Page 51 of 120 FirstFirst ... 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 ... LastLast
Results 1,251 to 1,275 of 2998
    Quote Originally Posted by phatty View Post
    So you can sit at home in the dark?

Power out again and mountain is closed all day. Was hoping to get up tonight.
    We have a 14kw generator plumbed to the propane lines, but yeah most houses are in the dark. We have to use it way too many damn days/yr, unfortunately.

180" in Dec and measurable snow accum 23 days in a row to close out the month!

Like a hard landing to be back at work this morning.

Glad you came out largely OK there Norse, just don't sneeze or fart for the next 4-6weeks and yer good.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

Glad you're all right. If you had looked up, what would you have done? Do you mean you would not have ventured out, or you would have had a few seconds more warning?

I figured there was always an attempt made to control the stuff above the traverse.
    that's all i can think of, but i'm sure there's something else...

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    I was one of the two who got hosed off the traverse.

Started out of Safety Trees after regrouping there... heard a jet engine sound, looked up and saw big blocks of snow tumbling amongst a powder cloud. Yelled "avalanche!" and turned downhill, somewhat instinctively but also because the debris appeared to be splitting on the minor fan below the couloir, so to continue another 15 feet on the traverse looked worse than turning down. Got maybe 20 feet downhill before becoming entrained. I believe that the downhill momentum worked out in my favor because I got tumbled with the big blocks instead of being knocked over and buried immediately by the loose debris. Did 3 or 4 forward somersaults, took some big hits by oven range sized blocks and breathed a little snow, but came out skiing with all my gear. Stopped, looked over to see Dan's hand waving above the snow... joined the others in the party with his extraction.

Ribs are broken and body is sore but glad to be upright.

LOOK UP on the damn traverse. Objective hazard lies up there despite stability below. I usually have a swivel head for the cornices but let the guard down this time. Could've avoided the whole mess just by paying a little closer attention.

Cheers
    Whoa! Glad you are safe, Norse! As I read the report, I had a feeling there were Mags involved. Bummer about the injury but it could have been so much worse. How's Dan doing?

Edelweiss Chair and beyond... Alpental , The valley and the rest of snocrummy

Good to hear you and your party are OK, Norseman. Heal up!

Heal up Norseman, glad it wasn’t worse than it was and hope your season isn’t impacted too much. Nice talking with you.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    I was one of the two who got hosed off the traverse.

Started out of Safety Trees after regrouping there... heard a jet engine sound, looked up and saw big blocks of snow tumbling amongst a powder cloud. Yelled "avalanche!" and turned downhill, somewhat instinctively but also because the debris appeared to be splitting on the minor fan below the couloir, so to continue another 15 feet on the traverse looked worse than turning down. Got maybe 20 feet downhill before becoming entrained. I believe that the downhill momentum worked out in my favor because I got tumbled with the big blocks instead of being knocked over and buried immediately by the loose debris. Did 3 or 4 forward somersaults, took some big hits by oven range sized blocks and breathed a little snow, but came out skiing with all my gear. Stopped, looked over to see Dan's hand waving above the snow... joined the others in the party with his extraction.

Ribs are broken and body is sore but glad to be upright.

LOOK UP on the damn traverse. Objective hazard lies up there despite stability below. I usually have a swivel head for the cornices but let the guard down this time. Could've avoided the whole mess just by paying a little closer attention.

Cheers
    Bummer, d00d. You and Alpy don't seem to be very good for you.
    Heal fast and well.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Damn Norse, glad you were able to come out of it. We were just over in Pineapple Pass and I too was a little too lax on being worried about objective overhead hazard after all the stability.

Hey Norse, glad this was not a worse outcome. Fast healing buddy. I thought that was a very good write up of the incident BTW.

Glad all are okay. Oven range size blocks sound pretty gnarly.

I’m sorry to hear about the injury, but relieved that you all avoided the worst outcome.

Glad you are ok Norse.

Feels like de ja vu with the damn power and i90...

Looks like alpental tomorrow night for me. Enjoy the freshies tomorrow morning.

Get well soon Norse. Glad it wasn't worse.
    License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations

Quote Originally Posted by counterfeitfake View Post
    Anyone know why the power has been such a problem? I don't remember it being such an issue in the past, I would have said the Summit is the least susceptible resort in the area.
    Probably from the summer's extreme heat weakening trees. The XC ski groomer at cabin creek says he can barely even groom since he's spent basically the whole month removing downed trees on the trail, way more than in past years.

Norse, so happy you are relatively okay! Thanks for both write-ups.

Everyone should read the NWAC summary/report. Good post-analysis and reminders that the side country is still BC and good practices should always be discussed. We have all gotten lax once in a while...

Thanks for the well wishes, all.

A place name correction: "Safe Not Safe Trees" is the proper name, not "Safety Trees" as was originally reported.

We are not the first party to have trouble at that spot.

Edelweiss Chair and beyond... Alpental , The valley and the rest of snocrummy

really hoping the ribs heal up fast mang.

Count my blessing to have such capable ski friends and to have been one who was able to avoid the brunt of this slide. Justin's write up is good reading to all of us that venture out the High T. Even on days when the majority of snow slopes are solid and stable like yesterday, there is always risk around us. The cornice and upper ridgeline wind loading that occurred overnight wasn't front of mind and its a vivid reminder to everyone to always be geared up and following good safety protocols.

Dan (non-mag) and Norse are both very fortunate our situation didn't pan out worse than it did. Especially Dan who just forgot to put on his transceiver. Stay alert amigos.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4846.JPG 
Views:	127 
Size:	241.8 KB 
ID:	399582Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4848.JPG 
Views:	140 
Size:	218.2 KB 
ID:	399583

Damn Norse.

Glad you're ok!

We should start a broken ribs club. This time around hurts about twenty times worse than when I have before.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Jeebus Norse. So glad you're OK. Heal up mang.
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

Heal up Norse hope to get to ski with you this winter.

Damm. Heal up norseman. About the same time that was going down I was on the upper traverse off of Armstrong that goes under shot 6 with my 9 year old daughter. She kept stopping below the cliffs so I had to get on her about the hazard from above as there was starting to be some spindrift sluff.
    In other news east tiger toured pretty good today from the summit of 18. Lol.
    "Great barbecue makes you want to slap your granny up the side of her head." - Southern Saying

oof, too close!
    Heal up, Norseman
    Glad you're still with us (& any unnamed mags that were with you)!

Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    oof, too close!
    Heal up, Norseman
    Glad you're still with us (& any unnamed mags that were with you)!
    +1. Hope the ribs heal quick, Norseman.

Shit! Pinning it being chased by slabs mustve got the heart pumping. Glad you're ok Norse. Good call on the reaction

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

Heal up Norseman.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Add Laughing to the do not do list for a few days.

Happy this was a walk away event for you norSe.
    ​I am not in your hurry