Alpinist/M-Werks combo

Marker bindings suck and always pre-release or break. Or pre-release because they’re broken.

Cool. Got that out of the way. Now on to my question.

About to mount some alpinist 12s on some BC Corvus freebirds. I also have a pair of kingpins. I’m contemplating putting in inserts for both the alpinist heel and kingpin heel to be able
    to travel with both options if we ever get to travel again.

Anyone done this with the alpinist and kingpin/m-werks?

How is the hole comparability in the heel area?

Have you actually swapped heels enough to make it worth it?

Am I going to die?

Alpinist/M-Werks combo

Waxoff posted this in a different thread... I don’t want to get in trouble for stealing it but dam is it helpful. https://drive.google.com/drive/mobil...yYY6Gg2a3Dd245

I’m also interested in the answer to this question. I have kings on my Corvus FB but wouldn’t mind other heel holes.... if I keep the skis. Did you just get them new?

Sent from my iPhone using SuckMyDickJerry

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    been my tech experiances that things that suck
    suck
    i have both the try not to suck and embrace the suck t shirts
    you should git the embrace one
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Assuming that you're using the same boot in both bindings then the Alpinist heel shares two of the Kingpin heel locations so you just need to add another two inserts to a Kingpin mount and there's plenty of space to do that. I've done this for a number of customers who run the Kingpin heel a daily driver and swap out to the Alpinist heel for distance skinning.

The only pain with the Kingpin and Alpinist heels is that you have to move the the length adjustment setting to access the screws.

Can you buy just Alpinist heels?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

Quote Originally Posted by detrusor View Post

Nope

Spyderjon - thanks for the info! I don’t have the alpinists in hand yet so the info on the hole patterns is helpful. I agree with having to remove the heel tower of the kingpin being a bit of a pia. Will probably just mount with alpinists (live in Oregon and everything involves an approach) and making add holes for the kingpins if a trip calls for it.

Joey - Yeah. Just picked up a pair of 19/20s off evo a few weeks ago when they had them on mega sale.

Quote Originally Posted by detrusor View Post

Since you're in Frankenbinding mode, you might consider Kreuzspitz GT heels from skimo. That would of course be 4 extra holes instead of two. Maybe it just "pays" to buy both full binding sets & mount the Alpinist toes on a lighter pair of skis and do Alpinist heel inserts for those.

Better yet, just get one set of Raider 12s with the stomp pad to rule them all. Yeah, I know ... Kingpin heel ... yada ... yada.

It's real easy for me to spend yer money ;-)

[edit]Of course, in the bomber/ATK category, there's the Salomon MTN, if you can make peace with a U-spring and settling for fixed, interchangeable release springs.

Dunno, the Kingpin/Alpinist seem too close to each other. I can see a Shift + light binding. Everyone falls a bit differently on the continuum, however. I get it.

I see a lot of folks opting for Kingpins over Tectons. This is another head-scratcher for me.

... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 11-22-2020 at 11:50 PM.
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music