Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Retailer shipped me two skis by mistake?

So I live in Canada. And pre-Covid I would get stuff shipped into a box in Sumas, WA, and go down and pick it up.

I figured as the border is likely gonna stay shut for a while, and I had bought a shell jacket and Pivot bindings last March, but hadn't grab them before Covid shut the border, and they were just sitting there, I should get the stuff. So I sold the Pivot bindings here on tgr (and the shipper nicely shipped for me from Sumas).

Then I called down and arranged for them to ship the ski jacket up to me in North Van.

As I was talking to them, I realized they also had a pair of skis there....with my name on it (from a big US ski retailer).

I last bought some old stock Black Crows Daemon skis in February, and so went down and grabbed them in early Feb. I haven’t been down there since. I vaguely remember getting a second delivery notice again in late Feb. ....but ignored it as I had already got the skis. And then the world shut down in mid March and I forgot about skiing for awhile.

UPS is set to deliver the skis here tomorrow. I know I only paid 1x (I re-checked the credit card and the order details at the retailer....I only bought one pair).

Another funny thing is that as they had already packaged the skis and jacket for me in Sumas, to ship to North Van, I wasn’t able to exactly confirm which skis they are? I’m pretty sure they must be the Daemon skis which I had bought, then skied just a few times and then sold in late Feb. Mainly I didn’t like the feel as I had mounted too far back.

What’s the ethical call here?

I’m thinking that the ski gods are trying to tell me to give this ski a second chance, at a +2cm mount?
    Last edited by kc_7777; 11-30-2020 at 06:20 PM.

Honestly I think the guilt will crush you over time. Send them to me for hassle free disposal.

If they have been sitting there since February the retailer doesn't know they screwed up.

Quote Originally Posted by N1CK. View Post
    Honestly I think the guilt will crush you over time. Send them to me for hassle free disposal.

If they have been sitting there since February the retailer doesn't know they screwed up.
    that's some top-shelf altruism

I’d tell the shop and make sure the manager knew my name... turning me into their favorite customer and then enjoy the 20% retail for the rest of my life. Or- whatever customer service would likely follow.

Or- cover up the truth (aka lie) and then pretend it wasn’t your fault when they figure out happened when some other dude didn’t get his skis for Christmas.

If they were the close out Daemons from STP I would give 0 fucks and mount them, ski them, and then, if I didn't like them, pass them on to a mag for a song.

If it's from some place like Evo...I'd still probably do the same but feel worse about it. If it was from a small shop, I might let them know.

Returnim and see if bookkeeping catches their error. Credit to your cc... winning and you did the right thjin
    ​I am not in your hurry

A similar situation happened to me. Well, with single malt whiskey and not skis, but perhaps a parallel can be drawn.
    I made an online order at a regional micro distillery for a few bottles, which included a bottle of their single malt release, for which I won a lottery draw for the chance to purchase. The package arrives, with my name on the exterior slip, but inside is 3 bottles of said single malt, and one of a blend matured in a rum cask. The slip inside had the original recipients name and order. It was worth twice my order. I called up the distillery and let em know of the mix-up, said I would keep the bottle I had ordered, and send the others either back to them or the original recipient upon receiving a prepaid courier label. And could they please send me the remaining products I had ordered. They said, thanks, keep what I had received, no hard feelings, do I still want the rest of my order shipped? I said I am happy with what I received, and that I would enjoy being a repeat customer at a future date.

Moral of story is one bottle was good, more was better, and a simple call to a small vendor strengthened our relationship, with no skin off my neck.

Karma... generally better to build up your balance vs. consume against it, especially on just dollars stuff. I'd get in touch with the retailer and see what they want. You may end up with free or super cheap skis, guilt free

Before you get too excited about the free skis you might want to check your credit card statement from Feb and March. You may have paid for them and not noticed.

Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    .... when some other dude didn’t get his skis for Christmas.
    ....assuming these are the Daemons....then these aren't skis that were supposed to be shipped to some other dude. These were skis I bought, where I bought 1 pair....but 2 pair were shipped to me (in error), and the extra pair has been sitting with my shipper since last Feb...unbeknownst to me until a few days ago.

If they're not the Daemons...then I really don't know?

It is big retailer, not a small ski shop.
    It is not a ski maker.

Not that the size of the company affects the ethical dilemma at all.

I double checked my credit card statements one more time. Only 1 cc payment to this company in Feb.

Lemme get em tomorrow and see what they actually are. I have 8 other pairs of nice skis....this is a first world problem sent to test me.
    Last edited by kc_7777; 11-22-2020 at 07:22 PM.

I had a fuel tank tool box combo show up one day from UWS, a real nice one. $1000. Two days later the same one shows up. I had only ordered one... from a big box store, I called Amex and made sure I only had one charge which I did and asked them what to do, they told me to keep it and it was the retailers problem. Which I did. I sold the second one to another local contractor for half the price of a new one and both of us made out. Never got a call about the second box... probably doesn’t help I don’t pick up numbers I think are spam.

