Page 52 of 115 FirstFirst ... 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 ... LastLast
Results 1,276 to 1,300 of 2860
    Quote Originally Posted by LegoSkier View Post
    In other news east tiger toured pretty good today from the summit of 18. Lol.
    Nice. Some of the clearcuts have enough snow to ski, or just stick to the roads?

Norseman , Super stoked u are still with us but more importantly here to watch ur children grow up. Heal up fast my friend and feel better soon. Hope you will back on ur sticks soon. I don’t think Dan will ever forget to turn his transceiver on again. Again stoked u guys are alive
    always forward but never straight

legend of Norseman grows: he can outrun avalanches AND raise daughters

Super thankful all made it out alive and just a little worse for wear. Heel up Norsemang! Dan is super lucky his hand came clear, esp since he forgot his beeper.
    Slackey and those involved, curious where the cornice released in this pic?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4100.JPG 
Views:	147 
Size:	361.6 KB 
ID:	399621

Get well Norse.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    Super thankful all made it out alive and just a little worse for wear. Heel up Norsemang! Dan is super lucky his hand came clear, esp since he forgot his beeper.

Name:	alpy avalanche (2)_LI.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	2.23 MB 
ID:	399624

Jesus, glad everyone is ok, especially with a beacon turned off. Heal up, rib injuries suck.

Quote Originally Posted by bfree View Post
    Nice. Some of the clearcuts have enough snow to ski, or just stick to the roads?
    Roads only. Even though there was 2 to 3 ft up top there is a ton of slash in the clear cuts.

Woh Norse, that sounds intense! Glad it all turned out ok. Sobering..

I'm just lurking I all the threads with snow these days, but damn, Norse. Be careful and heal up.
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

Is it evil for me to hope for an afternoon start to the lifts as I cannot get there till after work? I feel guilty for these bad thoughts. Stay safe all.

Quote Originally Posted by puma View Post
    Is it evil for me to hope for an afternoon start to the lifts as I cannot get there till after work? I feel guilty for these bad thoughts. Stay safe all.
    Power is still out my guess is that will announce soon that it won't spin today

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by SeatownSlackey View Post

Name:	alpy avalanche (2)_LI.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	2.23 MB 
ID:	399624
    Thanks man. Thought that might be the location but didn’t want to guess. That is some bad timing to be below that when it went. Really no way to predict that.

Thanks man. Thought that might be the location but didn’t want to guess. That is some bad timing to be below that when it went. Really no way to predict that.
    NWAC had a picture from alpental patrol in the forecast discussion yesterday. From a slightly different angle you can see two crowns. That might explain the second wave that Dan described hitting him. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image000000%20(21)_61d254c635698.jpeg 
Views:	102 
Size:	53.6 KB 
ID:	399694

Glad you’re mostly ok Norse, and HUGE thanks for the write up

Quote Originally Posted by Andyski View Post
    Agreed. While Saturday was my first time out of that gate, it certainly made me think much more about spacing. After the traverse, my group took turns and navigated to "safe" zones one at a time, but speaking for myself, I was not as conscious about spacing when actually on the traverse. That will not be a mistake I make again.

Thanks again for the outpouring of support from the woodwork. This is just a silly message board but I am honored to have met/skied/partied with pretty much all of you chiming in and I count you as dear friends.

I keep gettin more and more pissed off thinkin about the little fuckups that our party exhibited that could've made for a much worse outcome if they had compounded in a slightly different way. I'm finding myself processing the terror/angst into plans for future action including further rescue practice/coursework, gear/weather/attitude checks @ lot4, BC protocol and comms discussions, etc. Tighten up!

Know what else pisses me off? Trying to get a chest x-ray (or any other form of care, really) in this facked up healthcare scene.

Urgent Care 1: "We don't do ribs." Uh, ok.
    Call primary provider: goes thru to voicemail.
    Urgent Care 2, after standing in the snain for 20 minutes: "We are only doing covid tests today, go up to the next town."
    Urgent Care 3: "We aren't taking walk-ins, we're full with appointments today and tomorrow."
    Urgent Care 4: "Sure, we'll see you, but the wait time right now is 3 hours. Please sit over there." After 20 minutes of sitting in the lobby watching the steady stream of hacking redneck fucks coming in wanting a covid test, I bailed, thinking that I'd surely contract the vidz if I waited in that goddamn place any longer. Front desk gal agreed and expressed grave concern for the imminent collapse of the entire healthcare system. Great.
    ER seemed like an even worse idea.

Finally got thru to primary with an appointment for the next day (today). WTF

Quote Originally Posted by Mofro261 View Post

Glad you came out largely OK there Norse, just don't sneeze or fart for the next 4-6weeks and yer good.
    No sneezes yet (thank lawdy) but fartin and poopin are indeed no goot.

Quote Originally Posted by counterfeitfake View Post
    Glad you're all right. If you had looked up, what would you have done? Do you mean you would not have ventured out, or you would have had a few seconds more warning?

I figured there was always an attempt made to control the stuff above the traverse.

