Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Pool Tables/Billiards - Discussion and Help

Any mags have a table at home and want to share pics?

I searched around and didn't see a thread on this. Any mags have a pool table? We are re-arranging our home office and the wife would like a pool table. My parents had one of the refurbished bar tables when I was growing up and I enjoyed playing, but I know very little and am looking for some guidance. A couple questions I have so far and apologies that these are in random order:

Are any brands better then others? I would like to keep it under $5k with delivery/felting. Which brands should I look at?

Internal or external pockets? Lighter would probably be better (second floor).

I assume a standard 2X8 joisted floor can hold a normal table without issue?

Opinions on size? The space I have is 13' x 13'...kind of. There is an extra couple feet one side of that where a standing desk and stationary bike are and then another 4ft on each of the other sides, but the ceilings are lower then 6ft on these sides as it is an above garage apartment with angled ceilings. Can I fit an 8ft table, or be safe and stick to 7ft? What length cue does a normal male adult use (obviously that is a factor for table size). Room is actually 19' by 15.' Walls are 42" tall at 19ft. Ceiling is 88" in center of room. 8ft wide in center. I will post picture for reference in second post.

Is the slate two pieces and then they bring the table in, assemble and an expert installs the felt, or does the top ship with felt already on it, etc.? Logistics of bringing into a house would seem to dictate a new table would come in pieces.

Is the ping pong add on a waste of money that never gets used?

Anyone have experience with Fox Hot Tubs, Billiards & Games in Edwards Colorado? Looks like they sell Olhausen tables. Are they quality? Any other suggestions for places to shop that could deliver to Basalt, CO without a huge upcharge? Will a Denver place deliver up here or any West slope shops you might suggest?

Thanks for the help as always.
    Last edited by gretch6364; 11-23-2020 at 12:52 PM.
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1606158737.283484.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	221.9 KB 
ID:	349437

Yes, there is some junk that needs disposed of and I am in the process of replacing the door...lol.

Table would run left to right length wise. Bike would move to left behind door, desk would stay on right.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

With the bars being closed for extended periods of time,. I suspect your not in the minority looking into this. I grew up with a table in the house and had friends who had very nice table's in very large rooms build for the table. The 7 foot bar table is more friendly to most people.
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

Quote Originally Posted by gretch6364 View Post
    I assume a standard 2X6 joisted floor can hold a normal table without issue?
    jesus fuck no

if the dogs pees, expect it to trickle & pool at the center span

are the walls below 6' on center?

I would look on Facebook marketplace and Craigslist. Always tons of reasonably priced tables there. Poke around on Ebay too. Understand that the manufacturers have tables at all price levels, from an entry level table to tournament tables.

Standard pool cues are 58" long. Looks like a 7 foot table would be about max. The critical thing I didn't see was how are you going to access the room? Do you have to disassemble to get over the garage?

If you want a good table, look at a Diamond or Brunswick. Olhausen isn't bad either. Diamonds are one piece slate and are difficult to disassemble. Brunswick's can come apart and the slate is usually in three pieces. Makes it easier. If the table doesn't disassemble, the felt will usually be on it. If you are looking at a multi slate table, yep, you have to re-felt. Good felt, Simonis, will be $500-800 plus install. You can also pick up a Valley bar-box pretty cheap.

A Diamond 7 foot ProAm weighs about 800 pounds.

You can put whatever you want into one. If you aren't a serious shooter, look at some of the decorative tables. If you plan on getting serious, look at a Brunswick Gold Crown 4, 5, or 6, or a Diamond ProAm. If you want to improve your game, look for tight pockets. If you want to bang balls, get a 4 1/2" pocket.

You can also look for some of the older classics. I have a 1943 Brunswick Anniversary I am refinishing. I paid $500 for it, and will have $3-4,000 in new parts and pieces.
    In order to properly convert this thread to a polyasshat thread to more fully enrage the liberal left frequenting here...... (insert latest democratic blunder of your choice).

Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    jesus fuck no

Apologies, they are 2x8s for the joist. 15" center. When looking at the picture I posted, the 2x8s run left to right. Those 2X8s span 9'6" with a double 2x10 beam running lengthwise, sitting on top of a 2x4 wall. I went a measured where I have the garage ceiling opened. The house also has all 2x6 exterior walls, sheeting on both sides.

I didnt have a chance to read back pages so sorry if i repeated anyone
    Fuck billiards
    Get a bumper pool table and a dart board
    Done

Quote Originally Posted by TNKen View Post
    I would look on Facebook marketplace and Craigslist. Always tons of reasonably priced tables there. Poke around on Ebay too. Understand that the manufacturers have tables at all price levels, from an entry level table to tournament tables.

Standard pool cues are 58" long. Looks like a 7 foot table would be about max. The critical thing I didn't see was how are you going to access the room? Do you have to disassemble to get over the garage?

If you want a good table, look at a Diamond or Brunswick. Olhausen isn't bad either. Diamonds are one piece slate and are difficult to disassemble. Brunswick's can come apart and the slate is usually in three pieces. Makes it easier. If the table doesn't disassemble, the felt will usually be on it. If you are looking at a multi slate table, yep, you have to re-felt. Good felt, Simonis, will be $500-800 plus install. You can also pick up a Valley bar-box pretty cheap.

A Diamond 7 foot ProAm weighs about 800 pounds.

You can put whatever you want into one. If you aren't a serious shooter, look at some of the decorative tables. If you plan on getting serious, look at a Brunswick Gold Crown 4, 5, or 6, or a Diamond ProAm. If you want to improve your game, look for tight pockets. If you want to bang balls, get a 4 1/2" pocket.

You can also look for some of the older classics. I have a 1943 Brunswick Anniversary I am refinishing. I paid $500 for it, and will have $3-4,000 in new parts and pieces.
    Thanks for all the info TNK. Yes, the table is going to have to come through the door I am standing in for the picture. There is a deck there and stairs. I can take the railing off if needed. Definitely guessing people sell off their tables cheap, but I would really like one that matches the color of the knotty alder cabinets. Might be hard to find used and my fear with used is me trying to take it apart, then trying to get it up the stairs, then finding someone that will come here and re-felt it.

Mandatory request for pics of wife in a short skirt and low cut top before offering advice. Very critical information for pool tables.
    I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.

Quote Originally Posted by 3s View Post
    I didnt have a chance to read back pages so sorry if i repeated anyone
    Fuck billiards
    Get a bumper pool table and a dart board
    Done
    Well, there is only one page, and it looks like you maybe missed the part where I said "my wife wants a pool table." I have no say in this...lol

https://www.sears.com/fitness-sports...s/b-1340961322

speaking from experience, after the initial excitement of obtaining the pool table wears off, it will see very little actual use.

Quote Originally Posted by DJSapp View Post
    Mandatory request for pics of wife in a short skirt and low cut top before offering advice. Very critical information for pool tables.
    Was shooting Tuesday night. Leggy gal in stilettoes, skirt barely covered her ass, and the front cut down to about her naval came in to shoot. Face wasn't much, but the rest was sharp enough to turn every head in the room. Then she realized she was putting on a show, sat down, and put a jacket over her legs. LOL

Shooting in a pool tournament Saturday night and some of the members in the 9:00-2:00 crowd were pretty sharp.

Finished up at 3:45 am when I fucking dogged a shot on the 8 ball. My team finished second, thanks to my inability to thin an 8 ball in the side after missing my cue ball position by 2". All in front of about 30 of my friends. Beaten by a 14 year old gal. Still fucking pissed off.
    In order to properly convert this thread to a polyasshat thread to more fully enrage the liberal left frequenting here...... (insert latest democratic blunder of your choice).

Thanks for all the info TNK. Yes, the table is going to have to come through the door I am standing in for the picture. There is a deck there and stairs. I can take the railing off if needed. Definitely guessing people sell off their tables cheap, but I would really like one that matches the color of the knotty alder cabinets. Might be hard to find used and my fear with used is me trying to take it apart, then trying to get it up the stairs, then finding someone that will come here and re-felt it.
    Look around and don't jump too fast. There is probably a pool table mechanic (that's what they are called) local to you that can give you some good advice and help you find a usable table. Call your local pool hall if you want a name. Watch out, they are all pretty seedy characters.

