Page 21 of 116 FirstFirst ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by divegirl View Post
    Jumping in here to say Vibes to Norseman...I heard about your fall and hope you feel better soon!

Also paging Abraham...let’s go paddle boarding.

Also also...y’all dudes need to meet up again and make night skiing a regular thing. Legoskier came home all happy, was stoked for 2 days on skiing with mags. In short...this wife encourages it.

PS we will be at Alpental on Sunday freezing our asses off. Anyone else?

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

^^^ Army convoy lost a rig that rolled over, looked like it had something in tow.

Closed at mile 52
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed el Loco View Post
    ^^^ Army convoy lost a rig that rolled over, looked like it had something in tow.
    Go Army!
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    It was likely 2200ft/lap, so 4400ft of vert in 3 hours. You also should factor in having fresh legs each time for the descent, avalanche mitigated slopes, able to ski much steeper gnarlier lines that you (I) would under similar conditions in the BC, and free/quick carcass transport to a waiting amberlance should something go wrong.

Everytime im in one of those lines having a 2 runs in 3 hours kind of day i try and just remind myself of that. Otherwise I end up in a positive feedback loop of anxiety and bitterness and that is good for no one. But, yes. Please spread the word far and wide- remind everyone you know that Alpental is a total clusterfuck on anything resembling a powder day and it should be avoided.

All that is to say, that i certainly understand, and to an extent share your perspective.
    You nailed it IMO. I don't like long lift lines, but if I want to ski some version of International in the bc I'm not going to do it on a day with that kind of hazard. I love touring, but it is a whole different thing in terms of managing risk, terrain selection, etc. Certainly it is a great option to avoid people and have a more remote experience, but not to ski the same terrain at the same time and in the same manner as you would at the resort.

Speaking of touring, why don't we push for more backcountry access rather than more resort development? Most of the intense crowding is on powder days and weekends/holidays - regular old weekdays are not busy. Better backcountry access to the right terrain could give enthusiasts a better experience (and get them out of the resort) more of the time, with lower cost and environmental impact than more lifts, lodges, etc.

Well it was country club empty up on the padded seats today. And still soft. It would be cool if they opened Hyak on Tuesdays from Jan-March.

Funny moment when I was leaving around 3pm: Big fancy white truck with two nice sleds on the back driving around the lot "Hey, man, are you leaving? Can I buy your ticket off you".

Quote Originally Posted by lrn2swim View Post
    Also, check out this dude from Sunday at Hyak.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    I know that guy he’s a top notch kook
    “I have a responsibility to not be intimidated and bullied by low life losers who abuse what little power is granted to them as ski patrollers.”

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    They should make Armstrong a double. A tram from the peak of West across i90 to the base of chair 2 would be dope. Ban snowboarding.

MAGA!!!

Make Alpy Great Again.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I can remember when it was a double and the was a sign on the footbridge that said “No Snowboards”
    “I have a responsibility to not be intimidated and bullied by low life losers who abuse what little power is granted to them as ski patrollers.”

Quote Originally Posted by snoqpass View Post
    I can remember when it was a double and the was a sign on the footbridge that said “No Snowboards”
    Circa 1988

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Ed el Loco View Post
    Interesting, I drove by all that around 7:00 p.m. and was wondering what was going on with all the big vehicles.

Saw two groups across the way on Mt Snoqualmie with headlamps. One group slowly made it down but the others were toward the top and never budged. Hope all was good there.

I had a blast skiing with my 7 & 9 year old as well as Sorrybro & his daughter on Wildside last night. Well, the skiing itself was muted by the fact that my kids are super slow. But it was awesome to see my 2nd grader take on the wildside face and push himself way outside his comfort zone. It was also good to get my normally timid kids skiing with another kid who's a lot faster than they are. Good times were had and the kids were all asleep by the time we got to Issaquah.

