Page 83 of 120 FirstFirst ... 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 ... LastLast
Results 2,051 to 2,075 of 2998
    Overheard at Central - "Alpental's nice, but there's just not that much to it."

Yeah if you're a low intermediate skier that's true.

We need more parking everywhere.
    that's all i can think of, but i'm sure there's something else...

Quote Originally Posted by counterfeitfake View Post
    Yeah if you're a low intermediate skier that's true.

We need more parking everywhere.
    Honestly, if you are an advanced 5-day per year skier its also true. Alpental is not great unless you are an expert and in great ski shape. And then its phenominal. But if you arent in great shape and an expert skier you aren't likely to have a great time. Its a true experts mountain that is as likely to punish as reward.

Quote Originally Posted by vonn View Post
    Overheard at Central - "Alpental's nice, but there's just not that much to it."
    That comment said from someone at Crystal is understandable, but from Summit Central……hahaha

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Excellent morning! 3-7" fresh and the place was a ghost town. Left at 1130 and I could still recognize my tracks from many previous laps. Sure, the lumpy bottom could very much be felt in a lot of places, but still, I'll take that over a crowded powder day anytime.

Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    . Its a true experts mountain that is as likely to punish as reward.
    I was punished by snake dance today.

Quote Originally Posted by bfree View Post
    Excellent morning! 3-7" fresh and the place was a ghost town. Left at 1130 and I could still recognize my tracks from many previous laps. Sure, the lumpy bottom could very much be felt in a lot of places, but still, I'll take that over a crowded powder day anytime.
    Can confirm. Lapped around with the kids until 1:30 with no lines. Snow got real heavy down low, but the groomers got soft and slushy turns were made.

Snow felt good up high but it was damp dank on the lower mtn. Skied w my kid so that was nice.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20230127_144434.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	1,001.8 KB 
ID:	444864

Name:	20230127_144435.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	1,016.9 KB 
ID:	444865

Name:	20230127_144436.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	940.8 KB 
ID:	444866
    Move upside and let the man go through...

Quote Originally Posted by Mofro261 View Post
    Snow felt good up high but it was damp dank on the lower mtn. Skied w my kid so that was nice.

Name:	20230127_144434.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	1,001.8 KB 
ID:	444864

Name:	20230127_144435.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	1,016.9 KB 
ID:	444865

Name:	20230127_144436.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	940.8 KB 
ID:	444866
    Fknsndr

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Anyone else braving the cold and “lift ticket sold out” to head up today. I’ll be at alpental blue coat orangish helmet and possibly a poacher vest testing out some r99s.

Parking lot was crowded but the slopes were not today. Nice mix of leftovers, dust on crust and the most grooming I have ever seen at Alpy. Views were top notch.
    Name:  D323ED61-3F03-4AC4-8484-C105B151DD63.jpeg
Views: 983
Size:  143.1 KB

didn't notice till looking closely at ^that image just now but there are tracks at the Chair Pk summit and two people on the E face

couple more...

upper slopes pristine:

.... lower slopes HAMMERED by lot 4 tourons. Lots of folks out n about.

Last edited by Norseman; 01-29-2023 at 10:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post

didn't notice till looking closely at ^that image just now but there are tracks at the Chair Pk summit and two people on the E face

couple more...

upper slopes pristine:

.... lower slopes HAMMERED by lot 4 tourons. Lots of folks out n about.

2 climbers spotted on the tooth as well. Sun's out guns out or something like that...

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post

I was up on the Chair Peak shoulder in April 14 and noticed two skiers climbing up, and then skiing down that line. Turned out to be Drew Trabke, who also is believed to be the first to ski the line in 2011 with Dan Helmstadter

Name:	P1100312.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	795.1 KB 
ID:	445209

Name:	P1100320.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	783.1 KB 
ID:	445213

Name:	P1100321.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	957.3 KB 
ID:	445211
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1100320.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	850.2 KB 
ID:	445210  

Quote Originally Posted by altasnob View Post
    Drew Trabke, who also is believed to be the first to ski the line in 2011 with Dan Helmstadter
    It was skied before the internet, I know for a fact. It never ceases to amaze me how many skiers from post social media days think they have done something first especially in the Snoqualmie Pass area. A lot of the terrain has already been skied but not posted about so the whole world has to know what you did. Most of the people who did those lines are quite comfortable in their anonymity. Drew is a pretty good skier and good guy who has done some impressive stuff though.
    “I have a responsibility to not be intimidated and bullied by low life losers who abuse what little power is granted to them as ski patrollers.”