Quote Originally Posted by TNKen View Post
    Look around and don't jump too fast. There is probably a pool table mechanic (that's what they are called) local to you that can give you some good advice and help you find a usable table. Call your local pool hall if you want a name. Watch out, they are all pretty seedy characters.
    Thanks TNK. I just got off the phone with a guy name Paul that runs a shop doing sales, installs, repairs, felting, etc. here on the Western Slope. He reps Golden West and Olhausen. I am guessing if I found a used one, he would be able to be contracted for the disassembly, refelting, etc.

Any thoughts on Golden West? He seems focused on manufacturers making tables in the states, which could be a good or bad thing I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    jesus fuck no

You would put a n exctra piece of subfloor under the table to make it level and sold as hell
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

They are pretty simple piece of kit. No contractors are going to be needed. You should be able to do this yourself very easily.

Quote Originally Posted by m2711c View Post
    They are pretty simple piece of kit. No contractors are going to be needed. You should be able to do this yourself very easily.
    I don't have the muscle to move it into the house or the know how to install the surface.

Ok yer (not) gunna die
    Carry on

Thanks TNK. I just got off the phone with a guy name Paul that runs a shop doing sales, installs, repairs, felting, etc. here on the Western Slope. He reps Golden West and Olhausen. I am guessing if I found a used one, he would be able to be contracted for the disassembly, refelting, etc.

Any thoughts on Golden West? He seems focused on manufacturers making tables in the states, which could be a good or bad thing I guess.
    Never heard of Golden West. Olhausen has been making good tables for years. Remember, he doesn't want to just do a set up, he wants to sell you a table.

Diamonds are made in Indiana. Hit or miss whether you get a US or China made Brunswick.

Brunswick and Olhausen are the gold standard. US Brunswicks can't be beat.

13x13 is not big enough for any pool table, except maybe bumper pool.

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-11-23 at 3.11.04 PM.png 
Views:	65 
Size:	111.5 KB 
ID:	349475

here's mine 8x4 Brunswick. solid cherry, 2 pieces of solid slate I think 1 1/4"

Name:	IMG_1421.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	841.8 KB 
ID:	349474
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Looks awesome schindler. The room is actually 19' by 15', but it has the angled ceilings and I wanted to leave a desk in place. The 13ft measure is where the ceiling get lower then 6ft. So a 7ft table give you about 2ft on each side for someone taller then 6ft to walk around without ducking. In talking with the dealer/salesman, it is going to be a 7ft table.

I will say, it feels a bit odd to me that the more ornate tables cost more then the straight edge tables, which would have less work to manufacture. I like the Olhausen Youngstown, but it is priced several thousand more then the Breckenridge.

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    Brunswick and Olhausen are the gold standard. US Brunswicks can't be beat.

13x13 is not big enough for any pool table, except maybe bumper pool.

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-11-23 at 3.11.04 PM.png 
Views:	65 
Size:	111.5 KB 
ID:	349475

here's mine 8x4 Brunswick. solid cherry, 2 pieces of solid slate I think 1 1/4"
    If you are going to do this, an 8' table is WORLDS better than a 7' table. 9' is better than 8', but 8' is not a problem. 7' is only if there is no way to get an 8' in the space, though.

I feel like 7' pool is a different game.

Quote Originally Posted by EWG View Post
    If you are going to do this, an 8' table is WORLDS better than a 7' table. 9' is better than 8', but 8' is not a problem. 7' is only if there is no way to get an 8' in the space, though.

I feel like 7' pool is a different game.
    Yeah...the table growing up was a 6ft table and the room was only 11ft wide...but 21ft long. I think you could play on an 8ft in the room, but you would always be bending over when walking around it...hitting your head, etc.

That Breckenridge is a nice table, too.

I love nice tables.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Golden west tables dont have a great rep.

Its true that most home tables dont end up getting a lot of play, but if you catch the bug, you’re going to want to have good equipment.