Back to the ski area expansion for just a second, Ski Lifts Inc. owns the parcel outlined in this image. They also own the section due north that encompasses source lake. Again, most of those two parcels are within the wilderness boundary. I realize that changing those boundaries may be impossible, but the practical side of me just thinks that there could be a common good to say, swap some large tract of unprotected land in another part of the state for an expanded area around one of the already developed ski areas to allow for not just more lift capacity but expanded terrain.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Denny Creek Holding.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	730.9 KB 
ID:	362362

Quote Originally Posted by snoqpass View Post
    I remember that sign, send those wannabes back down to hyak! you two planker wankers
    was there the 1st year they allowed boards and it was awesome!!totally ruined me for skis
    the trollers had a good time chasing that hippie on the doughboy poaching the bc all the time, fuckin' scrapers ruined the bumps though
    embrace the gape
    and believe

Quote Originally Posted by Buke View Post
    I had a blast skiing with my 7 & 9 year old as well as Sorrybro & his daughter on Wildside last night. Well, the skiing itself was muted by the fact that my kids are super slow. But it was awesome to see my 2nd grader take on the wildside face and push himself way outside his comfort zone. It was also good to get my normally timid kids skiing with another kid who's a lot faster than they are. Good times were had and the kids were all asleep by the time we got to Issaquah.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Denny Creek Holding.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	730.9 KB 
ID:	362362
    What time did it start rolling? We tried crossing over from Central and the patroller said wild side wasn't opening anytime soon and that was at 4:00 so we bagged it and went Alpental

You're tripping. Seattle hikers and other environmental folk would be up in a rage if you tried to build a ski lift in Denny creek. And I'd probably agree with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Yonder_River View Post
    What time did it start rolling? We tried crossing over from Central and the patroller said wild side wasn't opening anytime soon and that was at 4:00 so we bagged it and went Alpental
    Wildside spun at ~5:10. Line wasn't bad (< 5 min.) and snow held up all night. Fun finding little stashes and hearing her get excited for "all this powder".

Crossed back over to Central at ~8:45 because my daughter wanted to hit Parachute and then Hog Wild. Went down to Central Express, but didn't notice all the lights there were out and they had shut down the lift. 9 year old was ready to ski until 10pm, but didn't want to hike back up to 360, so we left.

Quote Originally Posted by kamtron View Post
    You're tripping. Seattle hikers and other environmental folk would be up in a rage if you tried to build a ski lift in Denny creek. And I'd probably agree with them.
    I think he's saying to trade this Denny Creek parcel for an unprotected parcel close to existing resorts that could be built out. I don't think building up Denny Creek would ever be feasible.

Quote Originally Posted by phatty View Post
    I think he's saying to trade this Denny Creek parcel for an unprotected parcel close to existing resorts that could be built out. I don't think building up Denny Creek would ever be feasible.
    I've always figured that changing any wilderness designations was DOA and even doing public/private land swaps was pretty unlikely with the political climate in WA, but I do think there is a ton of land that's owned by whichever forestry company or private equity company it last changed hands to up on the N Fork of the Snoq that could be suitable for a resort if someone developed the FS roads that go there and dealt with water and power permits and all that. If you didn't want to do it on private land there's definitely public land up in that area that could make a ski area.

The trouble with all the non-FS land (and even most of the FS land that's outside wilderness areas) that could be developed, I think, is elevation. Even if it would work today, or 10 years ago, it's hard to imagine that with impending climate change and the rising snow levels that have happened in the region of the past 20-30 years, that any project would be viable.

Quote Originally Posted by ptavv View Post
    I've always figured that changing any wilderness designations was DOA and even doing public/private land swaps was pretty unlikely with the political climate in WA, but I do think there is a ton of land that's owned by whichever forestry company or private equity company it last changed hands to up on the N Fork of the Snoq that could be suitable for a resort if someone developed the FS roads that go there and dealt with water and power permits and all that. If you didn't want to do it on private land there's definitely public land up in that area that could make a ski area.

The trouble with all the non-FS land (and even most of the FS land that's outside wilderness areas) that could be developed, I think, is elevation. Even if it would work today, or 10 years ago, it's hard to imagine that with impending climate change and the rising snow levels that have happened in the region of the past 20-30 years, that any project would be viable.
    SL goes from 3,000' to 4000+ pretty quick once you get away from the east winds in the I90 corridor. Like from a 100" snowpack to 6" on the ground in a matter of 10 miles.

sunday. have to work AM, but hope to be on hill by noon. seems like respectable refresher system, hope to see some folks out there.
    Do I detect a lot of anger flowing around this place? Kind of like a pubescent volatility, some angst, a lot of I'm-sixteen-and-angry-at-my-father syndrome?

fuck that noise.

gmen.

