Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by gretch6364 View Post
    Looks awesome schindler. The room is actually 19' by 15', but it has the angled ceilings and I wanted to leave a desk in place. The 13ft measure is where the ceiling get lower then 6ft. So a 7ft table give you about 2ft on each side for someone taller then 6ft to walk around without ducking. In talking with the dealer/salesman, it is going to be a 7ft table.

I will say, it feels a bit odd to me that the more ornate tables cost more then the straight edge tables, which would have less work to manufacture. I like the Olhausen Youngstown, but it is priced several thousand more then the Breckenridge.
    I like your style. Wife wants it. As maggots, calls pro. It's gonna be in before Christmas. Now you need to figure out stools and table. People need to sit and watch the table
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

Anyone know anything about AE Schmidt?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

I would think you can get away with a foot or a little more of less- than -full- height headroom. The room you need is the length of the table plus the length of the cue, but if you're playing a cue ball on the rail you'll be leaning forward and the cue will be sticking out behind you into the space below the sloped ceiling. If you want to get fancy you can get a stick the length of the cue you want and play an imaginary ball at the edge of the imaginary table and figure it out exactly.

I grew up with a 9' table in the house in a room that was too narrow on one side of the table (there was a woodstove on the other side so it couldn't move that way). Made me a better player. Also there's lots of shorty cues available for the shots you just can't get to. Amazon has a bunch.

3x7 and 5x9 are mutant.

8-ball and its cousins were meant to be played on a 4x8 table.

That is all.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Tape out a 7 foot table, get something 58" long and see how it goes. I think you will be pretty good. And, pick up a shorty kid's cue.

Poked around on the Golden West tables. I would avoid. Olhausen by far. Ask the mechanic if you found a table would he move it.

When you decide you need a good cue, here is an option.
    https://www.cornerstonecues.com/product/arthur-cue-4/
    In order to properly convert this thread to a polyasshat thread to more fully enrage the liberal left frequenting here...... (insert latest democratic blunder of your choice).

Quote Originally Posted by TNKen View Post
    Tape out a 7 foot table, get something 58" long and see how it goes. I think you will be pretty good. And, pick up a shorty kid's cue.

Poked around on the Golden West tables. I would avoid. Olhausen by far. Ask the mechanic if you found a table would he move it.
    Thanks TNK. I agree on avoiding Golden West. He said he would send me pricing on the Breck and Youngstown. I am also looking at AE Schmidt. Any thoughts on those?

It appears this is going to cost me $1500 or so more then I wanted. I would love to find a used one as tables seem to be about worthless used. I just have not seen any yet that have the "rustic" look. If it was a game room in the basement, it probably wouldn't matter as much what it looks like. I really do want an 8ft table, and when I lay out a tape, it doesn't seem like it would be a problem outside of a ball up against the end rail and shooter is shooting lengthwise...but before I order, I will put up some saw horses and play around with a broom stick. I want to give it a week of looking for a used one.
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...code=undefined

If my wife could stomach the look of this Olhausen table...it only $1K

I am also looking at AE Schmidt. Any thoughts on those?

I really do want an 8ft table, and when I lay out a tape, it doesn't seem like it would be a problem outside of a ball up against the end rail and shooter is shooting lengthwise...but before I order, I will put up some saw horses and play around with a broom stick.
    No clue on a Schmidt. Never heard of them. (not a good sign).

Going to be kind of tough to do an end-table break if you can't take a full stroke from the end. I typically break from the side, but occasionally do an end-table break when I can't make a ball fall from my normal position. Lots of shots occur from the table ends. Favorite defensive strategy is to leave the object ball on one end and the cue ball on the other end rail.
    In order to properly convert this thread to a polyasshat thread to more fully enrage the liberal left frequenting here...... (insert latest democratic blunder of your choice).

Thanks TNK. I agree on avoiding Golden West. He said he would send me pricing on the Breck and Youngstown. I am also looking at AE Schmidt. Any thoughts on those?

It appears this is going to cost me $1500 or so more then I wanted. I would love to find a used one as tables seem to be about worthless used. I just have not seen any yet that have the "rustic" look. If it was a game room in the basement, it probably wouldn't matter as much what it looks like. I really do want an 8ft table, and when I lay out a tape, it doesn't seem like it would be a problem outside of a ball up against the end rail and shooter is shooting lengthwise...but before I order, I will put up some saw horses and play around with a broom stick. I want to give it a week of looking for a used one.
    Or just stick with the sawhorses, a sheet of plywood, and the broomstick. All you would need to buy are the balls. Save a lot of money.