That being said, if it had been straight from the manufacture or from a small mom and pop I definitely would have let them know. the big box store, well they can kiss my ass.

S a D Bezos.

Sent from my iPhone using SuckMyDickJerry

Related question... I buy stuff from Canada because the exchange rate means an instant 30% off sale. What you do get out of buying from the US? I would think everything would be more expensive for you?

Anyways, i once ordered a galaxy S9+ direct from Samsung, and they shipped me 2, while only charging me once. I kept both phones. Didn't feel bad at all.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by sierra_cement View Post
    Related question... I buy stuff from Canada because the exchange rate means an instant 30% off sale. What you do get out of buying from the US? I would think everything would be more expensive for you?

Anyways, i once ordered a galaxy S9+ direct from Samsung, and they shipped me 2, while only charging me once. I kept both phones. Didn't feel bad at all.

You know when you want a special cheese and have to drive to the fancy grocery store far away because you local store carries cheddar and “cheese”? It’s like that

Quote Originally Posted by sierra_cement View Post
    Thanks. I love the others guys on here who say ship it back, bad karma.

True....fair point....but it would be interesting to see what they would actually do if it happened to them. I’m undecided to be honest.

Re a Canadian buying gear in US....I buy most big (expensive) ski stuff in Canada (eg Corbetts) or local shops. I sell some stuff, sometimes on here or on ebay to the US....so then have US$ in my Paypal (PP rips you off on the exchange btw)....but then having those US$ helps if I’m buying stuff in US.... I only buy stuff from US that is 1 -2 years old, so heavily discounted, and not available in Canada. And that can ship for free. Eg bought some Rens for $440US last year direct from 4FRNT in March. That's still a good deal as they don't add any Canadian tax and they ship direct to Canada for free...
    Last edited by kc_7777; 11-22-2020 at 09:48 PM.

I don't understand why the size of the retailer matters. Just call them up and explain that your shipping provider has been holding a set of skis they sent to you from back if Feb that you didn't know about, and what should you do with them.

Besides just my own internal compass, I could never ski on a pair of skis that in anyway had bad mojo. It's a pair of skis, you have a ton, do the right thing.

Pretty simple really. If you want to keep them, just ask the shop how much do they want for them.

You ever find a wallet? Does it change whether there's $10 or $1000 in it?

Quote Originally Posted by kc_7777 View Post
    What’s the ethical call here?
    I think you know the answer to that question.

I'd find someone that hasn't been working due to the pandemic and donate the pair to them. I'll throw them a pair of 914's to mount, boom, make someone's winter.

Items were shipped to you in the USA. Pursuant to US law the skis are treated as a gift to you and are yours to keep.

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/article...ed-merchandise

an order was 8 months late and also incorrect

I betcha they would just say sorry we messed up, just keep the skis
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

So.....

I paid $90cdn to UPS + $80cdn in import duty/taxes to get these to me from Sumas, WA (to North Vancouver).

They were the Daemons. I looked at the order number on the box, and logged in to the retailer, with my email and that order number and there was no record. When I looked online at the order details for the first pair I received in February, that order is now gone from my order history. Strange.

Thought about shipping back down to the retailer in the US, which would be $50-$60cdn.

Put it out there to my buddies and a needy buddy (with crap skis) was glad to grab them for $400cdn ($300us).

Just gave $100 to the food bank cause of this.

My net profit approx. $400 - $90 ups - $80 ship - $100 donation = $130 cdn (which is my approx. hourly rate....and I spent about an hour dealing with this).

So $130 profit - "$130 lost opportunity cost of one hour " = $0 = karma

The accounting works. I'm good with this. Sleeping like a baby.

K

That is not how opportunity cost works.

Regardless - I would delete this thread right about now. Creating a paper trail seems a bit ill adviced to be honest.

My guess is the retailer is going to be ok with this... again no real legal recourse and in the end some Cash went to a food bank. Might be a little happier if $230 went to a food bank... but you gotta eat too.

Quote Originally Posted by kid-kapow View Post
    That is not how opportunity cost works.
    I know. But in my accounting mind I like shit to balance. So I made it balance.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Before you get too excited about the free skis you might want to check your credit card statement from Feb and March. You may have paid for them and not noticed.
    This goes in the first world problems thread.
    "Not noticing the price of a pair of skis coming out of account"
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

Quote Originally Posted by kc_7777 View Post
    I know. But in my accounting mind I like shit to balance. So I made it balance.

Snicker

Quote Originally Posted by MTT View Post
    This goes in the first world problems thread.
    "Not noticing the price of a pair of skis coming out of account"
    He was not. The first world problem was concerning the ethical implications of inadvertently getting free shit from major retailers due to errors done by said major retailer, and then capitalizing on it - be it from bro points, food bank karma points or whatever. In this case, the error has prob been written of as inventory error by said major retailer, and said bro and food bank is rejoicing. Jubilations.