I do think there is a ton of land that's owned by whichever forestry company or private equity company it last changed hands to up on the N Fork of the Snoq that could be suitable for a resort if someone developed the FS roads that go there and dealt with water and power permits and all that.
    The remaining private land along the north fork is fairly limited and low elevation.

As Dromond notes, thinning the over grown old forest service clearcuts and advocating for new snow parks the best way to improve skiing in WA.
    The trumpet scatters its awful sound Over the graves of all lands Summoning all before the throne

Death and mankind shall be stunned When Nature arises To give account before the Judge

Quote Originally Posted by kamtron View Post
    Agreed, I wouldn't advocate for developing a ski lift in Denny Creek either.

Quote Originally Posted by phatty View Post
    That's exactly what I'm saying. I was surprised to see how much land the Ski area owns. I had no idea that when you climb the tooth you're actually on private land, albeit it's inside the wilderness area and there may be agreements that I'm not aware of that make it all but public.

I've always figured that changing any wilderness designations was DOA and even doing public/private land swaps was pretty unlikely with the political climate in WA, but I do think there is a ton of land that's owned by whichever forestry company or private equity company it last changed hands to up on the N Fork of the Snoq
    I'm sure that's true and that it's totally infeasible to actually expand ski areas. I can only think of two cases of ski area expansions in Washington in the last 20 years or so (I admit my knowledge on the topic is limited). 1. The White Pass expansion which had been part of their master plan for decades and seemed to be buried in endless legal battles forever before it was actually realized. 2. Crystal building the Northway lift, but I don't think that really expanded the ski area so much as just put a lift into an area that was already within the ski area boundary but not lift served.

With that said, it does seem like there's a lot of private land in areas that the environmental crowd would love to see preserved that could be purchased and then exchanged for a modest expansion of say Stevens, or Crystal, or even Snoqualmie. You know, trade 10,000 acres of currently at risk timber land near an existing wilderness area for 1000 acres of land adjacent to an existing resort that already sees really high usage and significant human impact. I realize that's a crazy idea and the odds of it happening are about 1 in 1 billion but man, why does that have to be the case?

My point in all of this is simply that there is clearly demand for more lift accessible terrain. I don't think that problem is going away anytime soon. I think that expanding lift capacity within the existing ski area footprints is more like a bandaid solution than a real solution. I fully understand that the logistical hurdles to expand ski area footprints are probably insurmountable, not to mention the financial risk posed by climate change.

In the case of Alpental, I do wonder why none of the proposals in their master use analysis didn't include pushing lifts further out the valley considering that they own the land and the wilderness boundary would technically allow it. Or maybe they did propose that and I just didn't see it. I'm sure there are all kinds of reasons why that's not really feasible, not least of which the fact that most of that terrain is complex. No doubt intermediate groomers are best for their bottom line and spending a fortune to get more double blacks probably doesn't pencil out...

I have a novel idea. Sell less tickets, no IKON deals, and pass holders only days. That goes for all the resorts in Western Wa. Your local ski hill has been sold out. They don't care about your experience. They just want your money.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Edelweiss Chair and beyond... Alpental , The valley and the rest of snocrummy

Quote Originally Posted by b0ardski View Post
    I remember that sign, send those wannabes back down to hyak! you two planker wankers
    was there the 1st year they allowed boards and it was awesome!!totally ruined me for skis
    the trollers had a good time chasing that hippie on the doughboy poaching the bc all the time, fuckin' scrapers ruined the bumps though
    You never gave up your poles though, I’m heading north next month to that hippies neighborhood he’s mellowed out a little bit

No pics, but alpental was cold and windy tonight... Which meant a whole lot of wind transport and some really fun snow conditions. There is gonna be some seriously blown in spots on upper mountain tomorrow.

Kept getting an ice cream headache on the lift ride up, even with no skin showing.

I'll be up this afternoon solo from 11-4 or so, PM or holler if you want to share a sidecountry lap or two. Navy jacket, brown pants, older Enforcers underfoot.

Edit: that was awesome. 30 minute elevator laps until the legs fall off. Only minor bummer was shattering my 16 y.o. bc pass. I guess it got brittle from being so damn cold.
    Last edited by bfree; 02-12-2021 at 06:30 PM.