BCA Link 2.0 Radio design?

Anyone else have this issue with the BCA Link 2.0 radios?

I went to charge up the radios for the season and noticed that one of the radios was not turning on or when it did it was intermittent.

I looked at the connection between the radio speaker/control and the battery/antennae and noticed the little plastic "hinge" that holds the cable onto the body of the radio was broken, the screw that holds the connector on is fine. If the plastic connector isn't latched in, the screw on the cable is pretty much useless.

Why such a shoddy design of a communication device for backcountry use in the cold that could potentially get broken at what is clearly the weakest link of the design. BCA, why not design a connector that doesn't involve using a small and potentially brittle small piece of plastic in the body of the connector and not some sort of better connection design, something simply like two screws to keep the connector in place.

Anyone else have any issues with this and if so, did BCA make it right or do you now have a useless radio without having to rubberband or strap the connector on?

BCA is good if you talk with them. They don’t want to have an unsafe safety device. Version 1 had issues and they have been fixed IMO on version 2. I have not had any issues as long as stored properly in backpack.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

A friend who does comms at Yellowstone Park turned me onto these

https://baofengtech.com/product-category/handheld/
    If you have someone who’s savy and can program them to work with BCAs radios they sound like a really good alternative. Waaay more range to.
    I struggle to keep my mic connected on my bca 1.0 when I’m sledding. Your issues with the 2.0 are swaying me away from buying another BCA radio...

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Lots of good baofengtech options -- but be aware that many of them are far over the legal limit of what you're allowed to use w/o a license (2W).

I've been testing these recently as a lower cost (<1/2 price)/smaller alternative to the BCA Link. So far, pretty impressed. The leashing/attachment system is particularly nice. https://rockytalkie.com/products/rocky-talkie . Only had a handful of days out, and nothing cold enough yet to speak to very low temp performance. Fuller review to follow.

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    Lots of good baofengtech options -- but be aware that many of them are far over the legal limit of what you're allowed to use w/o a license (2W).

I've been testing these recently as a lower cost (<1/2 price)/smaller alternative to the BCA Link. So far, pretty impressed. The leashing/attachment system is particularly nice. https://rockytalkie.com/products/rocky-talkie . Only had a handful of days out, and nothing cold enough yet to speak to very low temp performance. Fuller review to follow.
    I like the built in 'biner attachment (good choice in 'biners, too ). The integrity of the umbilical in two piece radios has always bugged me, given how we handle our packs when rummaging through things. I say this without having handled the BCAs.

Waiting on your follow-up.

[edit] Especially interested in interference with beacons. For that matter, I'm also interested in the BCA and all other radios with respect to this. It looks like a different frequency band (462-467 MHz)

... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 11-23-2020 at 07:43 PM.
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

I was looking for a cheaper option than the BCA and ended up getting these: https://www.amazon.com/Radioddity-Ta.../dp/B081JYX1RH

Can very easily be programmed to work with the same channels as the BCA and the radio is small enough that I can fit it in the wrist pass pocket of a Strafe Cham jacket, so should be able to simply raise my wrist to my mouth, press the PTT button through to jacket, and talk without requiring an external mic. Skiing with it in that wrist pocket might be super annoying, but they're cheap.

this looks great, used it with a BCA yet? looks like you just have to turn off the privacy channel on the BCA?

Quote Originally Posted by Skeeze View Post
    I was looking for a cheaper option than the BCA and ended up getting these: https://www.amazon.com/Radioddity-Ta.../dp/B081JYX1RH

Can very easily be programmed to work with the same channels as the BCA and the radio is small enough that I can fit it in the wrist pass pocket of a Strafe Cham jacket, so should be able to simply raise my wrist to my mouth, press the PTT button through to jacket, and talk without requiring an external mic. Skiing with it in that wrist pocket might be super annoying, but they're cheap.
    I did this for a season, worked really well, was much less annoying to ski with than you'd think. Sorta think it may have been easier to use than BCA. Lighter for sure.

I've used the BCA 1.0 for years now and love it for both inbounds and backcountry skiing. I'm hard-pressed to not use them, actually. Myself and others have jammed the mic with snow many times - this seems to happen more to some than others - I didn't know about the Frogskins mesh cover thing - good idea!

My biggest annoyance is just moving it from pack to pack. I could get two.... but that's pricey and just seems excessive. I find the cord easier to route through my Osprey touring back hydration hose compartment than my BCA airbag back that was supposed to be design for it. YRMV

Someone should post pics of what the OP is talking about.