Before the internet? You mean what... before Livejournal? Before rec.sport.skiing? 2011 was a long time ago, Instagram was apparently released October 2010.

If they're comfortable in their anonymity and don't need credit, you should get comfortable with it too. No need to post to take credit away from the first reported descent.
    that's all i can think of, but i'm sure there's something else...

Edelweiss Chair and beyond... Alpental , The valley and the rest of snocrummy

Quote Originally Posted by counterfeitfake View Post
    Before the internet? You mean what... before Livejournal? Before rec.sport.skiing? 2011 was a long time ago, Instagram was apparently released October 2010.

If they're comfortable in their anonymity and don't need credit, you should get comfortable with it too. No need to post to take credit away from the first reported descent.
    Sky skied the North Face of Chair Peak in 2006
    http://alpenglow.org/nwmj/06/061_Shorts4.html#r2

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Not pre internet but the first documented decent

This is what was skied
    https://instagram.com/stories/garret...d=NDdhMjNiZDg=

Yeah Garrett, Scott and Ian did it yesterday. Makes me want to go now.

I was wondering. A buddy of mine posted some pics from his avy 2 refresh that appeared to show 2 guys near the summit of Chair Peak. He said they were climbers on the NE Buttress. Not sure if it's the same as the people in Norseman's photos or not.

I skied Bryant Couloir a week ago (Monday) and was kind of shocked by how many tracks there were absolutely everywhere around source lake from folks touring on Sunday. Bryant looked like Upper Nash at the end of a busy day. This sport has blown up. On a plus side, if you're willing to go just a little farther out, there are still lots of areas that don't see much traffic. It sure does make it hard to get fresh tracks before work though. It also kind of amazes me what people are willing to ski immediately after a storm. It seems like the odds of more avalanche accidents are going to go up with the hordes of people looking to get fresh tracks. Beware the fresh Tracks heuristic trap I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by thejongiest View Post
    Yeah Garrett, Scott and Ian did it yesterday. Makes me want to go now.
    No offense J dawg but you're kidding right?

Quote Originally Posted by Buke View Post
    It also kind of amazes me what people are willing to ski immediately after a storm. It seems like the odds of more avalanche accidents are going to go up with the hordes of people looking to get fresh tracks. Beware the fresh Tracks heuristic trap I guess.
    Maybe there haven't been more accidents precisely because those areas hammerd by tourons and the snowpack resembles something more inbounds than BC. But yeah, lots of aggressive lines happening when patrol is bombing the same type of slope just down valley.

The line of chair peak is pretty darn sweet especially for how easy access it is. Personally, ill try and stick to fall-friendly lines and zones haha.

Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    Maybe there haven't been more accidents precisely because those areas hammerd by tourons and the snowpack resembles something more inbounds than BC. But yeah, lots of aggressive lines happening when patrol is bombing the same type of slope just down valley.
    Yeah, skier compaction may play into it. Also, our typically stable maritime snowpack doesn't hurt.

For the record, I'm not critiquing the people out skiing rad lines this weekend, or last weekend. I'm sure they were all dialed in to the snowpack and making solid decisions. It's more just my musings about how many people are crawling around on every skiable surface in that valley and I feel like it's somewhat inevitable that someone gets caught in the wrong place in the wrong time.

One of the neat things about the Chair NE Buttress is it's fairly easy to peer down the top of it. Climb the basic winter route and stick your head over the edge. I'll ski pretty much anything at Alpental, yet looking down that line gave me a BIG pucker.

Yeah, we skied the north face of the west sub-peak of Chair. We saw a bunch of climbers headed up the NE Buttress route, but it's way too thin right now for anyone to make a ski attempt on it.

Our line doesn't get skied often, but it's no NE Buttress. To my knowledge that hasn't been skied since Drew did it

Name:	Melakwa-7.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	1.48 MB 
ID:	445351

Name:	IMG_4776.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	598.7 KB 
ID:	445352