If you buy used, be sure the bumpers haven’t gotten hard; it’s a problem with cheaper older tables.

Thanks Flyover. In looking, it definitely seems like I should watch for a used Olhausen that the wife can stomach the look of. The prices are crazy.

I am pretty confident I could take one apart and assuming the slate is two or three pieces, I can get it upstairs.

My question is...when you take one down, do you always have to buy new felt? What kind of money and I am looking at for refelting and leveling from a pro? So I can factor into price.

If the table has multi piece slate, if you are careful you can get the cloth off. Use an adhesive called Super 77 to reinstall.

Fair warning, they are a pain to take apart, especially if you aren't familiar with it. There is the rail system that comes off the slate, skirts, table frame system that supports the slate, and the legs. If the slate is 1", it will take at least two strong guys to move, even if it is a two or three piece table. Remember, a 7' Diamond is 800 pounds. Breaking it into components is still a chore and heavy.

Quote Originally Posted by m2711c View Post
    speaking from experience, after the initial excitement of obtaining the pool table wears off, it will see very little actual use.
    one came with the house when we bought it in 1998. this x like a thousand.

BTW anybody remember this? been jonesing to get one.

Name:  table golf.jpg
Views: 1092
Size:  143.3 KB
    "Can't you see..."

That is why I am searching for used now. It seems like a lot of people buy them and then never play. Since my parents had one...I know how much I would use it.

So many of the used tables are just so ugly...lol. If I had the room, I would buy one of those Brunswick space age looking table. They are sweet!

We had an 8' AMF Playmaster growing up. I guess it's mine if I get it out of storage. I'd like to play somewhat seriously again.

And I'll second the wall impeding shots - I learned really fast that I could use that to my advantage on my home table.

Any input on if I am better with a 7ft table and longer cues, or an 8ft table and shorter cues?

I am right in between and a 7ft is probably better....but there are metric shit ton of used 8ft table for cheap.

Pool Tables/Billiards - Discussion and Help

Any input on if I am better with a 7ft table and longer cues, or an 8ft table and shorter cues?

I am right in between and a 7ft is probably better....but there are metric shit ton of used 8ft table for cheap.

Wife put on the brakes after I put up saw horses. Gotta go 7ft. Booo

You will definitely be a better player on a 7 foot table than an eight foot table. Also, if you get a table that is too small for the room, you won't enjoy it as much. Certainly, I don't buy into the theory above that playing in shitty conditions makes one a better player.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Pool Tables/Billiards - Discussion and Help

Getting ready to order a Diamond Professional 7ft. Hopefully it takes no more then 3 months. TNK really steered me right. I have learned that almost all other tables are basically furniture and the Diamonds are built to last and be moved if needed. Love the design of their wedge system.

Diamonds seem to be the only table that is worth more then 15% of what you laid new if reselling.

I wouldn’t of even known about them without the mags and probably would of over paid for a Golden West table.

Last edited by gretch6364; 11-25-2020 at 08:42 PM.

here’s a basic tutorial on achieving the true level necessary for a decent billiards table.....

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    Certainly, I don't buy into the theory above that playing in shitty conditions makes one a better player.
    Let's play next time I'm out there. I'm like a Dominican shortstop who grew up playing with a cardboard glove and a ball of tape for a ball. It's all so easy when the field is nice.

edit: well maybe not exactly like that
    Last edited by ötzi; 11-25-2020 at 09:55 PM.

Getting ready to order a Diamond Professional 7ft. Hopefully it takes no more then 3 months. TNK really steered me right. I have learned that almost all other tables are basically furniture and the Diamonds are built to last and be moved if needed. Love the design of their wedge system.

Diamonds seem to be the only table that is worth more then 15% of what you laid new if reselling.

I wouldn’t of even known about them without the mags and probably would of over paid for a Golden West table.

Send pics when it arrives. Next addiction is cues.

www.cornerstonecues.com

Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post
    Let's play next time I'm out there. I'm like a Dominican shortstop who grew up playing with a cardboard glove and a ball of tape for a ball. It's all so easy when the field is nice.

edit: well maybe not exactly like that
    Just read this: FKNA funny
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1617671785.985835.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	244.8 KB 
ID:	370559

The conclusion....