Arch pain while skinning

Hey mags, not sure if this is the right place to post this but I'll give it a shot. I've just started skinning around with my new set up to start to get some of the wrinkles ironed out and I get some pretty bad arch pain in my right foot.

I'm thinking I'll probably have to invest in a better foot bed than the ones I have currently (I think they're boot doctor reds) but I thought I'd post here first to see if there's anything else that could be done.

My boots are Dalbello Lupos, bought last year and skiid a couple days in resort last season. I dont get any arch pain while skiing, only when I'm skinning.

If it really just comes down to my foot beds does anyone have recommendations? I know a couple of my local shops have the ones you mold on the gel thingy, not sure what they're called but I thought theyd be more custom then the ones I have

Any info or input is much appreciated

I might get arch/footpains skinning at start of season maybe your feet are not match-fit for the up track ?

I have a large quiver of foot beds but I like off-the-rack SOLE foot beds

which may not work for you cuz every foot is different
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Stretch your calves. Until then use your heel lifters.

My arches get crushed the first couple tours as well and then i don't notice it again the rest of the season. Guess it's a foot strength thing?

My first guess is weak feet. You can slowly and firmly roll the soles of your feet over a lacrosse ball to break up the knots and get back to normal more quickly. Then use your feet more so it doesn't happen again.

Guess number two is that you haven't done much skinning before and you're doing some weird shit with your foot, probably engaging the muscle in your arch because you're tense. This could be exacerbated by your boots being too big as "flexing" you foot can stop it from sliding around in a too-big boot. Relax your feet. Get boots that fit if you need to.

If you've been running/hiking/ (or whatever) a lot recently and can rule out weak feet, and you have done a bunch BC skiing in the past and are sure you aren't engaging your foot muscles for no fucking reason at all, you might pay attention to how your footbed is or isn't allowing your foot to move inside your boot. Then you could try different off-the-shelf footbeds and walk around to feel for improvements, or better yet, talk to a boot fitter about what you're noticing and ask for help.

But it's probably weak feet and It'll probably go away. It has happened to me when coming off an injury.

Sweet, great info guys! I'll just keep going at it and work at stretching, and rolling my feet out as well

Sounds like touring is new to you.

Slide don't step or stomp.

Bunching up your toes because you're feeling like the skins won't stick. Maybe they're not because you're not setting a good skin track.

Too much lifter.

Or not enough.

1000 strides to learn 1 good one. You'll get there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Do you wear footbeds or anything in regular shoes also? Could be if it is just one foot a case of not enough or too much arch support on the foot that is having the issue. Or if could just be a case of that foot being smaller or more likely larger and having a pressure point. Any issue with plantar fasciitis? Internet Doctor can be hard to determine.

Make sure your boots are in walk mode.. I know.. I know, but step number 1! Step 2 - you may need to loosen up the boots quite a bit to be comfy on the skin track

Secondly, your goal is to slide the skin, not pick it up much at all - I find if my stride isn’t long enough it can cramp/tense up some things

Now practice in the yard with a beer

Ps. Yes to good foot beds made in a shop.

Quote Originally Posted by RShea View Post
    Do you wear footbeds or anything in regular shoes also? Could be if it is just one foot a case of not enough or too much arch support on the foot that is having the issue. Or if could just be a case of that foot being smaller or more likely larger and having a pressure point. Any issue with plantar fasciitis? Internet Doctor can be hard to determine.
    Nope, no foot beds in any other footwear and I haven't had issues with plantar fasciitis. But now that you mention it, it does seem like my right boot is a bit more snug than my left

x2 on stretching out the calves.

My arches were killing me the first few runs yesterday (not skinning). After I was warmed up and stretched out no issues. Relax your foot, too

Your feet hurt because Ullr hates m series JONGs
    change your handle & your pain will leave you
    PM me your favorite stashes, I'll send you a pic of skidog's tits

I've had some intermittent arch pain while skinning. For me, it seems related to not having enough room for my feet to swell a little. My foot is fat in the arch area, my abductor hallucis is fucking swole. I've found that removing the insole in my touring boots (that are quite tight) helps a lot. As my boots are packing out a little, I've started using the very thin stock insole.

FWIW I haven't had any other foot issues. I don't wear any special insoles while alpine skiing, running, or hiking. I also walk barefoot a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by m1b8ac View Post
    Nope, no foot beds in any other footwear and I haven't had issues with plantar fasciitis. But now that you mention it, it does seem like my right boot is a bit more snug than my left
    Measure both feet for a start. Did you have any custom fitting or work done on the ski boots when you got them? See what happens with the suggestions of making sure you are fully in walk mode, that you are gliding and not post holing the ski by lifting it up and putting it back on the snow. Finally is it better with the boot a bit more loose? Test with out the foot bed that came with the ski or even a slightly thinner sock on the foot. Where is the pain - bottom of the arch- where the tendons run up to the toes, or on the top of the arch area where the bones are supporting the foot and toes.

Quote Originally Posted by RShea View Post
    Measure both feet for a start. Did you have any custom fitting or work done on the ski boots when you got them? See what happens with the suggestions of making sure you are fully in walk mode, that you are gliding and not post holing the ski by lifting it up and putting it back on the snow. Finally is it better with the boot a bit more loose? Test with out the foot bed that came with the ski or even a slightly thinner sock on the foot. Where is the pain - bottom of the arch- where the tendons run up to the toes, or on the top of the arch area where the bones are supporting the foot and toes.
    I'll see about having the boots more loose although I'm not sure how much more I can loosen them before I just have the clips fully off. The tongues have to be removed before walking which feels like removes most of the stiffness. I'd say the pain is close to the ball of my foot, maybe half way between the ball and top of the arch.

Only thing I've had done to the boot is the initial heat molding, so it will probably pack out more with use? I think I'll try with the stock insole to see what difference that makes too.

Quote Originally Posted by m1b8ac View Post
    I'll see about having the boots more loose although I'm not sure how much more I can loosen them before I just have the clips fully off. The tongues have to be removed before walking which feels like removes most of the stiffness. I'd say the pain is close to the ball of my foot, maybe half way between the ball and top of the arch.

Only thing I've had done to the boot is the initial heat molding, so it will probably pack out more with use? I think I'll try with the stock insole to see what difference that makes too.
    So more of an issue with the tendons that run down to the toes (bottom of foot)? Any arthritis issues? I'd try the boots with as thin of insole you can (if that is going back to the stock insole, then so be it). So you do have 3rd party insoles in the boots of some brand and type?? Stretch and do some of the suggested rolling the foot with a ball under it (tennis ball, lacrosse, or golf ball are some suggestions) to massage the foot and area... Or go to a boot fitter that can personally look at your foot and the boots and see if they have any suggested fixes.