless you're skiing really rowdy.