Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

which belay/big puffy jacket do i want?

Been looking around for a jacket to replace my OR Transcendent. I want something a little beefier. Thinking about the OR Super Alpine. I need to bridge warmth and packability as this will basically live in my pack until needed. I am open to synthetic, too, as insulation when wet would be nice. Something with 2-way zips would be awesome. What are the mag recommendations?
    swing your fucking sword.

Patty DAS light looks pretty good.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E13B52B0-3DC6-4E10-BF8A-7C0F7B4482DD.jpeg 
Views:	114 
Size:	36.8 KB 
ID:	349071

gore-Tex.
    Do I detect a lot of anger flowing around this place? Kind of like a pubescent volatility, some angst, a lot of I'm-sixteen-and-angry-at-my-father syndrome?

fuck that noise.

gmen.

I have a fuck off weather parka, but I wouldn't want to pack it.

which belay/big puffy jacket do i want?

Interested?

Name:	IMG_0138.JPG 
Views:	91 
Size:	172.4 KB 
ID:	349073

OR Illuminate Down Hoody....Large. Got it here from SkiLyft....catch and release...great price.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    we donts ussually gits but a week or 2 of the below zero in the satch
    i rock my cloudveil down patrol when we do
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Quote Originally Posted by BC. View Post
    Interested?

Name:	IMG_0138.JPG 
Views:	91 
Size:	172.4 KB 
ID:	349073

OR Illuminate Down Hoody....Large. Got it here from SkiLyft....catch and release...great price.

I appreciate the offer but I am an XL.

Quote Originally Posted by volklpowdermaniac View Post

Name:	E13B52B0-3DC6-4E10-BF8A-7C0F7B4482DD.jpeg 
Views:	114 
Size:	36.8 KB 
ID:	349071

gore-Tex.
    ah, yes. the arc'teryx costanza sv with gore windstopper. a great piece, i hear.

If you can find a deal, Arc’teryx cerium SV is a pretty awesome piece of kit. Otherwise, montbell makes some great stuff with 6+oz of down, or you could look into smaller brands like feathered friends, Timmermade, etc for some more customizable stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by stealurface831 View Post
    Been looking around for a jacket to replace my OR Transcendent. I want something a little beefier. Thinking about the OR Super Alpine. I need to bridge warmth and packability as this will basically live in my pack until needed. I am open to synthetic, too, as insulation when wet would be nice. Something with 2-way zips would be awesome. What are the mag recommendations?
    When you say beefier, do you mean a more robust outer shell to hold up to abrasion and weather? Or just something warmer? That OR Transcendent would fit the bill if the former, if just the latter then it's getting a little heavy for something just to carry for warmth while stopped.

Also, in my experience synthetic insulation loses more loft over time when compressed often. I would only go that direction if using it in a really wet environment where keeping it dry will be difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    When you say beefier, do you mean a more robust outer shell to hold up to abrasion and weather? Or just something warmer? That OR Transcendent would fit the bill if the former, if just the latter then it's getting a little heavy for something just to carry for warmth while stopped.

Also, in my experience synthetic insulation loses more loft over time when compressed often. I would only go that direction if using it in a really wet environment where keeping it dry will be difficult.
    I really mean both: I want a decently abrasion and weather resistant fabric face but also more warmth. Ideally a jacket that provides ample static warmth in temps approaching zero but also has the durability to break trail and stand up against contact with rock faces. Interesting you say that about synthetic. I've always found that my down jackets have the greatest issues with loft compression. I'll look into that more. Ya got me thinking.

Feathered Friends Eos. Good sturdy fabric, tons of 900+down, low weight.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Jan at Nunatak will make you a custom jacket / parka. You're choice of fabrics, colors, features, etc. I had a Shaka made with full zip and custom fill.

https://nunatakusa.com/15-garments-down
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

depending on weatehr I go with 2 puffy, a lighter one and a big one

the light one is a Faction which Iike cuz its got lots of pockets and hood,

the big one is a Rab for colder than -10C

usually I buy them in person later in the season when the sales go on for 40-50 % off
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I have this, and can basically just pass out anywhere in it and not die.

https://www.eddiebauer.com/p/3883222...t%20Blue&size=

I have a wild things synthetic jacket with a heavier water resistant pertex face fabric that I love. Actually I'm wearing it right now. But its definitely not belay jacket warmth and pretty bulky in a pack. A quick look at their site makes it look like its not made anymore.

I think you may actually want two jackets to fill your needs? Something down/warm/light to throw on quick when stopping, then a synthetic insulated layer with a burlier face fabric for when durability is needed. I often pair the jacket I described above with a down vest to throw on quick if needed.

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    I have this, and can basically just pass out anywhere in it and not die.

https://www.eddiebauer.com/p/3883222...t%20Blue&size=
    ^^ mtm is right on this one.

dollar for dollar you will not find a warmer puffy anywhere. realistically though, that puffy is too warm for 95% of all conditions. it's a true 8000m puffy.

for what op is asking for, I'd look at something like the OR alpine or super alpine. Great feature set (I just bought the Alpine and I love it - stuff pockets, two way zip, baffled down, weather resistant exterior).

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

no puffy is going to be very bomber so when I get small rips or the nylon wears thru I keep a bottle of liquid bandage or nailpolish around and just dab it on the holes, either I push the feather back in or just dab it o the feather/hole and cut off the protruding feathe r

I never could figure out the rappers who wear an oversized puffy as a fashion statement ... its got to be hot

Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    ^^ mtm is right on this one.

dollar for dollar you will not find a warmer puffy anywhere. realistically though, that puffy is too warm for 95% of all conditions. it's a true 8000m puffy.

for what op is asking for, I'd look at something like the OR alpine or super alpine. Great feature set (I just bought the Alpine and I love it - stuff pockets, two way zip, baffled down, weather resistant exterior).

yeah, i am leaning towards the super alpine for the weather resistance. is is stupid warm? ya know, like, too warm?

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    no puffy is going to be very bomber so when I get small rips or the nylon wears thru I keep a bottle of liquid bandage or nailpolish around and just dab it on the holes, either I push the feather back in or just dab it o the feather/hole and cut off the protruding feather
    i always keep some gear tape from gear aid in my pack. it is great stuff.

yeah, i am leaning towards the super alpine for the weather resistance. is is stupid warm? ya know, like, too warm?
    I would say that the Alpine is on the scant side of a 6000m puffy. It's probably what I'm taking to the Cordillera Blanca next year, if that's any indication. IMO the Alpine is the right thickness for a ski touring crisis puffy, but not any thicker. The feature set on it, though, is damn near perfect

Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    IMO the Alpine is the right thickness for a ski touring crisis puffy, but not any thicker. The feature set on it, though, is damn near perfect
    inside dump pockets?

i always keep some gear tape from gear aid in my pack. it is great stuff.
    yeah i use that tenacious tape for the bigger holes, the liquid bandage or clear nailpolish is good for those annoy little holes

inside dump pockets?
    Yep, two of em. Big too.

Baffled in the front, sewn thru in the back. Heavier material in the shoulders (pertex quantum), double zip, big fat zippers, fleece lined pockets, and a helmet compatible, adjustable, lockable hood

WM Ion.
    If you are ok w/o hood, I have a Vapor.

WM stuff has very few bells and whistles, but super packable, lightweight, durable, and just well made. Not to mention warm.