FYI - A baofengtech at 5W isn't likely to be as strong as a BCA at 2W.
    The BCA has a tuned antenna and the baofengtech is probably a wider range ham frequency antenna.
    You could get a baofengtech and then a proper tuned FRS/GSMR antenna.
    But ... you have to dial in specific frequencies for the baofengtech.

The BCA is turnkey.
    The baofengtech also has problems with low quality radio attachments and water ingress.
    Stick with a blister pack or BCA. DIY a fix for the bad connector.
    OH, MY GAWD! ―John Hillerman  Big Billie Eilish fan.
    But that's a quibble to what PG posted (at first, anyway, I haven't read his latest book) ―jono
    we are not arguing about ski boots or fashionable clothing or spageheti O's which mean nothing in the grand scheme ― XXX-er

Anyone with a season or two on the Rocky Talkies? Looking at getting some 2-way radios. BCA or these? Will use for skiing, climbing, and field work like trailbuilding, cutting trees, scouting, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnjam View Post
    Anyone else have this issue with the BCA Link 2.0 radios?

I went to charge up the radios for the season and noticed that one of the radios was not turning on or when it did it was intermittent.

I looked at the connection between the radio speaker/control and the battery/antennae and noticed the little plastic "hinge" that holds the cable onto the body of the radio was broken, the screw that holds the connector on is fine. If the plastic connector isn't latched in, the screw on the cable is pretty much useless.

Why such a shoddy design of a communication device for backcountry use in the cold that could potentially get broken at what is clearly the weakest link of the design. BCA, why not design a connector that doesn't involve using a small and potentially brittle small piece of plastic in the body of the connector and not some sort of better connection design, something simply like two screws to keep the connector in place.

Anyone else have any issues with this and if so, did BCA make it right or do you now have a useless radio without having to rubberband or strap the connector on?
    I just went through this with both of my radios. Yes horrible horrible design. BCA gave warranty replacements for both of them so I don’t complain about that but this design is prone to failure. I have a zip tie on each one now.

It's that time of year ... really curious about use reports on the Rocky Talkie. Hey @doebedoe ... how'd the first year work out for you?

I've never liked umbilicals for reasons of durability - no matter how well they're strain-reliefed.

Also, can the Rockies be dialed in to be compatible with your buddy's BCA system or with other radios?

... Thom
    Galibier Design

I've got a $25 baofeng, that I've beat the ever piss out of. I have it clipped to my shoulder strap around shoulder height. And I pretty much dump it into the snow everytime I take off my backpack. Hasn't broken yet in the past 3 years, but if it does I'll just purchase another $25 one.
    90% of skiing is just looking cool

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post

Also, can the Rockies be dialed in to be compatible with your buddy's BCA system or with other radios?

... Thom
    I don't see why not, both the rocky talkies and BCA are just bubble pack FRS radios...
    90% of skiing is just looking cool

Quote Originally Posted by f=ma View Post
    I don't see why not, both the rocky talkies and BCA are just bubble pack FRS radios...
    I figured as much. Thanks. I just dug into their FAQ and found this:
    Yes, the Rocky Talkie is compatible with other FRS and GMRS radios, and the first 22 channels will have matching frequencies.

The simplest way to communicate with other brands of radios is to match the channel number on both radios and also match the privacy code (sometimes called sub-channels) on both radios.
    ... Thom
    Galibier Design

BCA Link 2.0 Radio design?

I used a buddy’s rocky talkies on a fishing trip this summer and was very impressed with the volume, burliness/weight ratio, and ease of use
    Def better than my Motorola T600, tho not as waterproof

Been real happy with Rocky Talkies, good range (for FRS) and they last several days on a single charge.

I never updated on my Rocky Talkies. To sum up: highly impressed.

I put them through their paces over the past year as a recreationalist. Very good range, very good battery life, easy to use.
    - Range: No problem chatting from the top of 9 at Loveland down to the Valley. Able to chat with my buddy on a BCA Link 2 when he was at Herman Gulch TH and I was still up skiing around Watrous Gulch.
    - Battery life: Took them on a 3 day / 2 night spring skiing trip and left with plenty of charge left. Handle 4 days / 3 nights of use around the boundary waters this summer on one charge.
    - Durability: Lots of tossing them on the ground while on the pack, splashing and sitting in snow and they still look very good and work fine.
    - Ease of use: Charge relatively fast and easily with USB-C cable.
    - From factor: And--realize its highly personal--but I really like the leash / carabiner attachment system. I prefer the one piece design to BCAs two piece. Especially as I move between packs, lend one out to a friend to strap on or throw in their car for a road trip, etc.