Easy to hind-sight it but I think that a glance up the slope before starting out of the trees might have offered a visual on the slide and we could've stayed put. Not that that tree band is a safe place ("Not Safe Trees") but in this particular slide it was enough of a break to keep the others from getting swept. A larger slide would've involved the whole party.

Quote Originally Posted by phatty View Post
    Whoa! Glad you are safe, Norse! As I read the report, I had a feeling there were Mags involved. Bummer about the injury but it could have been so much worse. How's Dan doing?
    Not sure on Dan, I don't have his number. I should, though. He was cool as a cucumber that day but I bet he's a little shaken after the fact.

Quote Originally Posted by Self Jupiter View Post
    Good to hear you and your party are OK, Norseman. Heal up!
    Thanks, J. Hope to ski with you this winter still. How's the back? Been on skis some?

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    Heal up Norseman, glad it wasn’t worse than it was and hope your season isn’t impacted too much. Nice talking with you.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Thanks man, it was good to finally meet you.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    Bummer, d00d. You and Alpy don't seem to be very good for you.
    Heal fast and well.
    Well it seems to alternate quickly between good and bad. This time was very bad then very good. I'll take it.

Quote Originally Posted by thejongiest View Post
    Damn Norse, glad you were able to come out of it. We were just over in Pineapple Pass and I too was a little too lax on being worried about objective overhead hazard after all the stability.
    I read that you backed out of the Bryant that day, though? Good call, NWAC obs include someone triggering a slab in there in the damn dark.

Quote Originally Posted by garyfromterrace View Post
    Hey Norse, glad this was not a worse outcome. Fast healing buddy. I thought that was a very good write up of the incident BTW.
    Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    Glad all are okay. Oven range size blocks sound pretty gnarly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dromond View Post
    I’m sorry to hear about the injury, but relieved that you all avoided the worst outcome.
    Quote Originally Posted by puma View Post
    Glad you are ok Norse.

Feels like de ja vu with the damn power and i90...

Looks like alpental tomorrow night for me. Enjoy the freshies tomorrow morning.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ski to Be View Post
    Get well soon Norse. Glad it wasn't worse.
    Quote Originally Posted by SorryBro View Post
    Norse, so happy you are relatively okay! Thanks for both write-ups.

Everyone should read the NWAC summary/report. Good post-analysis and reminders that the side country is still BC and good practices should always be discussed. We have all gotten lax once in a while...
    Quote Originally Posted by oftpiste View Post
    Jeebus Norse. So glad you're OK. Heal up mang.
    Quote Originally Posted by carlh View Post
    Heal up Norse hope to get to ski with you this winter.
    Quote Originally Posted by LegoSkier View Post
    Damm. Heal up norseman. About the same time that was going down I was on the upper traverse off of Armstrong that goes under shot 6 with my 9 year old daughter. She kept stopping below the cliffs so I had to get on her about the hazard from above as there was starting to be some spindrift sluff.
    In other news east tiger toured pretty good today from the summit of 18. Lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    oof, too close!
    Heal up, Norseman
    Glad you're still with us (& any unnamed mags that were with you)!
    Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    +1. Hope the ribs heal quick, Norseman.
    Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    Shit! Pinning it being chased by slabs mustve got the heart pumping. Glad you're ok Norse. Good call on the reaction

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app
    Quote Originally Posted by tmokes View Post
    Heal up Norseman.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Gepeto View Post
    Add Laughing to the do not do list for a few days.

Happy this was a walk away event for you norSe.
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker/boarder View Post
    Norseman , Super stoked u are still with us but more importantly here to watch ur children grow up. Heal up fast my friend and feel better soon. Hope you will back on ur sticks soon. I don’t think Dan will ever forget to turn his transceiver on again. Again stoked u guys are alive

Name:	IMG_4100.JPG 
Views:	147 
Size:	361.6 KB 
ID:	399621
    Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    Get well Norse.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lahar View Post
    Jesus, glad everyone is ok, especially with a beacon turned off. Heal up, rib injuries suck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yonder_River View Post
    Woh Norse, that sounds intense! Glad it all turned out ok. Sobering..
    Quote Originally Posted by subtle plague View Post
    I'm just lurking I all the threads with snow these days, but damn, Norse. Be careful and heal up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyski View Post

Thanks, doods. Means a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Damn Norse.

Glad you're ok!

We should start a broken ribs club. This time around hurts about twenty times worse than when I have before.
    Ribs fuckin suck for sure. What do we do in the club? Sit around drinking, bitch about Alterra/Frank, try not to laugh or fart? Sorry about yours man. Good story at least?

Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    legend of Norseman grows: he can outrun avalanches AND raise daughters
    Or, he gets his ass handed to him by giant debris on the regular.

~~~~

aight, lets move on from this nightmare.

Edelweiss Chair and beyond... Alpental , The valley and the rest of snocrummy

Moving on…

If the power isn’t out tomorrow I hope to ride some padded seats. I hope the pow techs aren’t too numerous.

Kooks HMU
    Last edited by jackattack; 01-04-2022 at 12:54 PM.

Skied the Fir before work today.

It was ughh...quite deep....

Hopefully the mags out there reaping the goods right now.
    "Poop is funny" - Frank Reynolds

www.experiencedgear.net

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    Thanks again for the outpouring of support from the woodwork. This is just a silly message board but I am honored to have met/skied/partied with pretty much all of you chiming in and I count you as dear friends.

I keep gettin more and more pissed off thinkin about the little fuckups that our party exhibited that could've made for a much worse outcome if they had compounded in a slightly different way. I'm finding myself processing the terror/angst into plans for future action including further rescue practice/coursework, gear/weather/attitude checks @ lot4, BC protocol and comms discussions, etc. Tighten up!

Know what else pisses me off? Trying to get a chest x-ray (or any other form of care, really) in this facked up healthcare scene.

Urgent Care 1: "We don't do ribs." Uh, ok.
    Urgent Care 2, after standing in the snain for 20 minutes: "We are only doing covid tests today, go up to the next town."
    Urgent Care 3: "We aren't taking walk-ins, we're full with appointments today and tomorrow."
    Urgent Care 4: "Sure, we'll see you, but the wait time right now is 3 hours. Please sit over there." After 20 minutes of sitting in the lobby watching the steady stream of hacking redneck fucks coming in wanting a covid test, I bailed, thinking that I'd surely contract the vidz if I waited in that goddamn place any longer. Front desk gal agreed and expressed grave concern for the imminent collapse of the entire healthcare system. Great.
    ER seemed like an even worse idea.

Finally got thru to primary with an appointment for the next day (today). WTF

No sneezes yet (thank lawdy) but fartin and poopin are indeed no goot.

Easy to hind-sight it but I think that a glance up the slope before starting out of the trees might have offered a visual on the slide and we could've stayed put. Not that that tree band is a safe place ("Not Safe Trees") but in this particular slide it was enough of a break to keep the others from getting swept. A larger slide would've involved the whole party.

Not sure on Dan, I don't have his number. I should, though. He was cool as a cucumber that day but I bet he's a little shaken after the fact.

Thanks, J. Hope to ski with you this winter still. How's the back? Been on skis some?

Thanks man, it was good to finally meet you.

Well it seems to alternate quickly between good and bad. This time was very bad then very good. I'll take it.

I read that you backed out of the Bryant that day, though? Good call, NWAC obs include someone triggering a slab in there in the damn dark.

Thanks, doods. Means a lot.

Ribs fuckin suck for sure. What do we do in the club? Sit around drinking, bitch about Alterra/Frank, try not to laugh or fart? Sorry about yours man. Good story at least?

Or, he gets his ass handed to him by giant debris on the regular.

~~~~

aight, lets move on from this nightmare.

The what ifs are gonna be with ya for a while. I still have nightmares.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    Just saw that report, we were worried about windslab exactly there and we turned around about 100 feet short of the shoulder around Bryant Peak. The spindrift off the top was increasingly strong and there was a small windslab forming right there in very much no fall terrain. Basically decided that the risk of conditions deteriorating would make turning around from the Bryant shoulder no bueno, not to mention the cliff hazard at the bottom of the couloir if we were to go forward. Glad we turned when we did.

I think things were so good the couple days before that everyone was hoping it would stay the same on Sunday and had their guard down, but the storm came in a lot earlier and stronger than expected (especially compared to NWACs report the night before) and conditions deteriorated super rapidly.

They must have been on a long tour out to be there at night time? Sounds super sketchy.

Sorry to hear Norseman but you have much to be thankful for, you're here! It doesn't take much to become eliminated. Experiencing the force of a slide like that is definitely an eye opener. Busted ribs suck but they heal quickly. Eat yer weed and chill and you'll be back at it in no time.

I'm pretty sure I had some heavy PTSD from the slide I was in in 2006. I didn't handle it very well tbh. Hopefully that's not an issue for ya.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Echoing the sentiment, glad you are safe Norseman, I too had some PTSD over a full burial, definitely change my outlook on getting after it in the backcountry.
    Oh and for what its worth I too broke (3) ribs in October, the visit went like this,
    Dr after looking at the X-Ray, "yep they are broke alright. Me, what should I do" Dr "Dont do anything that hurts for 4-6 weeks. Me, should I wrap them? Dr "we dont do that anymore, take a mixture of Ibuprofen and Tylenol. " That will be $1,000 please.
    Bottom line - other than confirming your ribs are broken that visit to instacare wont do much for you.
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

Ouch:

January 4, 2022: Ops Update: Power is back out. Currently Central Express, Triple60, & Holiday are open. We plan to open Silver Fir at 1pm. Alpental will remain closed today and we're now aiming to reopen that area Wednesday morning. Night skiing at Summit Central is tbd, if we do not have power by 3pm we will have to close early at 4pm.

Was planning to load up and head up there after a call at 1.30...Maybe worth it for some Silver Fir "untouched" goodness?

This morning's driving was quite sporty, as was parking in the Hyak lot. But an early start before work today paid off with a couple laps that were among the deepest I've ever had there. Thankfully someone local put in an uptrack yesterday so we didn't have to break trail all the way up. Lots of faceshots, almost not steep enough to move around. If it stays cold up there, tomorrow at Alpental will be nuts.