YMMV, I've owned a number of "bubblepack" FRS radios from Motorola and others. The RTs are better in every way as far as form factor, audio clarity and battery life. Are they worth the premium over a Baofeng? I suppose it depends on how much the price difference matters to you. Are they a cheaper alternative at similar performance to a BCA Link? I think so.

Full disclosure: I didn't pay full price for them. Take it for what you will.

I've never used them but a podcast I listen to has advertisements from rocky talkie and if you use the code "sharpend" on their website it'll get you about 10% off.

I put them through their paces over the past year as a recreationalist. Very good range, very good battery life, easy to use.
    - Range: No problem chatting from the top of 9 at Loveland down to the Valley. Able to chat with my buddy on a BCA Link 2 when he was at Herman Gulch TH and I was still up skiing around Watrous Gulch.
    - Battery life: Took them on a 3 day / 2 night spring skiing trip and left with plenty of charge left. Handle 4 days / 3 nights of use around the boundary waters this summer on one charge.
    - Durability: Lots of tossing them on the ground while on the pack, splashing and sitting in snow and they still look very good and work fine.
    - From factor: And--realize its highly personal--but I really like the leash / carabiner attachment system. I prefer the one piece design to BCAs two piece. Especially as I move between packs, lend one out to a friend to strap on or throw in their car for a road trip, etc.

YMMV, I've owned a number of "bubblepack" FRS radios from Motorola and others. The RTs are better in every way as far as form factor, audio clarity and battery life. Are they worth the premium over a Baofeng? I suppose it depends on how much the price difference matters to you. Are they a cheaper alternative at similar performance to a BCA Link? I think so.

Quote Originally Posted by John_B View Post
    I've never used them but a podcast I listen to has advertisements from rocky talkie and if you use the code "sharpend" on their website it'll get you about 10% off.
    Thank you both - for the review and the code. I think I'll try a pair.

Thanks for the update. The form factor ('biner/umbilical backup) were key ergonomic features that jumped out at me, both for reasons of switching packs as well as handing over to a buddy, who might not be as careful with the electrical umbilical of the BCA as I might be.

Of course, I'm not immune to "blonde moments", and packs can get unwieldy if your skis are strapped on. Shoulder straps can twist and you can stress out the cord.

An umbilical design (electrical, on the BCA) seems to be a likely point of failure, irrespective of care taken both by the end user as well as in its design and execution.

I get the possible convenience factor of the two piece unit, but ultimate convenience comes from gear that doesn't break.

... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 09-06-2021 at 06:14 PM.
    Galibier Design

The umbilical seems a little silly for most ground based pursuits, mostly because you typically stop to use the unit & a drop isn’t perilous. But for climbing or fishing where a drop will disappear the unit quickly, it’s a decent “belt” to the “suspenders” of the carabiner.

For my needs, I removed the silicone protective sleeve / carabineer to minimize size. Silicone USB-C port plugs are cheap and keep out dust/sand.

Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    The umbilical seems a little silly for most ground based pursuits, mostly because you typically stop to use the unit & a drop isn’t perilous. But for climbing or fishing where a drop will disappear the unit quickly, it’s a decent “belt” to the “suspenders” of the carabiner.
    I totally agree. I think the RTs are definitely designed for climbing with emphasis on multi-pitch and have some great features for other summertime activities. The FRS system is widely compatible, making them great all-around and without a license.

I have the BCA 2.0s and have one that works great and the other doesn't. I think that the problem with mine is battery-related. A long day in the Never Winter touring drained the battery and an InReach and cut us off from emergency comms. Now, it seems to emit a low battery warning quickly and is unable to send or receive within a few hours in -5 to 0C weather.

I have owned and worked with multi-watt GMRS and have avoided the world of HAM to date. Looking around, I see a lot of folks using Baofeng HAM radios without a license and worry about the availability and lack of education could be endangering the whole HAM world and ecosystem. It would be sad to lose this freedom in the US if people abuse and misuse our RF spectrum with these radios. That said, a 9-year multi-watt GMRS license is $90 and includes your whole family.

I am currently looking to switch back to the 5W GMRS over the DMR and MURS standards. Having done some research, I am pretty confident that the $35 radios are typically the same internal components as a Baofeng but sometimes with a GMRS tuned antenna, providing superior reception. Radioddity was mentioned above and they seem to offer a great value. B-Tech is a Paofeng/Baofeng variant with FCC approval and scanning on UHF/VHF/NOAA/FM channels. The one I think may not be the best value is Rugged Radios. They seem to be Baofeng in a more "Toyota Tacoma"-friendly case and box for a lot more money.

Any additional thoughts on Raddioddity or B-Tech equipment? Anyone use the Wouxun radios?